Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Decided on Axiom after audition with Jakewash!!
Riker #301811 04/14/10 03:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Riker
The Pro 55 MKI is a 12" driver and 150W amp, sells for $1500 CA...

Wow, $10 bucks per watt? That's pretty steep, it BETTER be a good subwoofer for that kind of cabbage!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #301936 04/14/10 10:27 PM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
So here is how the last 10 mins have played out. I'm on the phone with SVS super excited as I'm ordering the Ultra 13. 3 Mins later I'm giddy as I tell my buddy at work. 2 Mins later I start to think about my wife's reaction when a massive box arrives at our door while she is at home and I am at work. 3 mins ago until now I'm super nervous and fearful! She's going to be mad! I'm reflecting on one of our recent conversations while I was researching subs in bed. She looked over at my laptop and said "you are NOT spending $2000 on a subwoofer" to which I did not have a witty reply to. Any ideas on how to soften the blow? I did get the rosenut finish so it should look very nice. And really under all this fear I'm still super excited. It is really what I wanted, I just had a hard time bringing myself to put down the money - especially with the negative outside influence ; )

In the end I didn't like the looks of the ED, and the size and weight gave me concerns as my room is small (not that the svs is tiny by any means), the HSU ULS-15 looked nice but shipped would've been within $500 and I was doubting that performance would equal the SVS. I had looked at some lower cost alternatives, but I was so worried that I would be underwhelmed and always second guessing my decision. With the SVS I think I'll have no regrets, other than the fury of a scorned wife that is!

I'm one happy guy! Now, recommendations on making the wife happy. Any?

Redsands #301938 04/14/10 10:35 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: Redsands
So here is how the last 10 mins have played out. I'm on the phone with SVS super excited as I'm ordering the Ultra 13. 3 Mins later I'm giddy as I tell my buddy at work. 2 Mins later I start to think about my wife's reaction when a massive box arrives at our door while she is at home and I am at work. 3 mins ago until now I'm super nervous and fearful! She's going to be mad! I'm reflecting on one of our recent conversations while I was researching subs in bed. She looked over at my laptop and said "you are NOT spending $2000 on a subwoofer" to which I did not have a witty reply to. Any ideas on how to soften the blow? I did get the rosenut finish so it should look very nice. And really under all this fear I'm still super excited. It is really what I wanted, I just had a hard time bringing myself to put down the money - especially with the negative outside influence ; )

In the end I didn't like the looks of the ED, and the size and weight gave me concerns as my room is small (not that the svs is tiny by any means), the HSU ULS-15 looked nice but shipped would've been within $500 and I was doubting that performance would equal the SVS. I had looked at some lower cost alternatives, but I was so worried that I would be underwhelmed and always second guessing my decision. With the SVS I think I'll have no regrets, other than the fury of a scorned wife that is!

I'm one happy guy! Now, recommendations on making the wife happy. Any?

Because your a great guy! Send her to a SPA for 3 days on the day the sub is supposed to arrive and make sure it sounds great while watching "The Notebook" when she gets home. (and make sure she spends AT LEAST 2K at the spa)

Last edited by wordgasm; 04/14/10 10:38 PM.

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Redsands #301939 04/14/10 10:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I once bought (on big sale) and dragged in to my shop a 300 lb. planer jointer---alone, 'cause no one could get here fast enough to help before I would have been busted. I can see why the sub in living room wouldn't have qualified for that method.

Oh, and as for asking here for your specific advice; If any of the guys who hang around here know better than you do how to please your wife, I'd be extremely suspicious ;-)

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Redsands #301940 04/14/10 10:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you work hard enough to afford the sub, then be happy with the purchase and take the wrath for a week or so. If you are short on change and the wife is right, shame on you! \:\)

Seriously, it would be hard for me to drop $2k without the wife's approval. We have sort of an unwritten rule that any purchase over $200 or so requires discussion on both sides.

I'm sure you will love the new sub, and if you crank it up high enough she may be able to enjoy it in unthinkable ways! Yeah... that's the selling point!

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
BobKay #301941 04/14/10 10:42 PM
G
aficionado
aficionado
G
 Originally Posted By: BobKay

Oh, and as for asking here for your specific advice; If any of the guys who hang around here know better than you do how to please your wife, I'd be extremely suspicious ;-)

You don't know RedSands wife? I thought most here did.

Fronts/Wides:M22s in/on
Center:VP150/VP100 in/on
Hghts,SS,SR:QS8s
Sub:EP500
AVR:Onkyo 3008
Glitchy #301943 04/14/10 11:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The good news is, if she kicks you out you could probably crawl inside the port hole on the SVS to get in out of the rain.

There was a rather funny moment at my house just a few weeks ago sort of similar to this. You don't know the history behind my EP800, but let's just say there's a story behind it. Anyways Axiom sent me so many parts for it while trying to get it to work that I pretty much stopped even telling her what was going on next with it because everytime I did tell her this or that concerning the subwoofer this blank stare suddenly came over her face, and I knew she was in another place boding her time while electronics AV jargon spewed forth from my jaws.

Well the last communication I had with Axiom went something like this, "ok we're thrilled the beta amp is working for you, when we get the finished product built we will ship it out to you. It will be a little bigger than the current one, so you'll have to make some modifications to the subwoofer to make it fit. We will send instructions on how to do the necessary mods".

I was fine with that. So in the following weeks I started to anticipate the UPS man pulling up and dropping off yet another box containing the new amp in it. Time went by, no amp... Oh well, I really did start to forget about it for a while.

Then one day just a few weeks ago me and the little lady were outside when a UPS truck backs down our drive. "Oh, my amp is here"!!! I exclaimed with glee, nothing like forgotten AV gear showing up to put a smile on a guys face! The guy comes around the back of his truck and says, "I have a pretty heavy box for you, you mind helping me"?

"Not at all, I can probably handle it myself actually, I've handled quite a few of these over the past year, trust me"! I chuckled.

"Really? This thing weighs 120 pounds, you sure you don't want a hand"?

For about 10 seconds after that sentence left his mouth all that could be heard were crickets chirping and birds squalking. Finally I found the words, "120 pounds? What the hell did they make the new amp out of anyway, pure lead"? As he opened the back of the truck and I saw the familiar, and massive box I was quite confused to say the least. When my fiancee saw it, a different emotion overcame her face.

"Ummmm... What did you buy, another subwoofer"? She asked, noticably more than just a little curious as to how I expected to squeeze another EP800 into our living room without her noticing it!

"Uuuuhhhh, no actually I didn't! I have not a clue what the heck is going on here"? I was able to say that making quite the convincing face because.... well because I really didn't have any clue as to what was going on at that point. It wasn't until later that I realzed they had decided to just replace the entire subwoofer rather than make us try to cut a bigger hole in our current unit to make room for the new amp.

I suggest you practice making that same face from now until the SVS arrives at your door. Practice this line in the mirror at work everyday from now until it arrives, "uuuuhhhh, I have no idea what the heck is going on here honey"... The day you get home, open the door and see your wife standing there with molten lava dripping from her eye sockets, you'll know you've been que'd! ;\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Redsands #301962 04/15/10 03:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a very common mistake. The approach I took (which also seems to be CV's approach) is to build the entire HT system BEFORE getting a wife or a girlfriend. As soon as I was done with my expenses last month, I allowed the girlfriend to come into my life. The keyword here is AFTER you spend the money! \:\)

So Charles, two more EP800s and you can get a girlfriend!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #301964 04/15/10 03:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very good advice.

EFalardeau #301970 04/15/10 04:51 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
So Charles, two more EP800s and you can get a girlfriend!

I don't know if I'll ever be able to fit a girlfriend in. I need a projector and screen at some point, and then a new pre-pro, and a Buttkicker LFE kit, and new seating, and....

It's hopeless.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020