You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » Home Theater » On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300945 - 04/08/10 03:53 PM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Jc Offline

aficionado

Loc: Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Hi,

Some "W" (In/On Wall) photos were temporarely used for a few of the new "M" and "VP" On Wall models. Axiom will correct the situation shortly.

All the new "M" and "VP" On Wall models are truly on wall which do not require wall openings for installation.

#300958 - 04/08/10 04:50 PM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: Jc]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
 Originally Posted By: Jc

All the new "M" and "VP" On Wall models are truly on wall which do not require wall openings for installation.

Excellent! Thanks, JC! I might have a good use for a pair of those if I don't have to cut into my old horsehair plaster for installation!

#300960 - 04/08/10 04:55 PM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: MarkSJohnson]
EFalardeau Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Laval, Quebec, Canada
Oops! Sorry Murph, it was Mark that was doing the "hallucinating", not you!

#301025 - 04/09/10 12:19 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: EFalardeau]
jb1677 Offline
regular

Wow, lots of repsonses to the thread but not a lot of comparisons between the 3 "non standard" lines. I can accept the fact that the stand alone bookshelf is better than the three on/in/onin combo speakers but I am still lost on deciding between the 3 choices.

Is there any guidance on the sound differences between the "In Wall", "On Wall" and "In Wall/On Wall" speakers? I suppose I could order a pair of all three and try them out but the holes in the wall for the tests would surely anger the wife :-)

#301026 - 04/09/10 01:41 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: jb1677]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Loc: Los Angeles
wow...I'm glad I read this thread! I was just about to purchase the W22 and W150, but what's this I'm reading about "ON wall" speakers? I go away for a year or so, and Axiom's making new products without telling me???? Speaking of which, I haven't received a "owner's club" email in AGES.

#301033 - 04/09/10 04:04 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: spiffnme]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Yeah, Craig; now you have a choice of speakers entirely within the wall, about half in and half out, and entirely out but fitting flush up against the wall. Apparently the best sound would still be found in the traditional bookshelves.

There was an Owners Club email a few weeks ago, but they're very infrequent.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#301036 - 04/09/10 05:41 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: JohnK]
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm guessing that if putting a hole in your wall isn't an issue, the on/in hybrid would be the better sounding option?

I'll also see if keeping my current M60's mated with an in/on-wall VP150 may work (aesthetically).

Lot's of options, just want to be sure I pick the best one, as knocking holes in walls and then realizing that wasn't the best choice would suck. \:\)

If I get a chance I'll take a photo of the space as it is, and let you guys give me your ideas.

#301059 - 04/09/10 10:19 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: jb1677]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
 Originally Posted By: jb1677
Wow, lots of repsonses to the thread but not a lot of comparisons between the 3 "non standard" lines. I can accept the fact that the stand alone bookshelf is better than the three on/in/onin combo speakers but I am still lost on deciding between the 3 choices.

Is there any guidance on the sound differences between the "In Wall", "On Wall" and "In Wall/On Wall" speakers? I suppose I could order a pair of all three and try them out but the holes in the wall for the tests would surely anger the wife :-)

I asked Axiom that question and was told that they all sound very similar. You have different choices for differing aesthetic demands, not necessarily different sound characteristics. Plus, an in wall VP150 would be too wide to fit between wall studs so they do not make one. If you wanted to the look of in walls, you are limited the VP100.

#301066 - 04/09/10 11:09 AM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: michael_d]
Micah Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Indiana you hoser!!!!
With the differences being very minimal, my advice would be to get the pair you most covet. Once you have it installed it's highly unlikely you would ever miss anything any of the other options might have had over the pair you want. In other words, say you got a pair of in-walls and your neighbor got a pair of on-walls, if you went back and forth between houses you'd likely not be able to tell a difference between the two, everything else in the room being equal that is. Perhaps if you ordered two or all three versions, lined them all up and did some blind testing, then maybe, MAYBE you'd be able to pull out some tiny differences between them, but I don't think it would be so noticable that you'd say, "wow, I'm glad I didn't go with THOSE".

But of course I've never heard any of them, so that's all strickly theoretical guess work I'm spewing out here. What I'm likening it to is my 65 inch 60 hz LCD. Sure at the store when t was sitting right next to the 120 hz model I could tell a tiny bit of difference between the two models during very quick moving scenes, but now that I have it in my living room there's no way I'll ever notice anything's lacking. Because it's a great tv in its own right. Sure the 120 hz model may be ever so slightly better, but they're so close I don't think anyone could go wrong with either.

That's the way I assume the speakers you listed to be as well. Close enough that you can't really go wrong with any of them.

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD

#301095 - 04/09/10 01:16 PM Re: On Wall vs In Wall vs "In-Wall/On-Wall" [Re: EFalardeau]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
The regular links are working fine. Murph was hallucinating, I guess! \:\)

Links? I didn't mention no stinkin links!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,323 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,163 Topics
426,980 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437