Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I'm starting to prefer my HT over the local one...
grunt #299451 03/30/10 07:03 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Generally only go to a theater to take the kids, so they get that movie theater experience and then hopefully they will appreciate my system that much more \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
fredk #299456 03/30/10 07:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
But don't you miss those wet sneezes on the back of your neck

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #299461 03/30/10 07:25 PM
Depending on the type of theater you were in, that likely wasn't a wet sneeze, 2x6.

grunt #299467 03/30/10 07:32 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
I enjoy going to movie theaters to watch movies, though probably mostly for the popcorn. However, it is now so expensive, and there is such a good chance that someone in the theater will be annoying, I usually just stay home and watch movies. Can't say that I prefer the sound at home versus the theater (or vice versa), but the experience at home with the home theater and quality televisions is so enjoyable that in my book there is no "need" to go out to watch a movie. All-in-all, I simply prefer the home experience to the movie theater experience.

RayLewis #299490 03/30/10 08:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The last time I went to the movie theater was around 10 years ago. They just built a brand new Galaxy Cinema, and there was a lot of hype built up around its accessibility, so I thought I would check it out.

The movie theater was extremely accessible with ramps everywhere that looked like they were part of the Cinema (they didn't stand out like a ramp made out of wood). So, my friend and I get into the theater to get ready for the movie, and their wheelchair seating section was for rows from the screen. Now, it wouldn't have been so bad if you are sitting in a "theater chair" and slightly tilted back, but my wheelchair was positioned on a flat surface (essentially the walkway) and I had to tilt my head back to look at this gigantic screen. Needless to say, I only lasted about 10-15 minutes, then had to watch the remainder of the movie with my head straight and my eyes looking up. I couldn't get up the next day because my neck was so sore.

It continues to amaze me how things are designed to be accessible, but they're only done so partially, as with this case, or not at all.

My friends and family are very aware of the accessibility issues, even if they're designed with accessibility in mind.

That's just one instance, no need to carry on about others.

Oh wait, one more: if there's someone waiting in line at an elevator that has mobility issues, or someone with a stroller etc., give them the right of way! That really ticks everyone I know off.

Well, that's my rant for the day, or moment at least \:\) .

PS. I don't claim to have any sort of hierarchy, just trying to inform for the better.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #299495 03/30/10 08:17 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Oh wait, one more: if there's someone waiting in line at an elevator that has mobility issues, or someone with a stroller etc., give them the right of way! That really ticks everyone I know off.
I always have and have noticed that sentiment from others waiting in line \:D

Mojo says Hi!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #299500 03/30/10 08:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a hard time biting my tongue when it happens. If I've had a couple drinks, I'm almost always next on the elevator .

Hey Mojo, dude!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #299520 03/30/10 09:17 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow, I guess that was the 'Duh, big red truck' thread of the day then. I had no idea that the majority of the members of this forum only frequent an actual cinema a few times per decade. Looks like I'm definately in the minority here on this one then. We'll anyway, apart from really liking physically going to see a movie, I guess it also stems from my being terribly impatient! When I see a super cool looking flick, I just can't wait 4 - 5 months for it to come out on DVD (anyone here with a funny bone should pick up the first pirated copy of 'Hot Tub Time Machine' that comes out!!!). I'd go nuts.

Also, Cam I had no idea you'd been in your wheelchair that long? Shoot man I'm sorry to hear that. I can't say that I've never got on an elevator before a person in a wheelchair has, but if I have I certainly wasn't using my head. To tell you the truth I can't even remember ever riding an elevator with someone in a wheelchair... anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that I would never do anything like that on purpose. But from now on I will make it a point to become more aware of that sort of situation, and make sure I never accidentally do something boneheaded like that.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Ya_basta #299521 03/30/10 09:17 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
I used to love going to the theatre but hadn't been there in 7 years or so. Recently my wife really really wanted to see Avitar so I took her there for her birthday. Huge screen, great picture, awesome sound, exhilurating...I wondered why I had stayed away for so long.

Then 20min into the movie the guy in the seat next to me has his cell phone go off. He answers, talks and then turns off the ringer but leaves the vibrate on. He gets calls throughout the entire movie, maybe 5 or 6 in total. I can hear the vibrate go off every time, I can hear him typing every time, and his screen shines into my peripheral vision every time. THEN I remembered why I stopped going to the theatre.

Anyhow, my HT isn't ready yet so I didn't have an option, but once it's all setup I'm not leaving the room.

Micah #299531 03/30/10 09:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Micah

Also, Cam I had no idea you'd been in your wheelchair that long? Shoot man I'm sorry to hear that. I can't say that I've never got on an elevator before a person in a wheelchair has, but if I have I certainly wasn't using my head. To tell you the truth I can't even remember ever riding an elevator with someone in a wheelchair... anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that I would never do anything like that on purpose. But from now on I will make it a point to become more aware of that sort of situation, and make sure I never accidentally do something boneheaded like that.

Yeah man, I had my accident when I was 18, and I'm 32 now. No worries though, I have a roof over my head and food on my plate.

The only reason I mention these things is in hopes that people will use their better judgment. Heck, if I was able bodied I wouldn't know any better.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters