Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Denon Receiver problem - now what?
Wid #303121 04/24/10 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Wid,

FYI, even if an older stereo receiver does not have "amp-in" connections, you can use any analog line input except "Phono" as an "amp-in" connection.

Line-level inputs and pre-amp outs are standardized to accept, or output, respectively, at 1 or 2 volts. Pre-outs of course will output more depending on the setting of the other receiver's volume control.

The reason you can't use a Phono input is because it contains not only an extra gain stage for the tiny 5-millivolt output of a moving-magnet cartridge, but an RIAA equalization circuit (or two extra gain stages for a moving-coil cartridge, whose output is in microvolts).

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
chapin99 #303122 04/24/10 05:12 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Following up - alrighty! I found a great deal at an authorized online Denon dealer and pulled the trigger on the 4310. I was also able to purchase an extra two years of warranty coverage for 40% off their usual price, so will at least have peace of mind for the next four year! I still can't get the Denon support person to respond to my last two questions, but don't really care since I happened upon the same person's name responding to an inquirer that the Denon would NOT drive 4 ohm speakers. Probably just some technical liability thing or something since so many here have enjoyed Denon's running Axioms. I'll probably send the unit in to an authorized repair place this summer, but may not want to sell it. I could put it in the living room or keep it in case I have to send the 4310 in. The 3808 does strike me as a unique offering among receivers and I am still glad to have used it for a few years until this final blow. I still have one nagging question for Alan or someone knowledgeable:

Could my speaker have been damaged from this episode? When I briefly swapped it with the left channel, sound was emitted, but I didn't listen but a second to confirm that - didn't think to see if there were any qualitative changes. I also do not understand how my touching the surround of a speaker could cause the short/protection circuit activation situation. Do I need to worry about the Axiom while I await the new receiver? Thanks if you can help me close the door on this chapter! I'm sure I'll have some SNAFU's when installing the 4310, so would like to at least resolve this in my head before approaching the next thing. Thanks again to everyone.
Laura

alan #303123 04/24/10 05:12 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Thanks Alan, did not know that.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

alan #303124 04/24/10 05:16 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi Wid,

FYI, even if an older stereo receiver does not have "amp-in" connections, you can use any analog line input except "Phono" as an "amp-in" connection.

Line-level inputs and pre-amp outs are standardized to accept, or output, respectively, at 1 or 2 volts. Pre-outs of course will output more depending on the setting of the other receiver's volume control.

The reason you can't use a Phono input is because it contains not only an extra gain stage for the tiny 5-millivolt output of a moving-magnet cartridge, but an RIAA equalization circuit (or two extra gain stages for a moving-coil cartridge, whose output is in microvolts).

Cheers,
Alan

So, could any receiver be able to have an external amp added to it by using any line level input?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #303126 04/24/10 05:19 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Nope, other way around.

Any pre-amp could use a receiver as an amp by using a line level input on the receiver.

Although presumably, if the receiver had a line-level output (like a tape loop or something) you could add an external amp to that. The volume wouldn't adjust or anything like that, but hey...

Last edited by kcarlile; 04/24/10 05:19 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #303128 04/24/10 05:58 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

OK, I had that ass backwards.

Rick

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters