2x6spds #290227 02/03/10 03:48 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Has anyone taken an Axiom speaker apart and inspected the cross-overs?

What I am saying is that Axiom should reduce the price of its current lineup of speakers - offer a slightly more expensive line of upgraded speakers using upgraded components and then a 3rd line of speakers which target the 'icons.'

I am not saying that any more expensive capacitor or resistor or coil would result in an improved sound. I'll bet that some would.

Further my first question - the cross-over in an M3 the cap and resistor cannot cost much. I have no desire to hurt anyone's feelings by venturing a guess as to how much those parts cost.
What do you think a 5 1/2" or 6 1/2" axiom driver costs? I have an idea, but again, I'll keep it to myself. The 1" tweeter? the mdf cabinet?

Axiom speakers are wonderful but basic efforts. There is no internal metal structure like in some speakers, but they get the job done. I think axiom could sell the current line of speakers at a significantly lower price - no middle man, and sell alot of them.

Just my 2 shekels.

FWIW, I look at an Axiom speaker as more than simply the sum of its parts. They are a business with expenses, wages, advertising, overhead, etc. to pay, all of which go into the development and production of the speakers. Plus they offer outstanding service and support.

Lowering the price would be possible if Axiom was a one man operation working out of his home, but the selling price is set where it is for a reason. At the end of the day, they need to cover all costs incurred in making the product and then make a profit.

Re: Suggestions for New Axiom Speakers
Luke Smith #290231 02/03/10 03:59 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: Luke Smith
If Axiom made some super-premium product I could well be turned off because I'd always be wondering what I'm missing out on. I'd rather the company as a whole was targeted at my market/budget (as they currently are) and put all their effort into making me the best product they can for that budget.

I couldn't agree with you more, which is what attracted me to Axiom. But objectively speaking, those are purely selfish reasons which may not necessarily be ideal for Axiom. It may have been at one point, but things change and evolve and it is possible that they feel their businees model needs to change as well.

Axiom is a business and as a business they should at least consider and examine possible ways to grow or "spread their wings." Even if I did not like the idea of an upper tier line of products, I would understand why they are going that route.

Adrian #290234 02/03/10 04:10 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
The biggest problem with going high end imo would probably be that anyone willing to spend $5-10G (or more) on a pair of speakers is unlikely to purchase over the internet without a thorough auditioning first. That's where the dealer network takes over and hikes the price up another 50%+ (or whatever the markup is). The current pricepoint of Axioms takes much of the worry out of purchasing sight unseen (heard/unheard?) for many people. That doesn't mean to say that Axiom shouldn't experiment a little, say with an "Anniversary Edition" bookshelf or something like that, it might give them some idea about whether an 'upmarket' line would work, but it should certainly be done cautiously and not detract from their bread and butter lineup.

That is my feeling as well. The high end market consumers prefer to visit their boutiqe shops, whether for auditions or just window shopping. Not sure what it would take to push them towards the net.

Ken.C #290263 02/03/10 06:43 PM
2x6spds Online Content OP
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
I think you have intentionally mischaracterized my position. I picked the Ushers as an example of an excellent books shelf, with a better frequency response plot than the M3s, which are my favorite Axiom speakers.

The point is not whether I prefer the Ushers, or whether I can afford them, it is that Axiom should identify the best speakers in class and try to match them at a much lower price.

Now, wid, kcarlie and pmbuko seem to be unwilling to accept the premise of my post. Instead of dealing with my point, they take my suggestion as an insult to Axiom, in general, to Ian, in particular, and now suggest if I like the Ushers so much why don't I save up and buy a pair. This is obtuse ... but by choice.

I think you have confirmed the point I made which FredK kindly recalled for us about the level of posting on this forum. It's like listening to a banjo with one string.

pmb and kcarlie - A claque of flacks - you don't do Axiom proud in my opinion.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 02/03/10 06:47 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #290266 02/03/10 06:56 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I never said to save up and go buy the Ushers. The point I am trying to make is I think Axiom would LOSE market share if there were to go with high buck speakers.

Case in point, look at their amps. In my humble opinion they do not share the same market as their speakers. I doubt if they even come close to selling the same amount of units as the speakers.

I also think their subs are a bit on the high side compared to the other ID companies.

Axiom does not sell what most consider inexpensive speakers and if they were to go higher end it's my belief they would lose money.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #290267 02/03/10 06:57 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You're entitled to your opinion. What you seem to forget is that Peter, I, and the rest of the forum members are too.

Last edited by kcarlile; 02/03/10 06:58 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
2x6spds #290269 02/03/10 07:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I ask, since you like the M3s the most of Axiom's speaker, and the are the least flat of their main line. What makes you think you'd prefer any other speaker Axiom designed with an even flatter response? A single high-pass filter on a tweeter, with the woofer simply rolling off due to its mechanical limits is always going to less linear than a tuned cross over network.

I believe I can make the assumption, based upon the gear you own, and the configurations you prefer, that you don't actually want a flatter response from your speakers. There are plenty of high-end designs which are purposefully colored to make some styles of listening more pleasing. That's not Axiom's philosophy, but there's no reason you shouldn't seek out other brands to see if there's one who's tuning aligns more with your preferred sound.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Wid #290270 02/03/10 07:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you are looking at 3rd party measurments, the Ascend CBM 170 measures extremely well for its price point (similar price bracket to the M3/M22) 2 x 6. I think it is a more valid starting point than the Ushers.

I am not going to speak for Axiom but I do believe that the Axiom staff take part in double blind listening tests of competitors products. From what I understand Axioms design goals/philosophy are an ongoing combination of measurements/linear response and double blind listening tests which determine the final product and any modifications (crossover etc) to the initial design after its release.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
ClubNeon #290274 02/03/10 07:28 PM
2x6spds Online Content OP
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
Hi Club Neon

Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15 DT
Sonic Impact T Amps (modified) I like them and love the $25 cost
Anthem PVA 5 amp
Kenwood KA 9100
Yamaha M80(3 of them)
Integra M-504
Integra Processor
Sony TAE 9000 ES processor.

Now, for 2 channel music, I enjoy the tube amp driving M3s, Michaura M55s, Michaura M66s, Dahlquest DQM 905s.

I also like the KA9100 for 2 channel music.

I have a little modded Sonic Impact T Amp in my dining room with a Radio Shack 5 amp power supply, driving a pair of Michaura M55s and a 10" Velodyne. I enjoy it especially now that I swapped out the Pioneer DV 578A DVD player with a Sony DV CA9ES CDP.

I liked my M3s so much, I gave them away ... an purchased several pairs that I gave to friends. Right now, I am without M3s but have a pair of M2s bubble wrapped in the garage.

My tastes in audio equipment is broader than simply M3s driven by a SET tube amp. Anyone who presumes that the tube amp is a distortion generator, words of one of our resident gurus around here, is simply wrong.

I enjoy 2.2 music from my big HT system - Integra Processor, Yamaha M80 pushing a pair of Thiel CS3.6 speakers and a pair of SVS subs.

But, again, for me, when it comes time to kick back, my favorite is the 5 wpc SET tube amp and whatever speakers it's pushing.

As to the M3s, yes they are not perfect. That's my point. Although they have what to my ears is a richer sound than the M22s (mine are white) they have an audible hump and hole. BUT, I believe the M3s could be improved to be really world class speakers.

Anyway, I appreciate your post CN.

Personally, my standard for music reproduction is that it sound as much like the real thing as possible.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
BlueJays1 #290276 02/03/10 07:40 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Curious, has any company tried marketing different lines of speaker based on their "sound?"

For example, Axiom could make the M models as their "flat" series and introduce a new "warm" series, or any other "fill in your sound here" type series. Each line or series of speakers would have their own distinct sound, but would more or less be the best models available in their respective line/series.

There would be no upper, lower, or middle tier/class of speaker since the lines are differentiated and based soley on their unique sonic characterstic(s). Price would simply be a reflection of how much it costs Axiom to produce that particulare line.

That way each line would keep their devotees without really crossing over (no pun intended) or stealing from another line. Axiom would not lose their current customer base since the M80 etc. will still be around. This wouldn't realy go against Axiom's philosophy, since they'd be maintaining the "flat response" line.

It would also be interesting to see which "sound" of speakers end up being more popular. It could very well be that we (meaning those of us who prefer a speaker that measures as flat as possible) are in the minority. If that were the case then Axiom could potentially be missing out on a significant market base. I wonder if marketing different sounding speakers would shake up the industry too much and/or ruffle too many feathers. Maybe it's already been done?

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters