Hiding Wires
#289963 02/02/10 09:34 AM
B
BrenR Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
This should probably go in the stereo section, but I don't keep up with anything besides the Water Cooler.

Went by the ex's a couple of weeks ago to hook up her HTIB, and she was asking about ways of hiding the wire in her condo... I think it was Craig that was using some paintable plastic, almost a flat platic conduit. Anyone got a solution?

Bren R.

Re: Hiding Wires
BrenR #289964 02/02/10 09:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I’m assuming your just trying to hide speaker wire? Are there any areas you can wedge the wire between the carpet and the wall? Like you mentioned the local hardware store sell self adhesive plastic conduit that snaps open and closed so you can even run HDMI or VGA cables through it, but long runs of that stuff get expensive.

In my apartment I just ran the 16 gauge speaker wires under thick throw rugs and couldn’t even tell they were there.

Probably not a solution for you but I’ll throw it out there for any lurkers who happen across this thread. Since I’ve got curtains running around most of my room I used double rod brackets. The outer hole carries the curtain rod while the inner one will have 1 1/2” black PVC pipe. All the wires, speaker, HDMI and VGA all fit through it with “T” fittings everywhere I need wire to drop down. Not many people are likely to be able to use this method but since the curtain were already going in the only additional cost was the PVC pipe and fittings the total cost of which is about $20.00. Since the curtains and everything above them is black you can’t even see them.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #289966 02/02/10 10:58 AM
shareholder in the making

You might be thinking of this, since I post this fairly often when someone has mounting concerns with their QS speakers.

It's Wiremold, a paintable surface mount raceway. The back half attaches to the wall and, while holding the cable positioned correctly, the paintable cover snaps on. Yes, I got it at Home Depot or Lowes.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #289979 02/02/10 12:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If it the set up permits, you can remove your floor trim. Underneath, there is normally enough space below the bottom of the drywall to hide wires then put the baseboard back on. If not, it's easy to trim some off the bottom drywall off as it will again be hidden by the trim.

Once you get to the area you want a speaker, cut a hole in the wall where it the speaker will be. Outlet height for a floorstander or exactly where the speaker will be for a wall unit mounted like the picture above. It's very easy to use a fish to get the wire up to this hole and you can add an wall plate with the appropriate hole, terminate it on a wall plate with the proper ends, or just hide the hole with the speaker.

You can usually even get around a door in this manner as the door probably has trim running up and around it that can be temporarily removed as well.

The only drawback is that you might need to touch up some paint when you are done.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MarkSJohnson #289991 02/02/10 02:34 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

You might be thinking of this, since I post this fairly often when someone has mounting concerns with their QS speakers.

It's Wiremold, a paintable surface mount raceway. The back half attaches to the wall and, while holding the cable positioned correctly, the paintable cover snaps on. Yes, I got it at Home Depot or Lowes.

I use the Wiremold stuff too, works great.

Is that your setup? Nice touch adding the back panel. How far away is that speaker from the adjoining corner wall?

#289994 02/02/10 02:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A few years back when I installed my HTIB, I put some some of the wiremold stuff, (like in picture above, but more square shaped) on the wall. It has a sticky backing to it. I would not do this again unless I was able to use screws to attach it to the wall. When I go to pull it off of the wall. It takes the entire layer of paint with it leaving a wide nasty looking gash in the wall that has to be mended and repainted.

CatBrat #290007 02/02/10 04:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Dean, that's brilliant!

Um, you, too, Mark. ;\)

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #290015 02/02/10 05:02 PM
Mine didn't take brilliance...just 10 or 15 bucks! \:\)

My wiremold stuff is screwed into the walls as well. I have old horsehair plaster and I think the adhesive wouldn't have lasted. I'd rather patch a few small holes.

My QS8s are only about 4-5" from the back wall that my couch is up against. The QS's do well, though I know that they would be better if I could mount them properly.

Oh, jeeez. I just fed all of you a straight line.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #290025 02/02/10 05:21 PM
No, you should really stick to the ported speakers for that.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
MarkSJohnson #290035 02/02/10 05:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Nice routing on the mounting plaque.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters