Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
m22ti - anemic bass?
#28949 12/27/03 11:14 PM
nagyg Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I set up my home theater with a Pioneer 912K and JBL's SCS150 surround speakers. While this works great for movies, e.g. opera DVDs require better speakers. I am thinking of getting a pair of good bookshelf speakers so I can listen to stereo sound via the 2nd speaker output of the pioneer receiver. The room is small - 13"x10". I can't have tower speakers... Having read a lot of reviews I am now leaning towards the Axiom M22ti. The anemic bass worries me a bit, though I don't know if opera really requires a strong bass?? How bad is the M22 bass really? Also, I have the JBL sub that could support the M22tis (would this setup work?).

Re: m22ti - anemic bass?
#28950 12/28/03 12:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
you would probbly want to have a sub for music and definetly for movies, but just so you know, you might want to get a better sub because theres no guarantess that the JBL would keep up with the axioms and would probbly muddy the sound. At least thats my expereicen with axioms and cheap subs.

#28951 12/28/03 01:30 AM
devotee
devotee
If towers are out of the question, than no speaker you can buy will have good deep bass response without adding a sub. My guess is that for opera you would only miss the frequencies below the M22's capabilities in the timpani, and perhaps organ, though I'm not sure there's much organ in the operatic literature. Certainly the M22's will accurately reproduce any frequency that a human voice is capable of generating, and almost anything an orchestra can produce.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#28952 12/28/03 03:10 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Ditto what Mark (mhorgel) and Haoleb said so well.

In reply to:

How bad is the M22 bass really?

There is nothing bad at all about the bass produced by the M22s. In fact, within its specified frequency range(down close to 50Hz), the bass is quite accurate, robust, and articulate. From my perspective, the problem comes when the subwoofer doesn't match the fine low end qualities of the M22 and the bass suffers below the crossover point.

I find it amusing when ppl use the term "anemic" when describing bass from "book shelf" size speakers. You simply can't expect to get any of the bottom two octaves from book shelf speakers. They just aren't designed for low bass.

btw, I have an old JBL G-10 subwoofer that doesn't sound good with any speakers. The bass is "flabby", "one-noteish", and not tight at all. I now use an NHT sub for music and a HSU VTF-3 for home theater. These are both amazing subs. Will your JBL work with the M22s?...only you can say if they mate well together after you've listened to the combo. My guess would be no. Save up for a good Axiom or HSU or SVS sub if you're going to buy bookshelf speakers and if you want full frequency range. Btw, most towers won't give you the bottom octaves(20Hz-40Hz) either.

I don't know what main speakers you are using now but I think you'll be amazed at what the M22s can do within thier rated frequency range.

And yes some opera material does contain bottom octave bass.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#28953 12/28/03 04:56 AM
devotee
devotee
ill give you the answer i think you are waiting for-plain and simple if you want good music to move to the m22s need a sub(which can be budgeted since the m22s are inexpensive). I guess you could compair the bass output of the m22s to a decent car audio system. Maybe a little less. Which isnt bad, but i think with a sub you should be fine. As long as its a good sub.

Hope that helps

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#28954 12/28/03 05:04 AM
nagyg Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for your responses. I will order the M22ti - and if necessary - I will buy a better sub....
Gerhard

#28955 12/28/03 07:33 PM
regular
regular
Instead of starting a new topic I will jump into this one. I've always had floor standing speakers and this past week replaced them with some M22s. I'm in shock and I think the reason is - I am waiting on my sub to show up, and have only been listening to the 22s with no sub. I spend a majority of time listening to 2 channel stereo, and I have an IMPORTANT question. Room size is 12x24 but I have the couch and theater on the long walls placing me about 8 feet away from the equipment. Will the 22s and a good sub (HSU) give me equal satisfaction in 2 channel stereo listening compared to the M60Tis?
HELP!

#28956 12/29/03 03:14 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In short, yes.

The M22s + good subwoofer will cover a wider range of sound than the M60s alone. Also, the ways in which the M60s are better than the M22s will most likely not be evident from only 8 feet away.

#28957 12/29/03 05:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Peter is right. From only 8' away, the added benefits of the M60 over the M22 would not be readily noticable. (A larger soundstage being the biggest advantage) Where you'll be sitting, the M22's and Hsu are the better choice.

If you can get your listening postion 10'+ back, then I'd say the M60's would be better for 2 channel listening though.

#28958 12/30/03 04:26 AM
old hand
old hand
Oaklawn and Gerhard:

I have been using M80s for about a year and a half now. I recently demoed a pair of M22s for about a couple of weeks.

The ONE thing I thought I would miss is the bass of the M80s, but I didn't. No, the M22s will not do pipeorgans well, but for most classical symphonic and operatic repertoire (recordings I used to test the bass: Bach Cello Suites by Fournier on Archiv, Dvorak American Suite by Dorati on Decca, Dvorak Symphony #9 transcribed for Organ on BIS, the recordings make the floor shake on the M80s) the bass is very sufficient -- it's nice and tight, although you hear it rather than feel it. For my rather small listening area though -- I sit about 8 fit from the speakers, and there's a wall directly behind the chair, and thus the reason for looking at smaller speakers -- a sub is not required. (my cheap Deftech sub actually made the sound worse when turned on ...)

The M22s did go back to Axiom though. They did solo instruments and small chamber ensembles well enough, but sounds strained for medium sized ensembles (HIP Bach Cantatas for example) to very strained on orchestral pieces (New World Symphony; Gerhard, I think most operas will fall in this category). This made returning them a very easy decision.

Hopes this helps (and yes I do realize I said the exact opposite of what everybody else said )

EL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020