Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HTPC and Music Quality
ClubNeon #296366 03/13/10 02:36 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I think you've misunderstood something you've read. Intel's CPUs do no have video nor audio processing. They may be fast enough to decode H.264 without an external processor (but I'd still prefer to use the one in the video card), but there's nothing dedicated on the CPU (actually there's nothing dedicated on the GPU either, but I like to off-load what ever processing I can).

Windows 7 still has the software mixer. It's obvious when you can control the volume of each individual program that's producing sound. There was a stink from a very vocal minority, they were quickly forgotten. Though there was a consolation, an API was provided for programs who want to bitstream, but they have to be specifically written to do so. If they just open the Windows audio device and start playing sound, they'll get the new mixer.

Sorry I think you've misunderstood something you haven't read \:\)

I have the iCore 5 650, Windows 7, TMT3, and all the required ingredientss.

The new intel iCore 3 & 5 do have the GPU and audio processing on the CPU. (iCore 7 no) They came out beginning of the year. And with the proper playback software you can by pass the windows mixer and bitstream to your AVR processor. For BluRay, TMT3, WinDVD 2010, and others, for Music, FDDSHow and other software (ithink, on the music part)

The iCore CPUs were buildt just for HTPCs and can process any current HD video file format you can throw at it easily with the proper software setup correctly

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/13/10 02:57 PM.

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Glitchy #296376 03/13/10 04:00 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You mean Core i3 and i5. Since we're going around correcting each other.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #296377 03/13/10 04:05 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
You mean Core i3 and i5. Since we're going around correcting each other.

I stand corrected.

Glitchy #296381 03/13/10 04:24 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
I asked about "Bitstreaming Music thru the Windows Media Center interface over on the Core "i" thread over at AVS. and the below is the responses I got, in the first few minutes.

Originally Posted by wordgasm
Can you "bitstream" music (bypass the windows mixer) with the icore? If so what software do you need, I'm running wma lossless

Thanks

Jeff

You need to use a WASAPI renderer to bypass the mixer.

Today, 11:18 AM #2224 | Link
wordgasm
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by babgvant
You need to use a WASAPI renderer to bypass the mixer.

SOrry I've been focusing all my time on bitstreaming BluRay lately and haven't researched the music side. Will a WASAPI play thru the Media Center interface (WMP). Did a quick google on WASAPI renderer and don't see anything about it with WMC

Thanks

Jeff

Today, 11:20 AM #2225 | Link
babgvant

Originally Posted by wordgasm
SOrry I've been focusing all my time on bitstreaming BluRay lately and haven't researched the music side. Will a WASAPI play thru the Media Center interface (WMP). Did a quick google on WASAPI renderer and don't see anything about it with WMC

Thanks

Jeff

You can use Reclock and the MPC-HC audio renderers with WMC, but Reclock breaks live TV and the last time I used the MPC-HC renderer it was pretty beta.

Originally Posted by babgvant
You can use Reclock and the MPC-HC audio renderers with WMC, but Reclock breaks live TV and the last time I used the MPC-HC renderer it was pretty beta.

I should add that it's been a few months since I looked at the MPC-HC renderer. It could be much better now.

It's a shame that MC doesn't ship with an optional WASAPI renderer.

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/13/10 04:36 PM.

Glitchy #296388 03/13/10 05:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmm... thinking on this, if windows captures and remixes all audio, even from the most recent AMD graphics cards, would'nt that break HDCP?

This is exactly why I gave up on my HTPC. Its a full time job keeping up on what isn't working and how.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #296389 03/13/10 05:22 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Hmm... thinking on this, if windows captures and remixes all audio, even from the most recent AMD graphics cards, would'nt that break HDCP?

This is exactly why I gave up on my HTPC. Its a full time job keeping up on what isn't working and how.

HTPCs are getting much closer to not being such a pain. I've been playing with them for years. For me sticking with mainstream software and hardware, and not using everything trick in the book (trying to customize every interface, menu, leading edge software, drivers, codecs, renderers, etc.) makes mine much more reliable. I just rdp in about once a month and update my video drivers and anydvd. Most of the time these days it just works for music, Bluray with bitstreaming and OTA TV.

For Bluray you can bypass the windows mixer with commercial software players. For TV and music, thru WMC, then die hard ones are figuring it out as we speak, and I'll jump on board when they have it all worked out and reliable. With that said, TV and Music, thru the mixer sounds incredible for me. So I'm in no hurry, but will like it when it's available.

Audio thru the mixer (or not thru the mixer) does not break HDCP.

The core "i", bitstream, some ATI cards and the Xonar Audio card (with HDMI pass thru on the card) I have one of these Xonars available \:\) I moved on to Core i

Last edited by wordgasm; 03/13/10 05:28 PM.

Glitchy #296416 03/13/10 06:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, I did some reading on Anandtech and it looks like AMD is still not bitstreaming with their current gen on board graphics. The 890GX release looks to be a maintenance release as a bridge to their APU solution. It looks like that is going to happen in 2011 and it will be based on the current 5x series gpu.

Looks like Intel has made big gains with the i5 chip. The actually get similar performance to ATI's current onboard solution, which is a huge leap in performance from a year ago.

I'm thinking that the AMD 5x cards must do proper bitstreaming.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters