Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Wiring Questions for new home...
terzaghi #290773 02/06/10 02:59 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
David, the proposed setup looks(and should sound)good. The mains are separated about as much as your distance from them, the surrounds would be just slightly behind your ears. The sound from the back mid-woofer of the QS wouldn't be "lost" in the kitchen, but would help create some back effect. 16ga should be fine for those wiring distances and may be easier to install and handle.

The location for a single sub in the left front corner is likely to be the best for a strong and smooth response. Dual subwoofers at the midpoint of the side walls should be even better, and although the exact midpoint can't be used, your proposed location below the QSs should be close enough to give a good result.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

terzaghi #290852 02/06/10 08:18 AM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
After seeing the pic, I agree you would be better off with a direct firing surround speaker if they are going to be that far away

Potato:

Please keep in mind that the couch in my setup has the center seat almost aligned with the pantry on the back kitchen wall. When looking at the photo my couch would be scooted toward the wall by the hallway and back toward the kitchen.

If you flip between the photo and the floor plan you can get an idea where my couch will be in relation to the one shown on the photo if you use the back kitchen pantry door as a reference point.

With that in mind, do you still think it looks too far away for a QS8?

The general consensus is that if you are more than 4 or 5 feet away, you don't really need a Q. You could absolutely bump up the receiver volume on those channels to compensate, but that Q will be trying to fill A LOT of space between the wall, the high ceiling, and you. I know the Q's have a certain cool factor, but if you don't need them you're just spending extra money. Where I normally sit watching movies I have one Q about 24 inches from my right ear, and slightly behind. It is about 4 or 5 db below the Q on the other side, but when it's that close the Q makes sense (and it sounds good, too).

If it's possible you may have a loveseat or other seating in another area, you may want the Q's. If it's just you and the wife in the primetime spot, you can go either way.

Last edited by Potatohead; 02/06/10 08:20 AM.
Potatohead #290873 02/06/10 02:08 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I actually own all of the speakers already, so going with something besides a QS8 would cost extra money.

Out of curiosity I spoke with Brent at axiom to find out if at my proposed distance for side surrounds was too far for a QS8. He said that he has one QS 8 at about 12 feet away and has no problems (the receiver has bumped up the sound level a couple of dbs for this speaker ) .

If I notice any problems with the QS8's I can try an M2 or M3 later.

I will run coax to the potential sub locations under the surrounds. If I put a sub up front I'll just lay the sub cable along the ground.

I guess the only question I have left:

Should I make any special electrical wiring considerations for the Wall with the TV and the outlets for the 2 potential sub locations? Someone advised against having all of this on one circuit... How should It be done (or should I just let the builder wire it however they typically do?)

Thanks again for all of the input everyone! At this point all of this is hypothetical (or at least several months down the road) but I wanted to get everything in regards to wiring straight in my head.

-David
terzaghi #290879 02/06/10 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

Argon:

did you have tile or wood floors causing the problem or was it the high ceilings and open room?

David,
We have Hardwood floors with a fairly large area rug. Our room is a true two story room - no vaulted ceiling. Echos are horrible in there. Your vaulted ceiling may diffuse the sound better - plus it does not appear to be true 2 story. Clapping sounds like a good idea...........Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #290880 02/06/10 03:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
you could go with a couple circuits directly behind the tv. and another in each corner where the subs may go. Also you could run a split recepticle to each corner this way the top recpticle would be on it's own circiut split from the bottom. also run the split to the back for the other sub. Most likely though with a sub around the couch area it will have to be a floor circuit. Too bad there wasn't a halfwall behind the couch about 4ft high and 8 ft long. You could put your couch up against and put in a few recpticles. Atleast it would keep the couch from sliding back ;))

ps Usually good to keep video gear on a circuit different from audio gear and subs on another.

Last edited by troyd; 02/06/10 03:15 PM.

Anthem MRX520
M5HPv4
VP160HPv4
QS10v4

TroyD #290945 02/06/10 10:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It would be nice if someone could post the peak amperage usage of certain audio equipment at high volume as a comparison guide to know what amperage cicruits would be needed.

Such as AVR and the different subs.

There is a meter that you can attach to a wire at the circuit breaker box that will tell how many amps are going through the wire. I plan on getting one of these sometime, but maybe someone reading this already has one and some Axiom subs.

CatBrat #290948 02/06/10 11:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Even easier is the Kill-A-Watt, just plug something into it, and it'll tell you the device's current draw, and usage over time. They even make a power strip version.

Though if you want to know the draw of an AVR before you have it in your possession that's usually listed in the back of the manual (which you can find in PDF form from most maker's sites).

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #290952 02/06/10 11:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Chris, is that a peak number or does it vary according to how hard your pushing the amp?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
ClubNeon #290953 02/06/10 11:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Even easier is the Kill-A-Watt, just plug something into it, and it'll tell you the device's current draw, and usage over time. They even make a power strip version.

Though if you want to know the draw of an AVR before you have it in your possession that's usually listed in the back of the manual (which you can find in PDF form from most maker's sites).

Ok. I checked both of these out and it looks like the power strip gives amperage readout, but the other unit does not. The power strip is about $75 from Amazon.com. This is probably comparable in price to what I mentioned and a whole lot easier to use.

Adrian #290954 02/06/10 11:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Chris, is that a peak number or does it vary according to how hard your pushing the amp?

Only the manual will tell you peak. The meter does have a peak hold, to let you know the highest draw it's seen. But if you never push your system hard it'll never show a very high number.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457