Rate Thread
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
Re: EP800 wins an award
pmbuko #294288 02/28/10 03:31 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Are people threatened by Apple?

I think a lot of it has to do with snob appeal and the religious fervor that a lot of Mac addicts display. Apple is a bit more style conscious (but being Italian, I love that aspect) and the price, which reflects that, is prohibitive to a lot of people.

But Steve Jobs really is a visionary. If it wasn't for Apple, people would still be happily clanking away on ugly, beige beasts of burdens. Apple has forced the home computer market to adopt innovative ideas. Witness how many products rip off the look, feel, interface(s) etc. of Apple.

And from a purely capitalist perspective, they are probably the only "computer" company that has not only been able to adapt, but to thrive in an age when pirated digital media/content has sucked the life out of the movie/music/software business models of the 20th century.

I started using computers in the early 80's, running Cakewalk under DOS. Back when 256k memory was considered kicking arse! lol. It has taken my whole life for technology to finally get to the point where you can compete with world class facilities without spending millions of dollars in the process.

I had about $10,000 bucks invested in a G5 Mac recording set-up and I just recently bought a Mac Mini for $799.00 running the new Snow Leopard OS just for a media server/play toy and it blows what was cutting edge just a few years ago, out of the water. And when you include the software that comes loaded with every new Mac, you really have some powerful tools to work with, right out of the box. So price/performance is at a golden age for both PC and Macs. We really are living in wondrous times my friends!

Now, where is my goldarn jetpack?

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

grunt #294290 02/28/10 03:48 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: grunt
When I was into writing code and working on web pages I used Linux because of all the free tools and customizability. When I was heavy into computer gaming I used a PC because there weren’t crap for Apple/Mac games. I imagine if I were an artist or educator I would use a Mac. Makes sense to use the best tool for the job.

Well said G.

Unix/Linux were game changers for sure. I do not miss editing .ini registry files or trouble shooting hardware conflicts for hours at all. I hated leaving OS9 behind when Apple (bravely) lept to OSX, but I would never, ever want to go back to those dark days now, that's for sure.

I would rather just create music/video and leave the coding to the ones who love that stuff. \:\)

Although the cheap price of PC's is very seductive, after having to struggle with a project running Vista as the OS, I realized that, as they say, you can never go home again.

Although I may check out Windows 7, I hear that is a vast improvement over Vista. All my friends in the "business" that use Windows are still running XP cause they finally got it to "play nice" and be stable. They absolutely hated Vista.

---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #294291 02/28/10 04:28 AM
aficionado
aficionado
my 9 yr old imac at work sucks. of course, a 9 yr old PC would be completely worthless.

it's becoming obvious to me that computers are disposable/consumable items that should be had at lowest possible cost. the computer of your dreams, unlike the speakers/motorcycle/girl of your dreams won't be able to stay that way for long.

bigwill2 #294299 02/28/10 05:15 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant

I think a lot of it has to do with snob appeal and the religious fervor that a lot of Mac addicts display. Apple is a bit more style conscious (but being Italian, I love that aspect) and the price, which reflects that, is prohibitive to a lot of people.

I think you’re assessment is right on. I’ve never cared for Mac users who had a superior attitude but then I guess I don’t restrict that just to computers. When I bought my first pre-built computer I so tried to convince myself to get an Amiga, but I just couldn’t overcome the disparity in the amount of software I want that was available for the PC instead.

Also I don’t think most people would come close to taking advantage of a Mac. I imagine most computer users just surf the internet, send emails, social network and other pretty mundane stuff that doesn’t require much. Hell I’m so cheap my primary online computer I’m using right now is a 6 year old Emachines that cost me <$350 w/monitor, keyboard and mouse. All I’ve done to it is upgrade the memory and video card right after I got it and it still does everything I need day to day. Best computer purchase I ever made so I agree with bigwill2 unless you have a special need treat it as a consumable product.

My housemate at UW Madison hated it when he had to get a PC at home to use some of his work software, he always had one of those stickers saying “Intel Outside” on his Mac. He was actually much more computer savvy than me but was so pissed off one day because he couldn't change the way something work. When I asked him if he looked for a registry key for it he just gave me a blank stare. I couldn’t help but laugh and show him Windows version of a big bloated branching tree of a .rc file. He was like a kid at Christmas until he realized how limited it’s functionality was.

I agree that Vista sucks. My first Vista install, post service pack 2, was the easiest OS install I ever had. 3 hours from entering the store to buy all the parts to booting up the PC. 6 hours later I finally got Civ 4 to actually run on it. The second install took over 6 hours to get the install to stop hanging half way through or crashing and not rebooting event to safe mode while using Windows update. So now despite any accolades heaped on Windows 7 (figure out a naming scheme please, Bob? WTFO) I’m running XP until those computers die or there is some feature/software I must use Windows 7 or “Melinda” or whatever it’s call by then for.

But I still like not having to load DOS high, find which hardware will play with what using whichever IRQ . . . .

Last edited by grunt; 02/28/10 05:27 AM. Reason: Dyslexia

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #294303 02/28/10 05:38 AM
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I imagine most computer users just surf the internet, send emails, social network and other pretty mundane stuff that doesn’t require much.

I totally agree. There are so many non-technical users out there who only need their computers to do a few things. As the designated tech assistant in my extended family, I, for one, can't wait until the iPad catches on and I don't have to help people with the same old problems again -- e.g. upgrading software or the operating system, weeding out useless leech apps that slow down a computer, removing malware, etc.

The fact is that the personal computer is a scary thing for many people because so much can and often does go wrong.

audiosavant #294305 02/28/10 05:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
It's funny, most people that bash Apple do not own or use their products.

Am I the only one that found this a little funny? Don't you have to like a companies product before you will buy it? Makes perfect sense to me that the bashers don't own...

To me, Apple understands and owns the UI. Nobody else gets it right as consistently or as often as Apple does. Without Apple, Windows would not exist. I would buy Apple products for normal ce prices, but I'm just cheap. \:\)

That said, Windows is pretty darned reliable and reasonably intuitive.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
bigwill2 #294307 02/28/10 05:57 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: bigwill2
my 9 yr old imac at work sucks. of course, a 9 yr old PC would be completely worthless.

it's becoming obvious to me that computers are disposable/consumable items that should be had at lowest possible cost. the computer of your dreams, unlike the speakers/motorcycle/girl of your dreams won't be able to stay that way for long.

True. It's often said about the high end Power Macs that the one you want for professional work are usually going to cost around $4000.00. And I have always gotten at least 5 years of heavy use with their gear.

Also, I have always recouped my investment in Apple products within the first 6 months of owning them because they provide hassle free performance in a busy studio environment where you have to work fast and produce results for paying clients. If I was in a session and I had to constantly stop it to figure out some buggy OS issue, the clients would go elsewhere.

I believe that Apple's recent success is solely based on their consumer level products (iPod, iPhone etc.) not their high end stuff. If it wasn't for the hugely successful iPods/iTunes, Apple would probably not be in such a healthy and dominate position.

I mean, 10 billionth iTunes download? Get tha fruck outta here!!! That's some serious money. It's probably the only bright spot for us content providers who rely on monies made from music production. Apple has stepped up and seized an opportunity that record companies were too short sighted and stupid to take advantage of. Apple has created the model that has taken us into 21st century music distribution.

I just wished that I could have invested heavily in Apple stock way back in the '80s when everyone had written them off. Sigh.

---Frank Zappa

pmbuko #294311 02/28/10 06:09 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Are people threatened by Apple?

I think I'm put off by their superior attitude. It's hard not to hate people who are full of themselves. Is it okay to have a problem with that if I admit their products aren't crap?

Last edited by CV; 02/28/10 06:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
CV #294312 02/28/10 06:12 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur

I, for one, can't wait until the iPad catches on and I don't have to help people with the same old problems again -- e.g. upgrading software or the operating system, weeding out useless leech apps that slow down a computer, removing malware, etc.

I couldn’t wait I cut everyone but my father and sister off. I refuse to build computers for anyone else anymore, and told them all to learn how to maintain their own systems. Now I don’t even let people I meet even know I have any computer skills at all I got so sick of constantly bailing people out who did stupid crap.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
pmbuko #294316 02/28/10 06:21 AM
devotee
devotee
As the designated tech assistant in my extended family, I, for one, can't wait until the iPad catches on and I don't have to help people with the same old problems again -- e.g. upgrading software or the operating system, weeding out useless leech apps that slow down a computer, removing malware, etc.

The people that are mocking the iPad have no idea how wrong, conceptually, they are. Although I would never get one now (early adopting is for the rich and frivolous), mark my words, this thing is going to be huge for the regular masses everyday 'puter use.

So buying Apple stock is still a good investment!

And I really have to pimp the Mini Mac. Impressive for the price. If you are in the market for a bitching new machine (I'm talking to you Grunt!) or if someone is looking to get their first computer, like steering someone to Axiom, a Mini Mac is the way to go. Fast, reliable and loaded with useful software. And I simply cannot rave more about Snow Leopard. Just add your own monitor, keyboard and mouse and the Mini Mac makes it's on sauce.

I will stop fanboy proselytizing now...

---Frank Zappa

Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616