Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Which bookshelf has the thicker midrange?
Redo #293215 02/21/10 03:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Very good, Redo; enjoy. Yes, I'd suggest that when your budget permits you get a full surround setup. Even for 2-channel music sources I always listen to my M22s in a surround setup, using processing such as DPLII to extract the surround ambience which had to be mixed into the front channels(no place else to put it)and send it to the surrounds where it belongs, making the home listening experience a bit more realistic.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Redo #293242 02/21/10 04:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Redo
I am stunned at the sound of these speakers for gaming and movies. It's quite incredible. I'm going to have a hard time sticking to a 2-channel setup, I may end up grabbing a regular receiver so I can eventually have a full 5.1 setup.

Music sounds fantastic, don't get me wrong, but they come to life for games and movies.

Its nice to see you enjoying the new speakers so much. I was also more surprised by movie performance than music. I expected excellent sound for music, but had no idea what I was in for with movies.

Its also interesting that you came here looking for a 'thick' midrange (coloured sound), but came away totally amazed by a quality speaker that does not colour the sound at all. Many people have pre-conceptions of what sounds good, but if you give yourself the chance, a clean neutral speaker will win out in the end.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #293302 02/22/10 12:23 AM
Redo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I did a music listening session vs the Boston Acoustic SubSat 6 system, which are great little speakers, but it was pretty clear the M22's were the better speaker. The Boston's are more forward, but they are missing a lot of the lower midrange that the M22's offer. These M22's are don't miss anything all the way down until the subwoofer takes over.

I haven't done a test vs the VR2's yet, I'm sure I'll get around to it soon. I may end up grabbing my folk's Yamaha HTR 5890 for these Axioms, and buying them a Denon 1910 in its place (to make their life easier for switching between the satellite and bluray player).

Redo #293307 02/22/10 02:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
The Boston's are more forward,...

Thats interesting. The M22 is noticeably forward compared to the M80.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #293308 02/22/10 02:58 AM
Redo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Thats interesting. The M22 is noticeably forward compared to the M80.

I grew up on those BA SubSat 6's, and they are great speakers for their size. I prefer them to the floor standing BA VR2's, but a bigger room will eat the SubSat 6's alive. With that being said the 6's don't have the lower-midrange that the Axioms have, so it's a less balanced and brighter sound. That's not a mediocre set of speakers though. They cost around $400 in the early 90's, really are well made speakers.

The M22's are on a different level. While I haven't done a direct comparison yet, I already know they will outclass my VR2's. I originally wanted to buy a pair of Axioms a few years ago when I landed the VR2's, but I found a stellar deal on the VR2's.

The more my ears adjust the happier these M22's make me. Axiom put together a fantastic pair of speakers.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters