Rate Thread
Can I do this? AT screen
#299205 03/29/10 06:02 PM
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I have already decided to purchase an electric acoustically transparent screen. This would drop down in front of the center channel and plasma screen in our den.

Now, I have two options. Go with a 92" screen that would come down and sit just above the left and right channel. Keep in mind this would make the screen higher than advised. Or a 103" screen that would come down in front of the left and right channel. The catch with the 103" is that the bottom velvet border and batten would be 1.8" which would block a part of the speaker/speakers.

Other than using an AT screen will I notice a big difference when I'm blocking small portion of speaker like that? Should I play it safe and still with a 92"?

The screen comes highly recommended: http://seymourav.com

HG Cherry M80's, QS8's, VP150, and a pair of EP500's
Re: Can I do this? AT screen
jbsengineer #299211 03/29/10 06:17 PM
shareholder in the making
I don't think it would be a huge deal, though which driver is blocked will make more or less of a difference. I'd much rather block a woofer than a tweeter...as a matter of fact, I probably wouldn't hesitate for a moment to block woofer, and wouldn't do it at all if it's right in line with a tweeter. For the midranges, I'd probably try to get it between drivers.

I think it would be easy to build a low platform to raise the speakers 1" ~ 7" just to make sure a critical driver isn't blocked....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #299212 03/29/10 06:23 PM
Funny, they are in Ames, Iowa and I've never heard of them. Which drivers would be blocked by the larger screen?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #299213 03/29/10 06:24 PM
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
I haven't measured where the ideal height would be for the screen. But I envision it that the 1.8" would fall in between the 2 drivers, or in between the top woofer and bottom driver.

Last edited by jbsengineer; 03/29/10 06:26 PM.

jbsengineer #299665 03/31/10 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
While I have read some arguments on both sides of their theories on a few things like horizontal center channels, I was impressed with this screen company in that they do not try to claim that their screens have zero effect on sound produced from speakers behind the veil as many AT screen manufacturers will lead you to believe. They actually speak to the effects on levels and the effects it has on different frequency ranges.

I'm still not sure I want an AT screen but if I did, I might be impressed enough with their openness to buy from them.

to quote from their web sight...
The qualitative effects of having a fabric in front of your speakers is that you will notice that brighter recordings are tamed down a little, with a slight loss of sparkle and air, because the attenuation is higher in the top octave. While the average attenuation of the Center Stage XD screen fabric is 1.5 dB from 8k-20kHz, adding the black backing will increase this attenuation around one more decibel.

Of course, "sparkle" and "Air" are very open to interpretation but since they are describing what they admit to being mildly 'lost' as opposed to 'magically created....', I can forgive them.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #299666 03/31/10 04:30 PM
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
 Originally Posted By: Murph
While I have read some arguments on both sides of their theories on a few things like horizontal center channels, I was impressed with this screen company in that they do not try to claim that their screens have zero effect on sound produced from speakers behind the veil as many AT screen manufacturers will lead you to believe. They actually speak to the effects on levels and the effects it has on different frequency ranges.

I'm still not sure I want an AT screen but if I did, I might be impressed enough with their openness to buy from them.

to quote from their web sight...
The qualitative effects of having a fabric in front of your speakers is that you will notice that brighter recordings are tamed down a little, with a slight loss of sparkle and air, because the attenuation is higher in the top octave. While the average attenuation of the Center Stage XD screen fabric is 1.5 dB from 8k-20kHz, adding the black backing will increase this attenuation around one more decibel.

Of course, "sparkle" and "Air" are very open to interpretation but since they are describing what they admit to being mildly 'lost' as opposed to 'magically created....', I can forgive them.

I was also impressed by there 30 day full refund return policy. Even the custom orders can be returned.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters