Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: National Champions? You decide
#29841 01/05/04 08:53 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I am slightly surprised but completely happy and content that I know absolutely nothing about this. And I call myself a man, too.

#29842 01/05/04 09:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'll agree with you there Rob, it's pretty bad to lose a world championship on a goal that you banked in off the back of your own defenseman.

"Chickens don't clap."
#29843 01/05/04 09:30 PM
R
buff
buff
R
Did anyone notice during the game when they were talking about the USA's top goal scorer...Parise...the camera then panned up to his parents in the stands.
His father is J.P. Parise, the guy who hauled off with his stick, and almost took the referees head off (but decided otherwise the last second) during a questionable call during the 1972 Canada vs USSR series.

#29844 01/05/04 10:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I always remembered Phil Esposito as being the one that just about took off the refs head, but it was him that held J.P. back it think, no? Parise was definitely the goon on the team, he ended the Series with the most PIMs @ 28. Maybe he was just frustrated...

His boy is one hell of a hockey player though, the Devils have to be really happy about that pick!

"Chickens don't clap."
#29845 01/06/04 12:02 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
sorry
i didnt make it clear(as usual with my posts). i didnt mean NIU deserved a BCS spot. But, the BCS system the coaches worked out 6 years ago(97') unjustly alligns bowls with big conferences. It is a result of the BCS that NIU did not gain a bowl berth.

I saw the highlight of the goal bouncing off his teamates helmet. kind of funny.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#29846 01/06/04 04:26 PM
local
local
In reply to:

It is a result of the BCS that NIU did not gain a bowl berth.

The BCS only involves four bowls, none of which Northern Illinois would have played in if not for the BCS. NIU didn't go to a bowl game because they didn't win their conference and because their fan base doesn't travel well.

#29847 01/06/04 04:42 PM
local
local
Yeah, the NCAA is hard at work on killing most of the small schools. I don't know if anyone's taken time to consider the impact of conferences like the MAC losing Marshall. If you consider the NCAA's rules on size of stadium, facilities, avg. attendance (etc), and think about how that will be affected by the mass exodus of schools to the new "mega conferences" it's a death warrant for a lot of schools.

Which means it's highly likely that NCAA Division I football will be shrinking significantly over the next 10 years...

You combine less schools that need NCAA handouts (I'm
referring to the scheduled whompings that generate precious appearance fees for the smaller schools), larger conferences (with more in-conference games) and what do you get?

1) Less conferences that are bowl eligible (eliminating the concern someone mentioned about smaller schools being "screwed").

2) Possible shorter schedules and opening weeks up for a playoff system.

3) Less money to be shared with the little guys.

Perhaps it's just a conspiracy theory...but I think we're well on the way to getting the playoff everyone wants...a lot of folks just don't realize the ramifications.

Having said that, unless you went to a small school or care about smaller conferences (I happened to go to Western Michigan University a MAC school) there's little reason for you to care.

On the other hand, they talk about how football is the big revenue generator for colleges athletic programs and that's not actually true. Even with a yearly whomping at the hands of Virginia, Virginia Tech or Michigan, WMU actually operates football at a loss. Of course "needing" to do things like shack up all the football players in Kalamazoo's best hotel the night before home games (with room service) means there's a LOT of other problems.

Enough with my ranting!

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#29848 01/06/04 04:52 PM
local
local
In reply to:

The BCS only involves four bowls, none of which Northern Illinois would have played in if not for the BCS. NIU didn't go to a bowl game because they didn't win their conference and because their fan base doesn't travel well.

While this is true to some degree (money - in this case attendence - is the ultimate reason for everything), Hawkson makes a good point. As I remember it, when the BCS system went into place a ton of bowls (and conferences) were guaranteed and assigned slots (IE: #6 Big Ten goes: "here") to stifle whining which in turn did significantly narrow the options for smaller conferences.

More than anything it's just more fuel to my fire. By assigning bowl bids to the major schools, the NCAA is again effectively contributing to the death of smaller Division I conferences.

It should be noted I'm not whining. I'm not even sure it's a bad thing. But it's a thing none the less.

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#29849 01/06/04 05:31 PM
local
local
I'm not totally certain on this, but I think the bowl/conference alignments predate the BCS. I do know that they include smaller conferences -- the MAC is guaranteed spots in the GMAC Bowl and the Motor City Bowl. I'm pretty sure these alignments do not come from the NCAA but are negotiated between the bowls and conferences.

I'm not sure what I think about the drive to reduce the number of Division 1-A football programs. I think the intent is to prevent so many schools from losing so much money on their football programs, but I'm not so sure they shouldn't be allowed to make that decision for themselves. I do certainly hope that it doesn't lead to a playoff... I'm a big fan of the pre-BCS bowl system.

#29850 01/07/04 12:48 AM
veteran
veteran
Instead of having 50 different bowl games (I seem to remember one in a snowstorm in Utah or Idaho a few years ago), there should be a playoff of the top 16 ranked teams. Start the Saturday before Christmas (so that finals are over for the kids that actually go to class) and be done by the middle of January (which is usually the time that the second semester begins) with a crowned national champion. As far as teams like Northern...Aaron Stecker, a running back from Green Bay transfered from Wisconsin to Northern Illinois when he couldn't get playing time behind Wisconsin's great runners. He now plays for the Buccaneers. Even though great players many times come from small schools (Jerry Rice comes to mind also), small schools cannot compete with the big boys. Yup, they can pull the upset once in a while on a day when the major school is looking forward or resting their stars, but as a whole, they would have no chance in a playoff with the likes of Michigan, USC, LSU, or Oklahoma, not to mention the Florida schools etc.

Not trying to degrade the smaller schools or mid-majors, but honestly, division 1A should be the big boys only.

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters