Page 1 of 2 1 2
New TiVo--what do you guys think?
#294766 03/03/10 12:33 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
http://gizmodo.com/5484003/tivo-premiere...l+%28Gizmodo%29

I'm still using an upgraded Series2. Of course, I only have SDTV, and my cable box will take a serial input. What are you guys using?

I'm not likely to change TiVos until this one dies or my TV dies (and I get an HDTV...), but what about y'all?

EDIT: oh, look, links work with out [ url] [/url ] now. How weird.

Last edited by kcarlile; 03/03/10 12:33 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: New TiVo--what do you guys think?
Ken.C #294767 03/03/10 12:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As a Tivo fanatic who owns an S3 (lifetime) and an aging (but upgraded via HDD) S2DT, I say 'Meh.'

Their press teaser made it sound like a big deal.

These are Tivo HD and XL's with a new GUI, that we won't get on our S3's. We are 'supposed' to get Pandora and FrameChannel. I do like the new GUI, it'd be nice to have the video playing while you're going through menus. I still wonder if they upped the PowerPC CPU, but they didn't even mention it. That would've been a big deal.

I will be getting a new plasma soon and will need a new Tivo for it. I'll probably go with the Premiere and find some Weaknees tools to up the HDD myself to 2GB, which IIRC is what the HD XL can do.

The remote is cool but it's almost like they copied the Boxee one. I can do w/o the Bluetooth remote because I use DVRemote on my iPhone which provides the keyboard functionality for free.

oldskoolboarder #294780 03/03/10 01:45 AM
I just picked up some Tivo HD's and are enjoying them very much....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #294813 03/03/10 03:59 AM
sirquack are enjoying his Tivos. \:\)

So the new interface is done with Adobe Flash, huh? Are there any other consumer electronic products with Flash-built UIs?

pmbuko #294862 03/03/10 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It won't work with Satellite HD. Ergo, it's useless to me. ;\)

Actually, I'd like to return to Tivo. "Back in the day", with Cable + SD, our first DVR's were Tivos. They were great. Changed how we view TV forever. Tivo still has the best DVR experience on the market and I'm sure the S4 will continue that. Would be hard for me to give up my free triple-tuner HD DVR that Dish provides, as it's DVR functions are ok. And have to go back to our horrible local cable provider. \:\(

On a technical front, it looks great. But I think it's pretty lame that Tivo still charges $300-$500 for an HD DVR box that doesn't include built-in Wifi. That's so 2003. How much are WiFi chipsets these days, a few cents? Seems odd that a state-of-the-art brand new DVR with a focus on the online experience would lack such a basic thing. I guess it's a good business opportunity to gouge their customers out of another ninety bucks for a WiFi dongle. And people think Apple overcharges.... ;\)

But really, I look forward to the day when we can get away from streaming programming and the need for DVR's all together. Just have everything be on-demand, ala AppleTV, Boxee, Hulu, etc.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #294868 03/03/10 04:46 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I’ve been looking at Tivo or Moxi for some time now. I’m not sure which one would be better. AVS has some great info on both. Here is a comparison chart with links to discussions on each unit. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433

A buddy of mine keeps telling me I need to just dump cable and buy an Apple TV. He is an IT / PC geek though. What he considers simple, I consider a headache, so I’ve been resistant to his suggestions, but am wondering if he’s onto something. I’m tired of being forced to buy mega channel packages to see a couple of my favorite shows.

michael_d #294874 03/03/10 04:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
I’ve been looking at Tivo or Moxi for some time now. I’m not sure which one would be better. AVS has some great info on both. Here is a comparison chart with links to discussions on each unit. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1204433

A buddy of mine keeps telling me I need to just dump cable and buy an Apple TV. He is an IT / PC geek though. What he considers simple, I consider a headache, so I’ve been resistant to his suggestions, but am wondering if he’s onto something. I’m tired of being forced to buy mega channel packages to see a couple of my favorite shows.

You might want to give Boxee a try. It's a 'little' geeky but it does give you an idea of what you can get from a media streamer like the AppleTV. Think Windows Media Center. Boxee works on Windows/Mac/Linux/AppleTV.

PeterChenoweth #294876 03/03/10 04:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
It won't work with Satellite HD. Ergo, it's useless to me. ;\)

Actually, I'd like to return to Tivo. "Back in the day", with Cable + SD, our first DVR's were Tivos. They were great. Changed how we view TV forever. Tivo still has the best DVR experience on the market and I'm sure the S4 will continue that. Would be hard for me to give up my free triple-tuner HD DVR that Dish provides, as it's DVR functions are ok. And have to go back to our horrible local cable provider. \:\(

On a technical front, it looks great. But I think it's pretty lame that Tivo still charges $300-$500 for an HD DVR box that doesn't include built-in Wifi. That's so 2003. How much are WiFi chipsets these days, a few cents? Seems odd that a state-of-the-art brand new DVR with a focus on the online experience would lack such a basic thing. I guess it's a good business opportunity to gouge their customers out of another ninety bucks for a WiFi dongle. And people think Apple overcharges.... ;\)

But really, I look forward to the day when we can get away from streaming programming and the need for DVR's all together. Just have everything be on-demand, ala AppleTV, Boxee, Hulu, etc.

Tivo announced a return to DirecTV last year. But as is typical, they take forever to happen. Like, what happened to the Tivo interface on Comcast? It rolled out back east and then disappeared.

oldskoolboarder #294879 03/03/10 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Tivo announced a return to DirecTV last year. But as is typical, they take forever to happen. Like, what happened to the Tivo interface on Comcast? It rolled out back east and then disappeared.

Indeed they did. And, just as you've said, I'm still waiting for it to happen... \:\)

I am optimistic that DirectTV & Tivo can make it happen. They did before, and the DirecTivo was a great DVR. They can do it again. Dish will lose and DirecTV will gain a customer the day they release a DirecTivo Dual-HD satellite tuner. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
michael_d #294881 03/03/10 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: michael_d

I don't intend to derail this topic, but if you can use iTunes, you can use an AppleTV. The ATV is very easy to use. We've discussed the ATV a few times around here. Do a search and you'll find some threads. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457