Print Thread
Rate Thread
Change speakers 1st or the AVR 1st?
#302555 04/20/10 06:08 AM
mpyw Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
I always wanted to change my surround speakers to the QS8 but I am really fedup with my Marantz SR6003 HDMI handshake problem that require me to on/off or switched to other input for a while and back to get the full HDMI signal be it for the video or audio....

Am using the Orb Audio'd mod1 as my surround now.....
and the Yamaha RX-V3900 is looking very good as it comes to it's product end life with very good street price ....

What do u guys say?

Re: Change speakers 1st or the AVR 1st?
mpyw #302557 04/20/10 07:10 AM
shareholder in the making
Michael, it depends how "fedup" you really are with the 6003 problem(which I'm not familiar with), but my general view is that I'd certainly rather have the excellent QS8s and put up with the inconvenience that you've described.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #302574 04/20/10 02:02 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Is your hand shaking issue to a cable box? Is so, replace your hdmi cable with a component cable. I hated the idea, and resisted it completely, but in my case, my cable box's highest output was 1080i anyway, so I didn't lose anything - except most of my hand shaking issues.

Try that, and maybe you'll be able to take the speaker upgrade route were I think you'll get more satisfaction.

axiomoholic #302596 04/20/10 05:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Usually you get the best deals on Receivers around the end of the year(here anyway) so you might want to keep that in mind as well. I'd go for the Q's now and when you have some more coin and you see a decent sale, consider a change in AVR's if the problem bothers you enough.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
axiomoholic #302598 04/20/10 05:53 PM
J
J
I agree, if the handshake issue is with a cable box only then the move to component makes sense. I had to hook up my sister's system in this manner, everything now works great.

You might possibly benefit from checking with Marantz on it's firmware, you might need to send the 6003 in for service and a firmware upgrade to the latest sversion they have for it, if theyu have made any changes. But judging by this bit of info I found on their web site, I think they are not in the habit of adjusting their firmware.

"Assuming everything in your system has been connected and assigned correctly, the first thing that can be tried is to factory reset the set top box. You may need assistance from the manufacturer of the set top box to do this if it is not outlined in the instruction manual. This would also require you to readjust any of the settings as necessary for your system requirements. If this does not clear the problem, then power down the display and the receiver. Reset the set top box once again and then power it off. Then turn the display on first, then the A/V receiver and then the set top box. The reason for this procedure is to force the set top box to reinitiate the HDMI 'handshake' protocol as in many cases it was connected to a display directly and memorized the display's handshake protocol which of course is different from a receiver's handshake protocol. This generally works for later vintage set top boxes.

If not, you may need a firmware upgrade to the box so it will 'handshake' with an HDMI repeating device (your receiver). To do this you will need to call the service provider and ask them to send the update to the box. This update is called a "repeater flag firmware update." This can usually can be done through the phone/cable/satellite feed while you are on the phone. If you are still unable to get your HDMI to operate properly, as an alternative, connecting directly to the receiver using component video cables, and a digital optical or coaxial cable, can provide you with similar video and audio quality. Many current model receivers video up convert component video to HDMI video so your existing HDMI connection to your display should not have to be changed. The receiver's instruction manual will tell you if this video up convert feature is available."

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #302636 04/21/10 12:28 AM
mpyw Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
The set top box problem?
Never think of that. But according to my satellite service provider, their set top box will only send out 576p picture if it is not connected using HDMI.
And I've already have this problem even before our HD set top box being install and the old set top box were connected using s-video during that time.
And worst, i've sold off my component cable since I ditch my DVD player (ouch!), and only have those audio cable with me (still have the Emotiva ultra series RCA cable), can I use those?

I've sent the SR6003 to update the firmware just 2 weeks back to solve the problem, however, even after update, it didn't help... \:\(

mpyw #302640 04/21/10 01:14 AM
"Component" cables are simply coaxial cables with RCA plugs on the ends, which is also what the Emotiva cables are.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #302872 04/22/10 08:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do what I did; get a 10 year old AVR without HDMI, run the HDMI directly to the projector and then buy the QS8 with the money from your old (but newer) AVR.

Seriously, power cycling would be a pain in the arse. I love the QS8. Best speaker value I know of, hands down. But the handshake is a problem. That would turn me off Marantz, and I really like that company.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044