Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 70 of 183 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 182 183
Re: What video games are you playing tonight?
grunt #293179 02/20/10 07:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just got Bioshock 2 for the 360, haven't had time to even open it yet, I need to get through Mass Effect 2 before I start on another game

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #293319 02/22/10 06:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Finally finished Mass Effect 2. Now I want to go back and play again but can’t decide if I want to import a character from ME1 or just go with the ME2 character I just finished with. Then theirs the option of just starting over again with ME1. I’ll have to read up on what if any benefits accrue when importing from ME1.

I also went online to check on , since I didn’t want to cheat the first time through, who the missing team member was. All this time I thought it was one particular person but found out I was completely wrong, but because of the decisions I made never even knew who it was suppose to be.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #293320 02/22/10 06:16 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I wish I could have imported my ME1 character, but I played that on the 360, while I played ME2 on the PC.

I'm still undecided on whether I'll play through again or not. I like the bonuses you start out with, but I wouldn't look forward to the tedious parts of the game again. Still, it would be nice to enjoy more of the game on my big system.

CV #293322 02/22/10 06:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I only played through ME1 once but it shows up as a new game option but I’m curious about playing through the whole series with a dedicated character. I might what for ME3 to come out first and play through that once on it’s own and then go back and start the whole series over again.

I hear ya about the boring parts. About quarter of the way through I stopped mining altogether and still had minerals left over at the end. Will just mine what need from rich planets as I need it. I just checked and the ME Wiki list what minerals each planet has I’m sure I can also find a list of what planets have mini-missions associated with them too so I don’t have to hunt around a second time.

I wasn’t able to buy everything either but only had to miss out on a few item. Reading the Wiki it turns out I got real lucky picking my team at the end. I just figured it I should take the two I got into bed with me on the suicide mission which turn out to be a good choice.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #293918 02/26/10 09:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Spent the previous two days playing Bioshock 2. So far it’s like a more technically refined version of Bioshock but w/o the freshness of experiencing the world of Rapture for the first time.

On the plus side some things have been streamlined. While there’s still a hacking mini-game it’s been made quicker though just getting rid of it would have made it even less annoying. New tools/weapons and plasmids/tonics add some variety. Both the new things and requirements of game play do make for one very interesting change which is the importance of tactics. Both preparing the battlefield and gathering allies is a very interesting spin on the simple FPS style. Ambient sounds are great and discrete sound effects are distinctive.

On the negative side Rapture has lost some of it’s freshness for me. The first time seeing this world was spectacular and while it’s still a visual feast it’s really just more of the same. I’m really getting annoyed at listening to people talking to me. I hate the voice acting. Conceptually having a “god-like” voice directing you along is a great idea since it doesn’t pull you out of the story but I’ve never liked the voice acting nor much cared for the writing. At least I found the narrative in Bioshock interesting whereas I don’t in this one. I’m also sick of the scratchy sounding music. I like the music of the period just not the gramophone like presentation.

Lots more “badies” have guns even machine guns which means just running around knocking heads it’s always easy. However, it does mean machine gun ammo is more plentiful.

Overall it’s a good game so far but I’m just not drawn to it as much as I was to the original or ME2.

grunt #293931 02/26/10 02:24 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
nice review grunt. I have been holding off on getting that one because i thought it might just be more of the same.

I rented Heavy Rain on the PS3 last night and played for an hour or so. I am very impressed so far. It is definitely a VERY story driven game, with many choices to make along the way. Sometimes it is hard to tell if you are in a cutscene or not , so I just keep mashing down the R2 button to walk all the time...

The controls are definitely innovative to say the least. When pulling orange juice out of the fridge you have to make the appropriate right thumbstick movements to open the fridge, then press up to pick up the OJ, then shake the controller up and down to mix the juice, and then up on the thumbstick again to take a drink. When shaving in the morning you have to use the right thumbstick VERY softly and move it slowly or else you cut yourself.

I am just getting out of these "daily routines" which I think are designed to get you accustomed to the controls- and I'm getting into the story now.

I highly recommend anyone with a PS3 at least download the demo. I just rented the game since I think it can be beat in 10-12 hours or so.

-David
terzaghi #294055 02/26/10 09:18 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
Another one holding out for BS2, I was so stoked but I read some reviews and they all seem to echo what grunt is saying... A good game but not much different from the first, which was just an awesome and hugely fun game. I will buy it but I think I will wait a bit.

Potatohead #294067 02/26/10 09:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Overall it is a fun game my personal annoyance aside. I do like what they have done with the mini-boss fights (Big daddies, Big Sisters) and the Adam gathering exercises (waves of enemies come at you).

The changes in weaponry you get and the harder the mini-bosses are to kill and the more weaponry of the splicers than in the first game really does make you think about how to take on each situation. You can win some of those battles with brute force and determination but it depletes your stores of ammo, eve, and health. OTOH if you properly lay traps and set up a good field of fire you can turn some of the fights into turkey shoots, but not all of them. In a way this give a little more of a turn-based strategy/tactics feel to what otherwise would be just a simple twitch-fest.

I would say this is the most significant improvement in the game for me though it might seem like a subtle change to some.

I finally took a look at Heavy Rain since so many people have mentioned it. Looks like it’s just a PS3 game. The control scheme does sound interesting but the story setting and plot don’t sound appealing to me so even if it does come out for the 360 at some point I’ll probably skip it.

Last edited by grunt; 02/26/10 09:39 PM.

grunt #294465 03/01/10 02:31 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I beat Heavy Rain tonight.

This game has one of the most detailed plots of any video game I have ever played. I actually had 3 buddies come over and we stayed up until about 2am playing this game and drinking whiskey (wife was out of town). This game is great to play but also great to watch..The twists, turns, and interaction between all of the various characters melt together for one helluva ride. The controls are simple yet extremely effective. There are many key scenes in this game that left me on the edge of my seat.

This game has good sound and puts a good surround system to the test (It has great surround effects and detail but doesn't necessarily have a whole lot of LFE). Graphics are top notch.

This game is definitely worth a rent. It's best described as a movie that you have control over, The ultimate mystery story in a modern day choose your own adventure book style. I am not sure exactly how many hours we clocked in on the game before beating it but I'd guess around 10-15 at the most. There is some reply value, particularly if you are interested in finding out what happens if you make different decisions throughout the game. The relatively short completion time is the only thing that keeps this game from being a must purchase if you own a ps3.

-David
terzaghi #294748 03/02/10 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm playing Heavy Rain now.

MAN, intense game. Some scenes are pretty gut wrenching, especially if you're a parent. I think the simple controls work well with the gameplay and story line. I agree, some times you feel like your button mashing, but I think it adds to the frenzied feel/action on screen.

Stunning graphics and great gameplay. The adventure and story line feel are also well done. I REALLY hope to see more of these, but w/ my luck, probably not. \:\(

Page 70 of 183 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 182 183

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters