connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hi guys, here's what I have (delivered tomorrow)-

1. Infinity Kappa 692.9I - Link
2. Infinity Kappa 682.9cf - Link
3. Polk Audio db521 - Link
4. Eclipse CD5030 - Link

Do you guys have any suggestions on an amp or amps to power the Infinity speakers? I'm having the deck installed tomorrow, and possibly the Polk audio speakers, as my deck should be able to power them for the time being.

I was going to get the Alpine PDX-4.100 - Link -but I don't think it would be powerful enough to drive the Infiniti speakers (they can handle much more power). Plus, I would ultimately like to have all six speakers running on an amp/amps.

Although it's not anything special as far as the setup goes, it's my first upgrade.

I'm also new to car audio, so all input is greatly appreciated. Am I missing anything?

Thank you very much,
Cam

Last edited by wheelz999; 04/14/10 11:03 PM.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Re: Car stereo advice needed please
Ya_basta #302000 04/15/10 02:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry, can't help.
I just want a deck and speakers that doesn't distort when people with mid to low voices talk on CBC. WTH is it with that station(s) anyways? I have never had a high end system in my vehicles but every single one of them has trouble with CBC broadcasts, both local & the feed, hopping from frequency to frequency as I drive distances and even via the Internet on my home system. Sometimes it makes me paranoid when I play CBC on my M60 system because I get paranoid that the distortion is damaging. Car systems seem the most sensitive to this effect.

Obviously the broadcasts mixing standards are to blame over my stereos but this was the opening for a rant I have long held in. Cranky old man with a hat rant, over.

Sorry Cam.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #302036 04/15/10 04:30 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Just because the speakers can handle more power does not mean you have to feed them that much, an automotive speaker works with the same principles as your home system. That amp looks to have the right amount of power any way, 100W RMS same as the requirement for the Infinity's you are looking at which are 100W RMS. You should be good to go with any speaker you want to pair up with that amp.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #302074 04/15/10 08:27 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks Jay, that clears things up for me. I was concerned about the peak output, but I doubt I'd get anywhere near it.

Murph, it's okay \:\)

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #302144 04/16/10 03:23 PM
J
J
I would bet the amp is capable of the same 300W peak output the speakers can handle.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #302884 04/22/10 08:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hope this is not too late, but JL is about all I would recommend for amps. I have a long Alpine history, but can't recommend them after my last two V-12 upgrades. i get the impression they are outsourcing the amps and get a new product every few years - some good, some bad.

Get the JL and you won't look back. Their new digital amps run cool and are very small - but $$$$$. The old models rock and are clean. $$$.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #302888 04/22/10 09:23 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Zimm, thanks for the insight but unfortunately it's too late. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the amp I purchased. Hopefully I won't have the problems you've had.

Murph #302933 04/23/10 03:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Sorry, can't help.
I just want a deck and speakers that doesn't distort when people with mid to low voices talk on CBC. WTH is it with that station(s) anyways? I have never had a high end system in my vehicles but every single one of them has trouble with CBC broadcasts, both local & the feed, hopping from frequency to frequency as I drive distances and even via the Internet on my home system. Sometimes it makes me paranoid when I play CBC on my M60 system because I get paranoid that the distortion is damaging. Car systems seem the most sensitive to this effect.

Obviously the broadcasts mixing standards are to blame over my stereos but this was the opening for a rant I have long held in. Cranky old man with a hat rant, over.

Sorry Cam.

OK, thats interesting. I do a lot of CBC listening as well. Are you saying that you only have issues with the CBC? I figured it was the speakers in the new car.

FWIW I have no troubles with this station on my M80s (chalk one up for the M80 club ;\) ).

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Ya_basta #303234 04/25/10 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Zimm, thanks for the insight but unfortunately it's too late. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the amp I purchased. Hopefully I won't have the problems you've had.

That's what happens when you show up late - you end up talking bad about someones girlfriend. \:o

Don't worry. I have owned many Alpine amps for a reason; they are the best all-around product provider out there. I was just really disappointed in the power of my last two (which I still use every day.) I have not tried any of their newer designs. Either way, the upgrade over factory will blow you away.
Enjoy.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
fredk #303502 04/27/10 06:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: fredk
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Sorry, can't help.

Sorry Cam.

OK, thats interesting. I do a lot of CBC listening as well. Are you saying that you only have issues with the CBC? I figured it was the speakers in the new car.

FWIW I have no troubles with this station on my M80s (chalk one up for the M80 club ;\) ).

Well, it seems like all cars, including rentals, all radios home and car. Perhaps it's an Atlantic Canada thing as that's where I normally travel around. Follows as I change frequencies as I change provinces. I don't use any bass enhancement at home and usually turn other peoples settings down in a rental.

Anyways, not a big deal. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044