Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The death of analog video connections?
terzaghi #293466 02/23/10 01:08 PM
shareholder in the making
I haven't seen anything in trade magazines about whether or not it would affect pro equipment, much of which is still using component... My guess is that it won't.

There have always been different rules regarding pro equipment and consumer equipment regarding copy-protection and such. For instance, I have Tascam audio CD recorders that don't require the more expensive "music CDs" with their built-in RIAA fees/taxes... they record on "regular" CDs.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #293469 02/23/10 02:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I doubt that it won't make any difference on how they try to copy protect something because a work around for it is always right around the corner.

Luke Smith #293475 02/23/10 05:24 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: Luke Smith

This is priceless

The thing is, if you don't buy movies to combat this kind of thing, the studios are too dense to realize this and believe you're not buying movies because you're pirating them... It goes in circles.

terzaghi #293486 02/23/10 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Luke seeing that got me to thinking last month i bought the last Terminator movie on blue ray, and i was trying to just watch the Fn movie... i do remember having to sit though a stupid amount of unskippable material, at one point i though something was messed up with my player that i couldn't skip some of those items, with the DVD's you have 1 maybe 2 screens that are unskippable, then you can just jump over everything else.. Granted i am kind of new to the whole Blue ray thing. But waiting 20 minutes just to start the movie is pretty ridiculous.

one other comment on Jakes link, I was thinking, I don't have any televisions in my house that have HDMI inputs, the TV in the main room is a HD but only has components, and the SD TVs in the bedrooms, and garage defiantly don't have HDMI, so how is Blue Ray going to become even more popular? When DVD's came out, all one needed was the player and a TV. Now with Blue Ray, you need the player, and you also need a HD TV, not everyone has an HD TV, and people that have had their HD TV's for a while like myself, now my 60" projection HD TV, will not work with a new Blue Ray player? And I don't even get a superior picture, just the same quality but am forced to use the HDMI cable?

Granted I just got an Oppo BD-83 last August, so right now I am ok. Until hollywood, think its a good idea, to start producing disks that disable the analog video.. If they do that, then I will probably just start downloading and burning the movies that i want to watch. I refuse to buy a new TV, just to watch a movie at the same resolution.

Last edited by dakkon; 02/23/10 07:25 PM.
Luke Smith #293491 02/23/10 08:12 PM
buff
buff
 Originally Posted By: Luke Smith

Can't stop laughing!!!

On a serious note, if they would put all the previews and crap in special features I would probably end up watching them all at my own leisure anyhow. I'm one of those guys who is interested in that stuff. But when I want to watch the main feature don't give me all that garbage, it makes me cringe at my investments (invite friends over, dim the lights, then amaze people with my preview skipping and movie home screen operating talents)

Redo #293499 02/23/10 08:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yesterday, I was in a an AV store because they are one of our authorized phone resellers as I was looking for something for my mother in law. An older gentleman passed on a couple of very nicely priced TVs because they didn't have S-Video.

Analogue is not dead. It's just switching to to whole insurance instead of term.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #293508 02/23/10 09:06 PM
buff
buff
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Yesterday, I was in a an AV store because they are one of our authorized phone resellers as I was looking for something for my mother in law. An older gentleman passed on a couple of very nicely priced TVs because they didn't have S-Video.

Analogue is not dead. It's just switching to to whole insurance instead of term.

This article isn't saying analog is dead. What it is saying is analog hi-def is dying for BluRay. The new restrictions force standard def resolutions at the studio's will if it's not connected via protected HDCP. Upscaling DVD players have been crippled to 480p without HDMI for years now. There's still a place for analog, but the big names in the industry are complying and trending towards fullly restricted HDMI compliance.

I guess it would be more proper to say the death of hi-def Component Video. I've heard rumblings for years that hi-def television will switch to protected HDMI as well. Don't know if that will happen, but these are further steps towards this goal.

Redo #293556 02/24/10 12:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i don't see any real benefit to the end customer by forcing everyone to use HDMI. If only Blue Ray is going to be HDMI only, then that is pointless when the HD cable box will still have component? I understand advances in technology.. But i see this going the same way that Digital TV in the U.S. went.. pushed off for years, then there are all kinds of work arounds... someone will probably come out with a HDMI to component converter for cheep the current ones are around 200$....

Redo #293592 02/24/10 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Redo
I've heard rumblings for years that hi-def television will switch to protected HDMI as well. Don't know if that will happen, but these are further steps towards this goal.

I heard a rumour about something called the Fagin Box. After putting a $100 bill in the slot, you get on your knees and grovel. "Please sir. May I have more?"

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #293607 02/24/10 07:02 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I love Slysoft products. I rip movies just to eliminate the ads so I can watch the movie right away, I just have to invest in a BR burner for my PC, they are still a little too pricey for me.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics