Print Thread
Rate Thread
critique this configuration
#30224 01/09/04 12:51 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hello,

This will be my first serious entry into Home Theater, so excuse me for any newbie errors I might make with the following: I'm thinking of picking up a Denon 3803 receiver and for speakers I was thinking of picking up some M22ti's for the mains, a VP150 for the center channel, and some QS8s for the surrounds. At the moment, I live in an apartment-style condo, so I'm thinking of leaving the bass out for a future upgrade when I don't have to worry about bugging my neighbors. The room where I'll set all of this up is 12.75' x 15' and opens up into the dining room. There is wall to wall carpeting in both rooms. Probably not the best situation accoustically with the open wall and a window on either end of the 15' stretch, but I have room to move and tweak if needed.

This will be a dedicated HT since I already have a separate McIntosh stereo system that I inherited with some retro JBL Centuries. Anyway, does this sound like too much for the space, or should I be okay? Keep in mind that I'm trying to future prrof a bit for when I eventually move since the condo is only temporary living space.

Thank you,

David

Re: critique this configuration
#30225 01/09/04 01:23 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I think you should seriously consider a sub. Otherwise, you'll be missing out on a lot of the HT stuff.

Other than that, the config sounds great. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may end up using this more for music than you think...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#30226 01/09/04 01:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That sounds perfect.

Don't count out a subwoofer though. Crappy subwoofers sound like annoying 'boom', 'boom', 'boom', and your neighbors will hate you. A GOOD subwoofer will integrate seemlessly with your mains, and unless you're playing it rather loudly, your neighbors should not mind. I too live in a condo, and the only time my neighbor ever complained about my subwoofer was while I was playing a hack and slash video game that put out a big "THUD" everytime you hit somebody.

Other than that, you seem to have picked out a pretty good match for your room. The Denon 3803 is a well respected receiver, but I do know that the new Pioneer and Yamaha models have been getting a ton of buzz lately due to their auto calibrating feature.

#30227 01/09/04 03:30 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I have "McIntosh envy". Those blue lights just mesmerize me .

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#30228 01/09/04 03:49 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks everybody. I'll put more thought into matching a good sub with the setup sooner rather than later. I wasn't going to count it out totally, I was just being cautious. This is my first time in a condo, so I appreciate your shared experiences, spiffnme.

mwc, yeah those blue lights get to me too. I grew up with these components. My Dad bought them before I came on the scene in the late 60s and kept them in tip-top shape. It would be nice to get a multichannel McIntosh amp and one of the new A/V source units they have out to continue the family tradition, but that kind of high-end is way out of my league at the moment.

I am looking forward to comparing the new sound of the Axioms with the old sound of the JBL 100s. That should be a treat.

Thanks again!

- David

#30229 01/09/04 04:05 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

My Dad bought them

Did you say them? How many and of what ilk (amps-pre amp)?

#30230 01/09/04 02:59 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Ah, yes. Both compopnents are solid state, not tube, and he had a McIntosh AM/FM tuner that he sold some time ago (I forget the model number). The McIn components still in service are a c29 stereo preamplifier, a MC2205 stereo power amplifier, and a speaker extension module that I can use to add another zone (I'll have to check the model number when I return home today). A Thorens 125 mk.II turntable that he started to refurbish and I finished rounds up the last of the classic components. The newer (as in 90s era) separates include a Nakamichi AM/FM tuner, a Denon CD player, and a Nakamichi tape deck. Again, I can't remember the model numbers for these off-hand.

He also had a nice retro tandberg tape deck as part of his original setup (before he bought the Nakamichi stuff). It needs a bit of refurbishing before it can go back into use.

#30231 01/09/04 04:42 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Wow! Lots of stuff there to be proud of. I have several vintage Sansui pieces that I just love. Vintage audio is great fun.

#30232 01/09/04 08:44 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
The M60s I just purchased replaced Sansui floor standing speakers I purchased in 1969 or 70. They still work fine, but I wanted to upgrade to a modern speaker. The Sansui speakers will probably go into another room in the house.

Axiom M60's & QS-8 Surround HSU VTF-2 Sub NHT Center NHT Zeros Rear Surround Yammi 1400

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup