Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Elastomeric paint coatings for stucco- anyone?
Adrian #296441 03/13/10 10:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I've actually found Home Depot to be very accommodating.
They gave us a rebate on a toilet a month ago that expired last November when it was on sale.
We've had no issues returning items and getting credit or cash back even without receipts.
We've found alot of really good stuff there even if it wasn't in the store (i.e. their online site carries alot more stock than the stores do, WAYYY more lighting options for example).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #296472 03/14/10 03:31 AM
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
You think you're more useless than Peter and Ken's posts?
I dunno, that's quite a race for the top spot!
;\)

I knew calling you a dork was a mistake. ;\)

pmbuko #296482 03/14/10 05:01 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
You think you're more useless than Peter and Ken's posts?
I dunno, that's quite a race for the top spot!
;\)

I knew calling you a dork was a mistake. ;\)

Hey no cutting and pasting from other threads.
Try colouring within the lines eh Peter?

Last edited by chesseroo; 03/14/10 05:01 AM.

chesseroo #296484 03/14/10 05:26 AM
Try leaving extraneous vowels out of your words and we'll talk.

pmbuko #296554 03/14/10 08:07 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Try leaving extraneous vowels out of your words and we'll talk.

What did you say about my bowels?
Oh wait,that's a consonant substitution, not an extraneous vowel.

Last edited by chesseroo; 03/14/10 08:08 PM.

chesseroo #297255 03/18/10 11:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess, sorry about the delay but my bud just called me back today.

He say's that not too many painters uses elastomeric paint anymore due to the moisture that can get trapped between the paint and the stucco surface if it is not properly prepared, causing mold and other problems and that most quality 100% acrylic satin paints nowadays will work equally as well while being able to breathe.
He suggested going to two or three different paint dealers such as Glidden, Sherwin-Williams, Color Wheel or Duron and find out what they recommend and go with the preferred paint for your application. Said he thought *maybe* Behrs was OK but wouldn't take too much stock with what most of the home improvement stores suggest.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #297291 03/19/10 02:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Chess, sorry about the delay but my bud just called me back today.

He say's that not too many painters uses elastomeric paint anymore due to the moisture that can get trapped between the paint and the stucco surface if it is not properly prepared, causing mold and other problems and that most quality 100% acrylic satin paints nowadays will work equally as well while being able to breathe.
He suggested going to two or three different paint dealers such as Glidden, Sherwin-Williams, Color Wheel or Duron and find out what they recommend and go with the preferred paint for your application. Said he thought *maybe* Behrs was OK but wouldn't take too much stock with what most of the home improvement stores suggest.

Thanks for the info Rick.
I've been leaning towards just a typical stucco paint since i haven't really read any 'true' benefits of elastomeric paint and the few 'large' negatives such as increased cost and potential for moisture retention outweigh my thoughts that the unproven positives are worth the potential headache.

Funny thing, every painter seems to have their favorite brands and none of them ever seem to be the same.
We used interior Ralph Lauren and Benjamin Moore and didn't like the way either of them coated surfaces. The Behr we've had, both interior and exterior, have been excellent.
We had one can of CIL somewhere in the past though i don't really recall if we liked its application or not.

chesseroo #297296 03/19/10 02:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess, fwiw, I spoke with a Behr representative about two years ago(take this anyway you like as a result), and he told me that Behr did a "blind" test against the major paint brands including names like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams and many others where they allowed contractors who specifically favoured certain name brands to use paint out of unmarked cans on their jobs. I believe he said there were 8 competitors in total and Behr was favoured by over 50% of the contractors leaving 7 others with the rest much to the painters surprise.

Personally, I like Behr paint, it covers better than any other paint I've tried, goes on easy, has a rich pigment(?) and doesn't cost a whole lot. I've tried CIL a few times and find it doesn't cover well by comparison, almost seems watery and you need up to 3 coats imo. Benjamin Moore is good, but I find it no better than Behr despite it's higher cost. I've tried a couple of others, but I prefer the Behr both for quality and price.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #297297 03/19/10 02:44 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
When we tried the Ralph Lauren paint, we liked the colour options, but for some reason it disintegrated the Ralph Lauren foam brush roller recommended for its application and we ended up picking bits of foam off a freshly coated wall because of it.

I may go back to trying a Ralph Lauren paint at some point but i'll use a different 'brand' of roller or applicator. I'm willing to stay open to the idea that their paint isn't always that destructive.
However, if there is a strike two, i won't buy it again. Pretty much applies to alot of products i consider.

Adrian #297298 03/19/10 02:45 AM
Another Behr fan here. I use it for all my walls and most of the trim, but I prefer Valspar for white trim. They make a nice thick semi-gloss that goes on really nice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters