Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need a new CD deck in my van- advice pls
#292585 02/16/10 09:14 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My 94 (or 95) Caravan went into the shop today because the stock radio wasn't working. They said that they could get me a replacement from the wreckers for $90, but I'm not paying that for a simple tape deck and a clock. I've also wanted to get a proper deck ever since I had the van anyway (at least 13 years now) but haven't got around to it .

So, I'm looking for some assistance in choosing a good deck that I will be able to use in my van. I'm pretty sure that I can get a kit for virtually any deck so that it fits my van; am I right in this assumption?

Features-
I don't care about satellite radio
I need something that I can plug my Zune into

I don't mind spending around $300 CDN

I'm going to start looking around online, but other than that I can't think of anything else. Oh yes, one thing that would be nice, although I doubt it's possible, is that I could control the deck. I enter my van from the back and sit at the very back, so I didn't know if there was something with an RF remote control that I could use with my limited dexterity. Ultimately I would also like to be able to be able to control my Zune from the back of the van, but that would probably require a cable to be run all the way to where I sit.

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You Very Much,
Cam

Last edited by wheelz999; 02/16/10 09:53 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Re: Need a new CD deck in my van- advice pls
Ya_basta #292586 02/16/10 09:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I was just researching this yesterday. And if it was me, I would go with Alpine. Just scroll about half way down past the GPS systems.

Edit: Since I've never had an MP3 player, I don't know if the Zune is plug in and play compatible with receptacles for an I-Pod or not?

Edit#2: Neo Car Audio will be first to offer "iPod adapters" for the new Microsoft ZUNE! We have interfaces for the majority of aftermarket radios and stock radios as well! Coming very soon!

Last edited by CatBrat; 02/16/10 09:50 PM.
Ya_basta #292598 02/16/10 10:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I was very pleased with my Alpine head unit (CDE-9843)... in fact I would have put it in either of my last two cars save for one big problem - both have had the GM Driver Info readout in the stock unit... and since my trip odometer, fuel consumption and all that is important to me... I kept the stock units.

It doesn't have an easy 1/8" connector for MP3 player connection, but I was pleased with it (I'd burn MP3 discs of all one artist or style of music).

Bren R.

BrenR #292612 02/17/10 12:22 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I just bought the Alpine CDE-100 for my work truck. It's a basic unit but it does have the 1/8 input for MP3 player and it also has a usb port which is what I really wanted. Now there's no need to carry a ton of cds around with me.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ya_basta #292615 02/17/10 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Cam,
Another vote for Alpine here, but I would probably jump up to the CDA-105. It has an IR sensor on the front of it so you can have remote access from the back of the van. If it won't control the Zune, not all is lost. All you need is a flash jump drive with all your music on it.
And as an added bonus, it is upgradable to the Imprint module that I was gushing about in this thread.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #292619 02/17/10 01:46 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Shawn, an infrared remote work for me because it's too directional and I wouldn't be able to point it at the deck. I think the best option for me is to get a USB extension cable long enough to reach to the back of the van where I sit, so I can operate my Zune, utilizing its screen because I don't think I would be able to see the deck clearly from where I sit. I would also have to get an extension cable for the remote. As the remote for your Alpine have a spot to plug an extension cable into it and connect it to the deck?

I've also been looking at Pioneer decks, but really the most important thing is whether or not I can get an extension for the remote and my Zune to reach me at the back of the van; then I would have full control!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #292630 02/17/10 04:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I recently bought a pioneer DEH-5100. Retails for about $209 US but got it for about $160 on amazon. It has a usb port on the front (and the back). We plug out iphones into the usb slot and it allows direct control of the music through the ipod interface. This would of course require an extra long zune cable (or usb externsion)

It comes with a remote, but I guess it is IR, not RF.

-David
terzaghi #292856 02/18/10 03:09 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I ended up getting the Eclipse CD5030 . Its a very highly regarded, higher end unit. I've checked out some videos on YouTube, and it looks pretty darn sweet. It cost me more than I wanted to spend, but I think I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup