Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Speaker sensitivities / calibration question
CV #301461 04/12/10 03:26 AM
shareholder in the making
No, it doesn't matter whether it's sensitivity, distance or something else, and how much each contributes to the difference; the only factor of significance is sound level at the listening position.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #301462 04/12/10 03:30 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
OP Offline
C
I'm going to accept this since my brain is too tired to continue. I have no doubt you're right, since it would be too big of an oversight for the entire industry if it wasn't right, but I still can't quite see how it doesn't matter how much each contributes if you're listening at volumes other than reference.

CV #301468 04/12/10 04:42 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: CV
So the receiver basically figures out the speaker's sensitivity by the trim coupled with the distance settings?

No, the receiver (or more accurately, the calibration process) determines the trim based on the speaker's sensitvity and distance.

Calibrating at one volume level wouldn't really show the receiver the speaker's sensitivity, since distance would be a factor in the volume, right? So does it, in fact, use both trim and distance figures to create a curve for the speaker's sensitivity, or am I still missing the boat?

Again, it's not trying to figure out sensitivity or create any type of sensitivity curve, it's trying to determine the trim setting based on distance and speaker sensitivity.

CV #301469 04/12/10 04:52 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Yes, and that's why I'm at a loss as to how it can accurately predict how much juice to send a speaker at any volume other than reference, if it doesn't know the speakers's sensitivity. Is it really a straight line in output, not a curve?

The amount of juice sent to a speaker is not predtermined or predicted in any fashion whatsoever. The amount of juice sent to a speaker is a result of the speaker's sensitivity and how loud it is being played.

#301470 04/12/10 04:57 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
To illustrate why changing volume doesn't affect the calibration, try and think of EQ'ing certain frequencies. When you tweak certain frequencies to suit your tastes, your changes all remain in tact when you move up/down in volume. Same applies to the calibration found in receivers.

#301471 04/12/10 04:59 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That still doesn't explain how the levels for the speakers stay consistent at all volume levels. It just tells me that they won't stay consistent because of differing sensitivities that won't be taken into account. This is making me feel seriously dumb. I'm sure it's easy for anyone who knows how electricity and speakers work.

CV #301472 04/12/10 05:05 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
It just tells me that they won't stay consistent because of differing sensitivities that won't be taken into account.

But the differing sensitvities HAVE been taken into account. That's why when you look at your speaker trim / channel level settings, one speaker may need a +8dB boost, one speaker may only need a +1dB boost, one speaker may have a -3dB cut, etc.

Last edited by htnut; 04/12/10 05:06 AM.
#301473 04/12/10 05:11 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes, at the calibration volume those are the appropriate corrections. But if the sensitivities are different, how do those corrections still apply perfectly? That's what I'm asking. Is this totally linear correction really working no matter if it's distance or sensitivity that's calling for those corrections to be made at reference volume? Because if it's not totally linear, then there's an increasing disparity the further you get from reference volume.

CV #301475 04/12/10 05:20 AM
Yes; sensitivity is a given number, as is distance. Neither can be changed by changes in sound level.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #301476 04/12/10 05:25 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I think the mist is clearing a bit. I apologize if I was sounding a bit flustered, because I was. It's frustrating when I can't wrap my head around something that should be simple. Thanks, guys.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters