Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
QS4 or QS8?
#2960 05/09/02 05:19 AM
OP Offline
HI:

OK, I think I have decided to opt for the Axiom quadpoles as surrounds, but cannot decide between the QS4's and the QS8's. I would go for the 8's in spite of the extra cost because I assume they sound better, but for one thing. I have to place these speakers on walls very near my ceiling. I cannot alter this placement due to insurmountable WAF issues. The placement are is bounded on the bottom by a curtain rod and on the top by the ceiling. Problem is, where I would have to place the QS8's, they will be 1.5 inches from the ceiling at top. Since these are top firing (woofs fire from top and bottom), I am wondering if that is a problem if the sound from the top woof collides with the ceiling 1.5 inchs out. With the 4's, it would be 4 inches from the ceiling because those speakers are smaller. My understanding is that with multipolar speakers, the sound is supposed to reflect off surfaces, but is this nearness to the ceiling a problem? Clearly if it was flush up against the ceiling it *would* be, but what about 1-4 inches away?

Re: QS4 or QS8?
#2961 05/09/02 10:57 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
One inch away is getting awfully close to the ceiling. I think the QS4 is the right way to go for your particular mounting environment. I gather there is no way to have the speaker out in front of the curtain rod.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#2962 05/09/02 12:12 PM
OP Offline
Yeah, I am leaning toward the 4's. What are the sonic differences between the 4's and 8's, other than the low bass extension? Do the 8's have better tweeters?

#2963 05/10/02 08:26 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The QS8s have the full 1" tweeter like the M22. The QS4s have the smaller tweeter but it should be kept in mind that the smaller woofers on the QS4s takes some of the load off the tweeters. You will have a bit of sonic loss and efficiency loss but I do not think this is worth worrying about for the gains you will get by using the QS4s.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#2964 05/16/02 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So Ian, what is the reccomended location for either the QS4's or the 8's? My room is 15ft wide x 18ft deep, with an 8ft ceiling. I am running a pair of M80's in the front, (on the 15ft wall) approx 8ft apart. I'm thinking of mounting the surrounds on the side walls towards the back of the room.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#2965 05/16/02 09:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello real80sman,

Ian would likely concur, but in the meantime, I think side mounting is preferable (and also what Dolby Labs advise). In my experience, getting them up 2 or 3 feet higher than seated listeners works very well. I used a couple of stepladders to temporarily try different locations in a difficult room. Try that first, if you can, and then move them slightly forward or rearward to see what differences that makes. Keep them away from corners. They don't have to be "aimed" at the listening area.

Usually, large rooms are much easier, and the QS4s and QS8s are more accommodating to asymmetrical placement.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2966 05/28/02 05:16 AM
old hand
old hand
Alan,
Not to beat a dead horse, but if I read your comments right, you would personally prefer to have your surrounds wall mounted as opposed to using the QSS8 stands?

I'm just asking, because I will be buying a set of QS8s in the very near future, and was planning on also getting the stands. Unfortunately, neither wall-mounting or stands are ideal, as my room is long and narrow (13 x24) with the short wall in front. Currently I have 2 direct radiating wimpy speakers for the surround channels in an old Dolby Prologic system, along the back wall behind the seating area. Having just bought a 7.1 capable pre/pro, I was tentatively planning on getting 2 sets of QS8s (not necessarily at once!) for the side and rear surrounds. The rears can easily be stand-mounted, and there are speaker connections hard-wired into the rear wall for this. But there isn't much room to the side of seating area either for stands or for wall mounting. The right wall raises to a cathedral ceiling so wall mounting a QS8 above 7 ft is OK, but the left wall has a window, and the ceiling is right at 7 ft leaving a wall mounted speaker right in the walking path! A stand would kind of be in the way too, so I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Thanks,

ChrisR

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#2967 05/28/02 02:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Chris,

That old horse has been regularly beaten for years now!
Nope, the QS8s will work just fine on stands, even at the rear rather than the side. I just try and steer people to the theoretically ideal setup. As you know, every room is different and my experience living in different homes and apartments suggests that multipolar surrounds are the most versatile and accommodating to eccentric or asymmetrical placement. A lot less "fussy" to position and still get a good sense of envelopment.

Ian, on the other hand, uses rear placement in several locations and the one setup that I've heard was entirely convincing. So experiment a bit and choose the locations for the QS8s that seem to immerse you in the soundfield best.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082