Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Dishwasher
Wid #401914 03/15/14 01:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was told the same thing regarding the Sears brand. They pick and choose the best and most reliable parts from the leading manufacturers and then put them under the Kenmore Elite line.

Dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are all Kenmore Elite. 5 years so far with no trouble.

There is one person I know that purchased a Bosch dishwasher in the last 3-4 years and it caught fire and the house ended up with massive smoke damage.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Wid #401916 03/15/14 02:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Wid,

I've followed the Consumer Reports recommendations for dishwashers for years and bought the (noisy) cheapo Whirlpool models, both in Canada and the USA. I've never had a single problem with them. The high-priced European brands are super quiet, of course, but you certainly pay for the sound insulation.
The Whirlpool models also have excellent long-term reliability ratings in CR.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Wid #401917 03/15/14 02:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Although higher priced brands are no more safer than a lot of the cheaper units. Bosch has issued several MAJOR safety/fire recalls on their dishwasher units in the last few years.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Wid #401918 03/15/14 03:12 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Have a good buddy that is an appliance inside sales guy. Kenmore is not made by sears. Kenmore is made by fridgidaire. Fridgidare is owned by whirlpool I believe.

Bosch or meile are #1. But expensive.

He recommended a blomberg model and we have had zero issues over 3 years of ownership. You can have a conversation while leaning on it. Super quiet.

http://www.blombergappliances.us/

He levelled with me and said consumer grade appliances arent built to last more than 5 years or so now, so it is best to get the best value you can for what you get. As time passes all dishwashers start to show chinks in their armour. frown

tomtuttle #401921 03/15/14 04:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Congrats on the Bosch, Tom!

Sorry for the late reply.

We've had a Bosch for a couple of years...super quiet (42 Db's), doesn't use a heater element for drying, very low power/water useage. It was originally priced around $2G, I think we got it for about $1100 on sale. You can barely hear it when it's on.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #401923 03/15/14 04:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Who makes which Sears model of any appliance changes regularly, even mid-model year. The serial #'s designate which manufacturer actually made it, IF a Sears sales person will help you identify which is which.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy any KOREAN appliances, at least not yet. It took Korean car makers years to get it together. We had a Samsung side-by-side that was great; worked great, great features. It died 3 years later and, after waiting 10 weeks for a new mother board in the middle of the summer, we threw it away and bought a far less nice Whirlpool (18 months ago). I looked at CR for the brand with the least repair calls. Alan got it right, it's Whirlpool---and you can get parts---like, tomorrow!

I called around appliance service companies and got the same response. Korean appliance companies are terrible about parts supply. The service man walked into the kitchen and groaned.
I said, "Hey, I chose those colors!" Seriously though, he looked at the Samsung and said, "At least it isn't an LG."

Oh, no, that'd be our top CR rated vacuum cleaner which has never worked correctly and had to be repaired when a little plastic nub broke that incapacitated the entire thing. The repair guy had to improvise, but it's solid again.

By the way, our Samsung fridge was also CR top rated.

I used to be a bigger CR fan until they named the 2002 Passat as their # 1 pick. I instantly knew that was gonna come back to bite them in the ass and it did. It cost them nothing to change their mind. It cost a couple of friends tons of cash.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #401925 03/15/14 04:48 PM
G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
A hint if anyone is looking for a washing machine never ever buy a top load Whirpool Cabrio washing machine!! Have a look on the internet worst piece of crap we ever purchased. Less then two years old and out of warranty. Would have cost as much to fix as replace, so it is now scrap metal. They are noted for the same problems over and over.

We now have a Kitchenaid dishwasher very quite, but only 3 years old! Bosch in are last house it was at least 10 years old and very quite no problems. Before that maytag noisy and built like a tank, well over twenty years of trouble free service.

Last edited by GregD; 03/15/14 04:51 PM.
GregD #401928 03/15/14 06:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Boy, if this entire thread isn't a short compendium of the new global conveyor belt's good points and bad points. The good points are only about money and China gets a whole new economy outta the deal. By the time any appliance you buy now may need a repair, the "brand" will likely be still be around, but will the sub-sub contractor, way, way far away who made one of the completely necessary widgets? And, as in my case, we know that can happen in a flash and NO, they won't still be there.

So now we are being conditioned to pay more and expect less, way less. An appliance's life expectancy has been halved in a little over a decade, "just like the price." Ha!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Wid #401929 03/15/14 06:29 PM
W
Wid Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
W

Very true Bob, sad imo.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

terzaghi #401952 03/17/14 01:50 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
David, the CR ratings you looked at last year(the most recent dishwasher tests)probably included this discussion . The Kenmore Elite was top-rated, but the model more in line with the budget you mention is the Bosch Ascenta model which was also very quiet. The models which don't have a grinder(which makes, not surprisingly, a loud grinding noise)to make the filter "self-cleaning", are the quiet ones.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082