Rate Thread
VP150 Seems Very Directional...
#29191 12/30/03 02:25 PM
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I've had the VP150 for almost two weeks now. It is sitting on top of my projection TV, which sits between my M60s.

First off, the speaker sounds very good. On it's own, it's a very clear, accurate speaker. The timbre match with the M60s seems above average to good. White noise from the VP150 sounds very different than from the M60s, but in day-to-day usage with movies the match seems much better. Any suggestion you might have for matching (other than buying a Pioneer Elite or Yamaha receiver with auto level/eq! ) would be appreciated.

However, my main concern right now is the directionality of the speaker. Comments on the message boards rave about the dispersion capabilities of this speaker. When I listen to it, the center channel effects very clearly appear to be coming from above the TV. It is a clear change from the Bose VCS-10 I was using before, with which the center channel effects appeared to come from on-screen. I have tried aiming the VP150 straight-ahead, slightly downward (still off-axis to the listener) and directly on-axis to the listener. Nothing seems to improve the dispersion noticeably.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Are there any suggestions for what I could do to improve the sound? I really can't feasibly move the speaker below the screen or sit farther back, so I wonder if I just have to get used to it...

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
Re: VP150 Seems Very Directional...
#29192 12/30/03 08:07 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
How close are you to the TV? Also, is the speaker placed as close to the front edge of your TV as possible? As far as sound coming from on-screen as opposed to above-screen -- I don't think there's much you can do about it.

I have a VP100 placed at the front edge of my 32" TV and aiming a bit downward so it fires right at my head. When I watch a movie, I don't really notice the sound coming from above the screen unless I look at the speaker. I sit about 9 feet away from the TV/center channel.

#29193 12/30/03 08:54 PM
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I sit about 10 feet from the TV, and the bottom-front of the speaker is flush with the front of the TV. The speaker is tilted down toward the listener.

M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
#29194 12/31/03 03:01 AM
regular
regular
I have noticed this as well. I also have my speaker on top of the TV, sitting about 13' back from a 56" screen (Samsung HLN567), and it also seems that the sound is noticibly coming from the top of the screen. This is my first surround system, the only other I can compare it to is the one at work (Fire Station) where we have Polk Audio speakers. I would have to say the Polk Audio sound seems to come more from the screen.

I also noticed when using Avia (the test for timber match testing L-C-R), what seemed to be quite a difference in the "tone" between the VP150 and my M60's which surprised me. I haven't really noticed that watching movies, but none the less was surprised since I have heard so many say how closely matched these are.

After all that I read before purchasing about these speakers being "too bright", I never found this to be true. Actually it seems that I would prefer the VP150 to be somewhat brighter, which would seem to be a closer match to my M60's.

I am using a Denon 3803 with the VP150, M60's and QS-8's. Any help or comments welcomed.

Dustyn

#29195 12/31/03 03:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It sounds very much like the VP150 is calibrated too loud for its position, is not positioned quite right atop the tv or the viewing position is too close.

Certainly during movies the centre channel takes up alot of the dialogue and front sound but it should not be so loud as to take away from the 2 main units on either side.
The height of the main speakers and position in reference to the VP150 in this equation will also make a difference. Imagine 2 -M22s sitting on the floor next to a tv with the centre channel 3 or more feet above them, or having the main speakers sitting several inches to a foot behind the position of the centre speaker atop its tv. This would very much draw attention to the centre channel.
Assuming that is not the case here (which i doubt), try either moving the VP150 back a bit or the easier alternative, turn down the dB in the receiver speaker calibration EVEN if using a setup disk like Avia or S&V puts it equal to your mains.

I have my VP150 set to -1dB which gives it an overall 76dB during calibration while my M60s are set at 0dB and record a 77dB reference point.
This has helped to blend in the VP150 with my main front speakers.

Note: Some dvds will play the sound from the centre more strongly than some others.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#29196 12/31/03 04:40 PM
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Thanks for the replies. I toyed with the angle on the VP150 last night and watched another movie. I think the angle helped a bit, plus I'm sure I'm getting used to it. I have a feeling that if I could sit back a bit more than 10' from the VP150 and M60s, I would get a more seamless soundstage.

I hope the discussion on timbre matching using the VP150 continues, as I'm interested to hear everyone's ideas.

Thanks!

M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)