Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: I got them blues...Help!
#28986 01/03/04 05:51 AM
mhorgel Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
When I do something, I never do it halfway. Today I received the following CD's: Albert Collins/Robert Cray/Johnny Copeland "Showdown"; Jeff Beck Group "Truth"; Albert King "King of the Blues Guitar"; John Mayall w/Clapton "Bluesbreakers"; Martin Scorsese Presents (various) "The Soul of a Man"; Buddy Guy "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues"; and (various) "Chicago/The Blues/Today!".

So far I've listened to everything but the Scorsese collection, and I'm in the middle of disc 2 (of 3) of the Chicago/The Blues/Today! collection. I must say I'm really enjoying this discovery process. I just got off Amazon and ordered myself some Taj Mahal, Paul Butterfield, Son House, Johnny Winter, John Lee Hooker, Koko Taylor, Howlin' Wolf, Duke Robillard, and Colin James.

Feel free to keep your suggestions coming. I'm really enjoying discovering this great music with my a
Axioms, as well as re-discovering my old music collection.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#28987 01/03/04 06:33 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist

Ok, just few quick hidden gems you should definitely pick up:

1. Super Sessions w/ Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, and Steven Stills. This CD is amazing and has great repeat playability.
2. Hot Tuna [live] It's actually the one that comes up first when you search on Amazon. It's got a blue and red cover. Some great acoustic blues. The guitar playing is exceptional.
3. Pinetop Perkins Any album. I don't really know which album to suggest, I just have a bunch of mp3's. But its some of the best blues piano playing I've ever been able to find. Mostly of the early Chicago blues variety.

That's about all I can think of right now that hasn't already been mentioned. Enjoy!

-Josh

#28988 01/03/04 07:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Here's you some more Mark,
Bad Influence-Live at the Bad Habits Cafe
Sonny Landreth-The Road Were On
Dave Hole-Short Fuse Blues
Robben Ford-Paul Butterfield Tribute,Handfull of Blues
Omar & the Howlers-Courts of Lulu,Blues Bag
Smokin' Joe Kubek-Texas Cadillac, Roadhouse Research
Elmore James-any of them!
Fred McDowell-ditto!
Anson Funderburgh- Change in my Pocket
and if you like Clapton, you have to give Jimmie Thackery a shot. Enjoy

"One needs to crawl thru the darkness to stand in the light"
#28989 01/04/04 07:09 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Mark, you got yerself a bunch of 1st-class "classics" there!

Just off the top of my head, you've got wht I consider to be THE best version of "Mustang Sally" (Buddy Guy w/J. Beck on guitar), best version of "Hideaway" (Clapton + Mayall), the best version of "Born Under A Bad Sign (Big Albert), and all the rest are strong!

You are definitely off to a great start!

#28990 01/04/04 07:39 PM
mhorgel Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Blooz1;

Thanks! I did a lot of research before buying. That's one of the good things about Amazon...there are so many editorial and listener reviews.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by a compilation CD I got called "The Best Blues Album in the World Ever!". Here's the link to it on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004LMKJ/qid%3D1073244917/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-5215708-6164814

It was worth what I paid for it just for Colin James' "No More Doggin'", and John Mayall's "Spinning Coin".

And thanks to everyone who made suggestions, I considered them all, and put many on my Wish List at Amazon.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#28991 01/05/04 10:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I can't add much value to this thread - you guys have done a great job compiling this list. It gets a big thumbs-up from me! I own so many of the albums mentioned here!

There is a Portland, OR local guy named Lloyd Jones that I really really like. And don't forget about Dr. John!

"The Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll." -- Muddy Waters

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#28992 01/06/04 12:54 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
My daughter is a sound engineer who graduated from Indiana University. She mixed sound at some of the local pubs for experience and a little extra money while she was in college. One night she had a gig where Keb' Mo' was performing. She "mic'd" his foot to do something creative. Now every time I listen to Keb' Mo', I swear I can hear his foot tapping. I would recommend anything by Keb' Mo'.

Bob

#28993 01/06/04 01:20 PM
You really can't miss with these recordings from two essential blues masters: Muddy Waters His Best 1947-1955, Muddy Waters His Best 1956-1964 and John Lee Hooker - The Very Best Of (Rhino Records).

#28994 03/04/04 09:46 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I wanted to bump this thread, and to use it to recommend a local band I discovered recently.

The Randy Oxford Band is an electric guitar blues band that plays primarily original compositions and is led by ... a trombone player. Like most bands, the live experience far outshines the recorded one, but I've found the disk to be very well produced, especially for a independent label.

Great stuff. Highly recommended.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#28995 03/05/04 03:14 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
as ya'll can tell, i am new to this board, but had to chime in on this subject. there is a new tejano/blues band coming out of san angelo, tx name the LOS LONELY BOYS. their new cd is currently being released world wide, and they are currently on a north american tour to promote the album. its a 3 man band, all brothers, all hispanic, and all full of talent. their music is of the stevie ray style, with some latin influence. but make no mistake, these guys are all original, and can lay a riff that will stick to your bones. if you want to experiement with some new blues, with a tejano twist, i highly recommend this band.. you will not be disappointed. and if you have the chance to see them live on their tour, dont miss it. these guys are fixing to explode.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020