rear vented speakers
#302643 04/21/10 01:30 AM
F
fwsiv Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
F
I'm putting the finishing touches on the "adult lounge" and I'm searching for front speakers to go into the bookcase/entertainment center. The speakers will be placed into a cabinet that is 21"w x 11"h x 12"d. Will rear vented speakers work in this location. Also, would it be OK to lay a larger speaker (taller than 11") on it's side in this space?

Re: rear vented speakers
fwsiv #302648 04/21/10 01:56 AM
shareholder in the making
Chip, welcome. A rear-ported speaker should be positioned so that the ports have some "breathing" room. The distance can't be given precisely, but it's been said that at least 2" should be adequate.

A vertical speaker shouldn't be placed horizontally if it can possibly be avoided. The horizontal dispersion would be significantly poorer if it was used in that orientation.

Whenever a speaker is placed in an enclosure, care should be taken that it isn't recessed into the enclosure. The front edge of the speaker should extend a fraction of an inch beyond the enclosure to minimize reflections and refractions.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #302675 04/21/10 02:06 PM
F
fwsiv Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
F
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Chip, welcome. A rear-ported speaker should be positioned so that the ports have some "breathing" room. The distance can't be given precisely, but it's been said that at least 2" should be adequate.

A vertical speaker shouldn't be placed horizontally if it can possibly be avoided. The horizontal dispersion would be significantly poorer if it was used in that orientation.

Whenever a speaker is placed in an enclosure, care should be taken that it isn't recessed into the enclosure. The front edge of the speaker should extend a fraction of an inch beyond the enclosure to minimize reflections and refractions.

I have heard anything from don't place rear vented in an enclosed space like this, to the speaker needs 6" of clearance. Makes it difficult to decide, unless I could borrow the speakers and determined prior to purchase that they will work. What about side ported speakers- does the same apply here?

For the speaker height- this isn't as much of an issue as there are plenty of speakers that are under 11" tall, but again I have been told that this isn't optimal and should be avoided as you have stated.
thanks for the input

Last edited by fwsiv; 04/21/10 02:08 PM.
fwsiv #302676 04/21/10 02:18 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
If I were you, I'd look for a front vented, or sealed cabinet design. You'll likely already be dealing with a speaker whos designers expected it to not be flush mounted into cabinetry, so you might as well not add to the potential compromise with crowding a rear port.

axiomoholic #302681 04/21/10 03:27 PM
F
fwsiv Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
F
 Originally Posted By: axiomoholic
If I were you, I'd look for a front vented, or sealed cabinet design. You'll likely already be dealing with a speaker whos designers expected it to not be flush mounted into cabinetry, so you might as well not add to the potential compromise with crowding a rear port.

I have been searching for front vented or sealed speakers, and these are not that easy to find in a good quality, smaller size (11")
I think I need to fire the guy that designed and built the entertainment center ;\)

fwsiv #302687 04/21/10 04:05 PM
Can you seal off the front of those alcoves and just flush mount in/on wall M22s?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #302699 04/21/10 04:41 PM
F
fwsiv Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
F
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Can you seal off the front of those alcoves and just flush mount in/on wall M22s?

That's not really an option, but good thought

fwsiv #302701 04/21/10 04:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
As long as you make sure that the front baffles of the speakers are "proud" of the shelves, etc, you shouldn't have any trouble with ported speakers there. You ARE going to get some potentially detrimental effects from having them in a "cabinet", but if that's your playing field, well, play it.

I was told by someone who I consider credible that the minimum rear clearance for a ported speaker is only about 1.5 times the port diameter.

You could also consider using VP100's in that space. They are sealed and oriented horizontally. No reason you couldn't use "center" speakers as mains if that is your "best" solution. It doesn't sound like you have room to stand a M22 in there anyway.

I'd post a couple pictures and call Axiom.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #302706 04/21/10 05:32 PM
F
fwsiv Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
F
Will any speaker in the cabinet be effected regardless if it's ported or not? You are correct with this is what I'm playing with, and I'm ready to play.

I like the 1.5 times method, this give me something to use- but I think I'll still look for either front ported or sealed.

I like the idea of using the VP100 for left and right front- would there be any loss to SQ by doing this?

How can I attach a picture? I have some, but they are not on the web.

What about the orientation of center and fronts- should they be at the same level, or can the center be under them- eg. under TV?

fwsiv #302707 04/21/10 05:42 PM
J
J
Any speaker in a cabinet wil be affected, sealed versions like the VP series are affected minimally especially when the leading edge of the speaker is protruding out slightly from the face of the cabinet as has been mentioned previously.

The VP100 is a nice speaker, it sounds very similar to the M22 just wiht a little less bass tone. I think for your application they would be a grreat choice.

Yes the center can be lower or higher than the mains, this is how many people run their systems and for the most part it sounds and works great.

To attach pictures you have to have the pictures hosted on a site like photobucket or similar. Once they are hosted you simply link the pictures to your post via the [img] your picture link[/img] tag.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics