Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Denon Receiver problem - now what?
#302906 04/23/10 12:12 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi, all. I have a 7.1 channel axiom system with M80s for fronts, QS8s side, M22i rears, EP600 sub and center channel. Well, for 2 years, I've driven the system with a Denon 3808ci receiver that should have worked well with the ohms of these speakers. A year ago, an hdmi input went bad with a lightning strike that went in through satellite cable, but got into denon. All else seemed fine, so I just bought a microprice splitter thing. Now the worst has happened. While watching tv two nights ago I noticed a hum/hiss coming from right front channel M80. I took the speaker cover off to listen closer and I touched the outside of one of the individual woofers. When I did this, it activated the protection circuit in denon and cut it off. I cut it back on to find no sound at all from this channel and then swapped left and right channels to confirm the speaker wasn't the problem. I reset the microprocessor (losing all audyssey settings and such - ugh!) and still have no sound from that channel and no test tone sound coming through it either. Denon says it has to go in for repair, but I don't have a local authorized repair place in South Carolina. I have loved the Denon sound as I am very into analog 2-channel as well as multi-channel hi-rez music. So, I'm thinking I'll have to just suck it up and purchase a new receiver. Could I have some opinions about what receivers are good musically that can drive these wonderful axioms without fail? I do need 4 or more HDMI inputs. I use two Directv receivers, Oppo dvd player, Samsung BD player, Rega tt (have phono preamp, so don't need that in a receiver), Wadia ipod thing and Cambridge Audia DACmagic. I have a Samsung DLP tv and two 300 or so cd changers. Sorry for all the wordiness, but wanted to give you enough info. to help. Should I stick with Denon, or change? I heard the Onkyo's run hot and I already use little fans on top of the denon and one hd directv receiver. I've read a tiny bit about some Pioneers and prior to this denon I used Yamaha receivers, but the denon sounded better than they did (last one being rx-v2500) right out of the box on music. I don't want to wait for weeks to have the denon fixed and my homeowners deductible is too high to use for this, so feel I should re-purchase. If you think this is unwise, I'd love your opinions about that as well. I think a receiver retailing for up to $2000 is what I'm looking for (and hoping to find a deal from an authorized dealer for less, of course). Thanks for reading this and helping advise. Main thing is it needs to work well with the axiom setup I have. Thanks.

Re: Denon Receiver problem - now what?
chapin99 #302907 04/23/10 12:18 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I wonder if an external amp would work and bring your front channel back?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #302908 04/23/10 12:25 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I had not even thought of that. Would it work? If so, I'd love to try the Khartago by Odyssey I've read so much about. Wow - that could be interesting, except I'm also worried that perhaps more stuff got a little damaged when I had the first hdmi problem that seemed to be okay. Just not sure if these things are related, but I guess if all else held up for another couple of years, I could replace the receiver then if necessary. Thanks so much for thinking outside the box. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Thanks for helping!

chapin99 #302909 04/23/10 12:28 AM
shareholder in the making
Well, if it's the pre-amp portion of the receiver that's damaged rather than the amp portion, then it wouldn't work. But you'd still have a spiffy amp to go with the new 4 figure receiver you're going to buy! ;\)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
chapin99 #302910 04/23/10 12:29 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Do you think this would work even though when using the setup, no test tone is emitted? Would a 2 channel amp bypass the problem in the denon? The front panel on the denon continues to display that it is outputting all the channels (don't know if that's here nor there, but thought I'd add that I noticed that). Thanks for helping me ponder and process.

chapin99 #302912 04/23/10 12:34 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi kcarlile. Do you know if there is any way to tell which is damaged (in a simple easy way, of course)? Would be an expensive risk if I can't quite find out. But you can probably tell, had this not happened, my big purchase this spring was going to be that very amp. Sure hate it when trouble comes! Do y'all think my denon problem is the exception given its problems? I wouldn't mind maybe even trying to find the same unit again used or even step up to the wireless one above it in the line if discounted somewhere. It was difficult to initially set up, but as I said, I really like the sound. Okay - again my thanks.

chapin99 #302914 04/23/10 12:55 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Buy an amp with a 30 day refund policy.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

chapin99 #302915 04/23/10 01:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Unfortunately, a lightning strike would likely have damaged any other receiver as well, so you shouldn't exclude another Denon purchase imo. Did you get any quotes on a possible repair?

Also, that's a good idea of Rick's, if it didn't damage the pre-amps.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #302916 04/23/10 01:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Seems to me like you could probably take it to darn near any electronics shop and through testing they could tell you if the problem was either an amp or a pre-amp, I wouldn't think you'd need to go through Denon for that.

Rick
Our Room

smile
chapin99 #302936 04/23/10 04:09 AM
Laura, if another receiver was necessary, a Denon or Onkyo similar to your 3808 could be suggested. However, as Rick commented, it seems premature to be considering this. Taking the 3808 to a local repair facility would seem to be the logical move.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082