Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: House brick damaged, repair help needed
michael_d #300747 04/07/10 07:55 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
I would then use a combination of water shield and mastic to seal the exposed area, then I would grout over that up to the door threshold. After the gout has set, I’d run the pavers up to and under the threshold. That would be roughly one day’s work.

You shouldn’t have to remove the door unless the leading edge of the actual door frame is unsupported. If the builder did things correctly, he/she would have put liberal amounts of caulking under the threshold to seal it to the seal plate. The pictures look like the threshold is a scabbed on chunk of aluminum with a bunch of caulking slobbered all over the place. You may be able to just yank that off without removing the door. Whatever you have there, that leading edge needs to be supported by something, whether it be the pavers or a board screwed to the foundation.

Michael or Joe, how thick should the grout be? Should it extend out to the house brick? I'm assuming it should be applied to that whole area; from the foundation up to the bottom of the threshold, and from brick to brick?

Also, the pavers on the walkway do extend underneath the threshold to support it.

Edit-could you point me in the right direction as far as what I should get for water shield, mastic and grout i.e. brand name and specific product.

Thank you very much guys.

Last edited by wheelz999; 04/07/10 08:02 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #300986 04/08/10 10:23 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Michael or Joe, how thick should the grout be? Should it extend out to the house brick? I'm assuming it should be applied to that whole area; from the foundation up to the bottom of the threshold, and from brick to brick?

Also, the pavers on the walkway do extend underneath the threshold to support it.

Edit-could you point me in the right direction as far as what I should get for water shield, mastic and grout i.e. brand name and specific product.

Thank you very much guys.

There are several different brands of ice & water shield. See here for a little info. The stuff is not cheap but it serves a good purpose. Wherever you get it should be able to sell you a compatable mastic.

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins
Joe_in_SC #300995 04/08/10 11:27 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
You’ll probably have to use both mastic and water shield. I like Grace, but Bituthene works well too. It really depends on what you find there. This will act as a moisture barrier.

When I mentioned grout, that probably isn’t the right term. It’s a mix of concrete, lime, sand and pee gravel. You’ll have to staple up some expanded metal then trowel the mix onto it. It basically just ties the original grout to the exposed area and provides an additional layer of protection. It’ll end up being about one inch thick. You backfill and compact some sand / dirt after the grout sets up.

michael_d #301014 04/09/10 01:35 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks guys, greatly appreciated as always.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup