Adrian #291739 02/11/10 05:43 AM
G
groy67 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I don't own an SPL meter, but many guys use them with great success. My receiver has Audyssey which some people love and some hate....it seems to work for me, but someday I'll get myself a meter/test tones and try doing a comparison.

I'm off to bed. And thank you for all your help! I'll keep you updated with my successes.

Re: 4 ohms M80 with Nad T765
groy67 #291740 02/11/10 05:46 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Hopefully you don't mean your successes in bed.

CV #291747 02/11/10 10:59 AM
Hopefully, he DOES. I need some good stories!

Groy, play around with placement a bit. Floorstanders, with their greater bass output, can be a little more susceptible to bad placement.

Also, you said your primary source is MP3s. Are those "typical" MP3s at 128kps? If so, spend 10 bucks on a Diana Krall CD to setup and compare the speakers. Whether you love her jazzy style or not is irrelevant, her music is recorded very, very well. The Axioms are very revealing speakers, as mentioned above, garbage in, garbage out.

Also, as mentioned above, turn off any Audyssey-type processing. Temporarily, you can measure the distances to each speaker or simply guesttimate. Processing like that will change the sound of the speaker; not infrequently for the worse.

Finally, if those Cantons have a one-month return trial, do all this quick so you can decide to order QS8s for the rear (assuming of course that you'll love the Axioms once you get everything dialed in). I used to be a big fan of Cantons back 20 years ago when I last heard them, so I don't mean any disrespect towards them, but many people consider the QS8s to be about THE best surround speakers out there, and would not only envelope you in sound better than the direct-radiating Cantons, but match with the M80s better too.

Let us know how you make out!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
CV #291765 02/11/10 02:42 PM
G
groy67 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G
 Originally Posted By: CV
Hopefully you don't mean your successes in bed.

LamO!! That's funny!

MarkSJohnson #291766 02/11/10 02:48 PM
G
groy67 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Hopefully, he DOES. I need some good stories!

Groy, play around with placement a bit. Floorstanders, with their greater bass output, can be a little more susceptible to bad placement.

Also, you said your primary source is MP3s. Are those "typical" MP3s at 128kps? If so, spend 10 bucks on a Diana Krall CD to setup and compare the speakers. Whether you love her jazzy style or not is irrelevant, her music is recorded very, very well. The Axioms are very revealing speakers, as mentioned above, garbage in, garbage out.

Also, as mentioned above, turn off any Audyssey-type processing. Temporarily, you can measure the distances to each speaker or simply guesttimate. Processing like that will change the sound of the speaker; not infrequently for the worse.

Finally, if those Cantons have a one-month return trial, do all this quick so you can decide to order QS8s for the rear (assuming of course that you'll love the Axioms once you get everything dialed in). I used to be a big fan of Cantons back 20 years ago when I last heard them, so I don't mean any disrespect towards them, but many people consider the QS8s to be about THE best surround speakers out there, and would not only envelope you in sound better than the direct-radiating Cantons, but match with the M80s better too.

Let us know how you make out!

LOL No good stories to tell...

I will give it a go and try to tweak the set up some more. I'll
keep you guys up to date. Thanks again for you help.

groy67 #291773 02/11/10 04:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What bitrate are the mp3's that you listen to?

-David
terzaghi #291774 02/11/10 04:45 PM
G
groy67 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
What bitrate are the mp3's that you listen to?

I'm not too sure... I'll have a look when I get home.
However, I am using a C-200 Popcorn Hour Media player that is connected to my A/V receiver using HDMI

Gerry

groy67 #291781 02/11/10 06:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi and welcome,

Lots of good advice given by others, but just to update you a little, NAD's "soft-clipping" circuit has been a feature for years of NAD amplifiers. What it does is, at the expense of slightly increased overall distortion (measurable but likely inaudible), it prevents the "hard" and nasty-sounding waveform clipping of conventional solid-state amps driven past their limits. I'd leave soft clipping turned off if I were you.

One poster suggests that the possible 4-ohm load of the Cantons combined with the 4-ohm M80s may be a bit too much for the NAD, and I'd agree.

In the past, Canton speakers had a very "Germanic" sound typical of lots of German brands---a somewhat pumped-up boomy bass, recessed midrange and greatly exaggerated upper highs--cymbals, etc. We used to call it "boom and tizz".

The Axiom M80s are more "linear", better balanced through deep bass, midrange and highs. That will make them sound quite different from your Cantons if the Cantons still have the German voicing.

And for sure try some good movie soundtracks and CDs. MP3 stuff at 128 kbps played over linear speakers like the M80s will reveal any audible defects. Use 320 kbps or higher files to preserve transparency and avoid harshness.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #291796 02/11/10 08:35 PM
G
groy67 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi and welcome,

Lots of good advice given by others, but just to update you a little, NAD's "soft-clipping" circuit has been a feature for years of NAD amplifiers. What it does is, at the expense of slightly increased overall distortion (measurable but likely inaudible), it prevents the "hard" and nasty-sounding waveform clipping of conventional solid-state amps driven past their limits. I'd leave soft clipping turned off if I were you.

One poster suggests that the possible 4-ohm load of the Cantons combined with the 4-ohm M80s may be a bit too much for the NAD, and I'd agree.

In the past, Canton speakers had a very "Germanic" sound typical of lots of German brands---a somewhat pumped-up boomy bass, recessed midrange and greatly exaggerated upper highs--cymbals, etc. We used to call it "boom and tizz".

The Axiom M80s are more "linear", better balanced through deep bass, midrange and highs. That will make them sound quite different from your Cantons if the Cantons still have the German voicing.

And for sure try some good movie soundtracks and CDs. MP3 stuff at 128 kbps played over linear speakers like the M80s will reveal any audible defects. Use 320 kbps or higher files to preserve transparency and avoid harshness.

Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your response! I've been reading lots of info on internet and your name comes up a lot. It's great; that you took your time to advise me on the particulars. I will switch the "soft clip" to off and use a good quality recording.

Maybe, I'll purchase the QS8 speakers for surrounds and put my Canton's up for sale.
Maybe, I should upgrade my A/V?

BTW here's the spec's for the canton's;just incase my AV can handle the Cantons.(NAD T765HD) Not too savy when it come AV stuff.

Type Floorstanding speaker
Engineering Principle 2½-way Bass reflex system
Nom. /Music power handling 110 / 170 watts
SPL (1 watt/1m) 87.5 db (1 W, 1 m)
Frequency response 25...40.000 Hz
Crossover frequency 300 / 3.000 Hz
Woofer 1 x 180 mm (7''), Aluminum (Wave surround)
Midrange 1 x 180 mm (7''), Aluminum (Wave surround)
Tweeter 1 x 25 mm (1''), aluminum-manganese
Nominal Impedance 4...8 ohms
Dimensions (WxHxD) 19 x 95 x 29 cm
(7.5'' x 37.4'' x 11.4'')
Weight 16.3 kg

Thank you,
Gerry

groy67 #291802 02/11/10 10:02 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Like was said a few times, I would consider, seriously consider, getting your money back on the Canton and buying a set of Axiom QS8s. IMO it will be an over all better sounding system.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters