Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Advice for a mobile media newbie.
pmbuko #300551 04/06/10 03:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For portable audio and video playback.

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #300557 04/06/10 03:44 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I just got a Droid.

You should get an iPhone or an iPad.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #300573 04/06/10 04:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dean
Yes, you can play MP3 or Apple lossless formats. Sorry, no FLAC, OGG or the like.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at Apple's app store. That is their strength. You can get apps to control stuff on your network, including other PCs/Macs, Tivos, Pandora, specialized apps to access HP Home Servers (like my EX495), home automation, games, etc. The fact that those apps work on iPod Touches, iPads and iPhones is the real strength. Yes, you have to commit to the Apple ecosystem but it's a BIG eco system. Android has promise but it's not there...yet.

BTW, I did play w/ my coworker's iPad yesterday. I'm an Apple fanatic and early adopter, but I couldn't see buying this thing because I already own a Kindle and a Dell Mini 9 Netbook (running Win7 and OSX). After 10 minutes, I want one. It doesn't replace a laptop or smartphone, but it does replace a Kindle and netbook. Even the soft keyboard in landscape mode is better than a netbook. Gorgeous screen, Kindle app, and promising iBook store. The killer for me: viewing full page comics. Wow.

Yeah, it doesn't have a camera, but I rarely do video chat so it's not a deal killer. And if I need a camera in a pinch, I always have my iPhone w/ me.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 04/06/10 04:56 PM.
oldskoolboarder #300604 04/06/10 07:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My recommendation would be to separate your audio/video player and mobile phone/wi-fi device. Apple products just don't have the battery life for a all in one device (like the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) IF you are going to be using the audio/video sections for extensive periods of time like 13 hour plane rides. I would recommend something from Cowon like the s9 or d2 (or whatever) that offer extensive battery life like 50-60 hours for music 10-20 for video. Get a phone of your choice and you are set for the even the most demanding portable audio/video use (and by your original post that seems to be the case)

-Max Payne
pmbuko #300605 04/06/10 07:31 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You can easily enable your iPod's hard disk mode via a check-box in iTunes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1478

I’m sort of confused at what that article is saying. Seems to indicate that files copied that way are not playable from the iPod only being stored on it. Or is it allowing standard mp3s to be copied and played while bypassing the iTunes encoding (tagging or whatever else it does) process?

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #300606 04/06/10 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We both posted exactly at 3:31.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #300607 04/06/10 07:39 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
My recommendation would be to separate your audio/video player and mobile phone/wi-fi device. Apple products just don't have the battery life for a all in one device (like the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) IF you are going to be using the audio/video sections for extensive periods of time like 13 hour plane rides. I would recommend something from Cowon like the s9 or d2 (or whatever) that offer extensive battery life like 50-60 hours for music 10-20 for video. Get a phone of your choice and you are set for the even the most demanding portable audio/video use (and by your original post that seems to be the case)

Both the battery life and media format support (MKV OGG) of the Cowons looks intriguing though at some point I might have to resign myself to using one standard format for simplicities sake. Something akin to your recommendation of separating some functions seem to be that way to go as no one thing seems to get it all right.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
ClubNeon #300608 04/06/10 07:43 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
A feature, which in my opinion should be required, is that the player show up as a mass storage device. So you can manage the files on it as if it was just a USB drive. As opposed to requiring proprietary software to copy media files to the player. That way if you have any other file you need to transport, you just make a "Junk" folder or what ever and store your stuff there.

I agree but everything I’ve read recently is blending together, can you recommend one that operates like that. I’ve seen a lot of car audio that will sync up with an iPod using the same interface but haven’t noticed if there is anything out there that would simply work as an external hard drive or flash drive.

oldskoolboarder #300609 04/06/10 07:48 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
Dean
Yes, you can play MP3 or Apple lossless formats. Sorry, no FLAC, OGG or the like.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at Apple's app store. That is their strength. You can get apps to control stuff on your network, including other PCs/Macs, Tivos, Pandora, specialized apps to access HP Home Servers (like my EX495), home automation, games, etc. The fact that those apps work on iPod Touches, iPads and iPhones is the real strength. Yes, you have to commit to the Apple ecosystem but it's a BIG eco system. Android has promise but it's not there...yet.

BTW, I did play w/ my coworker's iPad yesterday. I'm an Apple fanatic and early adopter, but I couldn't see buying this thing because I already own a Kindle and a Dell Mini 9 Netbook (running Win7 and OSX). After 10 minutes, I want one. It doesn't replace a laptop or smartphone, but it does replace a Kindle and netbook. Even the soft keyboard in landscape mode is better than a netbook. Gorgeous screen, Kindle app, and promising iBook store. The killer for me: viewing full page comics. Wow.

Yeah, it doesn't have a camera, but I rarely do video chat so it's not a deal killer. And if I need a camera in a pinch, I always have my iPhone w/ me.

Yeah I haven’t even started thinking about apps yet but should since it seems this will be a major part of the functionality of portable devices.

Did you do much surfing with the iPad you tried. Listening to NPR on the way to work they were discussing the iPad launch and I guess there are issues with it playing flash videos if the sight hasn’t been designed to support the iPad. While I asssume most sites would be quick to support “I” anything and other players also seem to have some flash issues I just wondered if you had a take on this.

It was actual that story which finally got me moving on this since the next story sucked and so did everything else on at the time.

grunt #300611 04/06/10 08:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I agree but everything I’ve read recently is blending together, can you recommend one that operates like that. I’ve seen a lot of car audio that will sync up with an iPod using the same interface but haven’t noticed if there is anything out there that would simply work as an external hard drive or flash drive.

The Sansa players by Sandisk behave as a regular flash drive, but are missing many of the other features you want.

I really like my PSP (works as a USB flash drive, and has removable storage), but it's too big to carry with me everywhere.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473