Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Learning to use my Denon AVR-890
bdpf #288355 01/23/10 11:35 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
I am not too sure but I believe that falls into the programming of the macros on the remote. I think it actually knows which are turned on you just have to have it check which ones were already on.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #288536 01/25/10 03:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Most modern HT equipement have 'discreet' on off codes, meaning that there is s separate code for "on" and another code for "off". For instance, if your receiver is already on, sending another [on] code will not shut the device down.

However, there is some gear (probably older but maybe even some new) that do not have discreet codes for on and off. This presents real aggravation but here is a trick you can check for.

Some devices will ignore a 2nd [on/off] code if it's sent immediately right after another AND the device is already on. Confusing but you can make this work for you.

For instance, my old Toshiba TV does not have discreet codes but if it is already turned on, it will ignore the second press of the [on/off] button if it happens too quickly. This is to protect the TV from powering back up instantly if it still hasn't really depleted the charge from trying to turn off. This can be used to simulate discrete codes.

In the above scenario, macros including these commands will always produce the desired end state.

ON Macro = [on/off], [on/off], pause 2 sec., [on/off]

If TV is already on....
(TV turns off) (ignores 2nd so stays off) (accepts 3rd after delay so TV=on)

If TV is already off...
(TV turns on) (TV turns off) (TV turns on again)

Off Macro = [on/off], [on/off]

If TV is already on...
(tv turns off) (ignores 2nd so stays off)

If TV is already off...
(TV turns on) (TV turns off)

If you do not have discreet codes and there is no trick like the above, than another option is to have a macro that turns everything on only and another that turns everything off only. Then just do not use on/off codes in any other macros.

The Harmony's and some URCs do keep track of a devices 'state' but they can get mixed up sometimes too. Harmonies include a help feature that you go through to help them get back on track.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #288563 01/25/10 05:57 PM
veteran
veteran
That's a great trick. Where were you 2 years ago when I need that flash of brilliance? This will fix the issue I have with the kids TV.

Thanks Murph!

HG Cherry M60's,VP150,Qs8's,EP350
Sloped #288591 01/25/10 06:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Anytime Sloped.
Hopefully your kids TV has that particular protection functionality built in so it will work.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
bdpf #290523 02/05/10 04:18 AM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well, I finally got a remote. Since at the moment I couldn't afford over $200 for the One, I settled for a 720 for $80 on Craigslist. I have to say that so far, I like it. The programming of the remote in order to get everything up and running was pretty quick, however it took me a while in order to get each menu setup in the order that I wanted. The only thing that I don't like about the remote is the fact that we can't enter discrete hex codes manually. This is a drawback since a lot of them are widely available on the internet. I read that if you buy the remote brand new, you have free technical support for a year and they will add for you any code available. The problem is that I bought it used and the support has expired for my device. So my question is if logitech is able to add it, it's possible so why don't they enable this feature on their remote? Even better, since they already have a huge database of the extra discrete codes, why don't they include them in their software instead of installing them one by one on a customer basis? That beats me. Some would be very pratical like switching the TV from internal speakers to amplifier. I tryed to create a sequence, but the 720 only allows me 5 instructions and I need 9 to do this. So I splitted it between 2 buttons. It works but it takes forever for the instructions to get executed one by one and everything gets displayed on the screen which is annoying. I know that a discrete code exists for that and my support wouldn't have expired, logitech would have added it for me. Well, that's what I get for buying used stuff
The other thing that I didn't like is that I couldn't find a way to start an activity with one of the devices being OFF at the beginning of the activity. I wanted "Watch TV" to start with the receiver OFF and then I would enable it with a soft key. I couldn't do that because the RCV would be ON on startup. So I had to create 2 activities, one with the RCV and one without.
So overall, I am very please that I don't have no more to be looking for all these remotes, the 720 looks good and it's very easy to use and fairly simple to program. However, a lot of thing could be very easily added in order to increase the functionality of the harmony remotes (at least the 720).

Regarding the question that I asked about the dialog not being clear, it is, like some of you mentioned, dependant on how the movie was mixed. Some are better that others. I will still try to get the VP-150 as soon as I can to help in this matter.

Also, Can someone explain the difference between DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) and Audyssey Dynamic Volume? They seem to both have the similar purpose to attenuate the loud sequences and emphasize the quite ones but the results are a bit different. It seems to me that DRC produces a better result than D.VOL. Any comments?

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #290664 02/05/10 07:28 PM
S
local
local
S
Hey BDPF

This is what I've gathered from reading... I won't own a Denon Reciever for a few more weeks so if I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

Dynamic Range control smooths out the difference between loud and quiet parts of a program. Say for example, there is a quiet scene with people sneaking around whispering, at 60 decibels... then something EXPLODES, DRAMATIC MUSIC and GUNSHOTS everywhere 100 Decibels! DRC would make the quiet stuff louder and the loud stuff quiter... say 70db signal on the quiet scene and 90 on the loud.

End result, at a low volume you can still hear the dialog in a movie, or at a higher volume, the Explosions don't take the pictures off your walls.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume controls volume between programs... so you're watching a TV show with a 98db signal and a commercial comes on with a 110db signal. Audyssey DV will bump the Program signal up to 100db and when the commercial comes on, the signal will be turned down to 100db.

End result, seamless volume while watching TV.

snazzed

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"
snazzed #290690 02/05/10 09:48 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
^Correct

ADV is convenient, but leave DC off unless you have kids trying to sleep or something.

Potatohead #290736 02/06/10 12:51 AM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It looks like ADV does more than controlling the volume between programs. If I am watching a DVD, it is the same program all the way and it also acts similar to DRC in quieting down the louder scenes. That is why you can select (at least on the Denon) the options of Day, Night and Evening to control how much the volume will be regulated. It is very similar to DRC Low, Medium and High. So they seem to have a similar purpose but with a different result.
I agree that ADV works pretty well to even out the volume in TV programming though...

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457