Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
More Denon 3808 saga - thoughts?
#303430 04/27/10 12:24 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi, everyone.
Well, please refer to my last thread about front channel going out on Denon 3808 for context (if you have time and inclination). Now I have a new chapter to report. It has been about a week since the channel cut out and no test tone would play through the right front channel. The receiver has been used every day. This morning, all of a sudden, sound popped back into the channel!! My room is on a cement slab, so no motion or movement cajoled any wires or anything like that. I had turned the sub off since it was too boomy after losing my audyssey settings when re-setting the receiver, but other than that no changes whatsoever. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have already ordered the 4310. My question - is this a sign of what is probably more intermittent failure coming? Or - do you think it just miraculously fixed itself? I checked several times and there was no firmware update needed. I do run a small fan on top of the unit, so it never gets that hot. And, when the channel popped into focus this morning, the unit had been on about an hour and I drove it for hours this weekend, so don't think it was related to temperature or anything. Any ideas on this strange behavior and should I cancel my order for the 4310 if it isn't too late? Even the Denon support said I'd have to send it in since there was no test tone playing through it (though the whole time, my icons on the receiver suggested it was playing through all channels even though I know the right front was getting no output until this morning). Thanks for any thoughts - very strange and perplexing.
Laura

Re: More Denon 3808 saga - thoughts?
chapin99 #303432 04/27/10 12:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Things that "fix themselves" are a typical sign of a electronic relay that was jammed into an incorrect position. It can mean more trouble ahead or it could be one time thing depending on the nature of the problem (firmware glitch or defective relay).

See Mojo's signature
chapin99 #303433 04/27/10 12:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Laura,
Personally I would go ahead with another receiver. A problem like that could be intermittent and I would hate to think what damage a channel suddenly turning off or on could do to your speaker(s). That's just my opinion though based on zero scientific grounding. Good luck.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #303439 04/27/10 01:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My previous receiver would intermittently loose the surround channels. They'd stick around after the unit was warmed up, but before that, I'd usually put on the test tones, and smack the thing on the side until I heard the relays click. It had good days and bad days, but the best day was when I replaced it.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
chapin99 #303445 04/27/10 02:43 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
 Originally Posted By: chapin99
Hi, everyone.
Well, please refer to my last thread about front channel going out on Denon 3808 for context (if you have time and inclination). Now I have a new chapter to report. It has been about a week since the channel cut out and no test tone would play through the right front channel. The receiver has been used every day. This morning, all of a sudden, sound popped back into the channel!! My room is on a cement slab, so no motion or movement cajoled any wires or anything like that. I had turned the sub off since it was too boomy after losing my audyssey settings when re-setting the receiver, but other than that no changes whatsoever. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have already ordered the 4310. My question - is this a sign of what is probably more intermittent failure coming? Or - do you think it just miraculously fixed itself? I checked several times and there was no firmware update needed. I do run a small fan on top of the unit, so it never gets that hot. And, when the channel popped into focus this morning, the unit had been on about an hour and I drove it for hours this weekend, so don't think it was related to temperature or anything. Any ideas on this strange behavior and should I cancel my order for the 4310 if it isn't too late? Even the Denon support said I'd have to send it in since there was no test tone playing through it (though the whole time, my icons on the receiver suggested it was playing through all channels even though I know the right front was getting no output until this morning). Thanks for any thoughts - very strange and perplexing.
Laura

As has been suggested it could be a relay or any number of things that can happen with electronics. My last experience with a channel cutting in and out then finally "staying" out was with an older Yamaha receiver which required replacing the DAC for that channel. ($220.00 later)!

casey01 #303452 04/27/10 03:09 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
One more for keeping that 4310 coming, your past situation will come and go as it pleases, sticking relays, weakened/cracked solder joints can be a pain.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
casey01 #303458 04/27/10 03:19 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
It’s been my experience that broke things simply do not fix themselves. This is regardless of the device; whether it is a brake caliper, a computer monitor or an electronic device. If your 3808 was giving you fits from a malfunction (and not user error), and it suddenly decided to work correctly, it is only a matter of time before it fails again, but the next time it might just take a neighboring device with it.

Unfortunately for you, it is also my experience that unless the device is in a failed state when the technician works on it, or if it does not log error codes, you will be told that they could not find anything wrong with the device. New auto warranty work is the worst.

michael_d #303464 04/27/10 03:32 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Agreed. Either be procative and replace the receiver now or just keep using your 3808 until the problem resurfaces or until the problem becomes too annoying/frustrating to live with.

#303477 04/27/10 04:28 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks everyone! I think you have given me sound advice (to go ahead with the 4310). It is surely abnormal behavior and just the thought of going through all this again the next time (which could be this afternoon) the channel cuts out is too much. Since it is no longer under warranty (and I figure my luck is just like Michael D says where it won't be broken when they look into it) I plan to take it this summer to a local repair place who maybe will keep it long enough to find the problem and repair it and then sell it. I certainly wouldn't sell it like this, but to later recoup a bit of the money I've spent replacing it will be good. I think I have one of the earlier production models, but haven't had a problem until now. Sure hope the install and setting up of the 4310 will be easier since I now have some Denon experience! What a challenge this one was when I got it! If you happen to know any shortcuts like what to set up sub at or whatnot, please advise since I want this to go as easy as possible and I do recall some strange stuff with Audssey setting the sub at a weird distance (which I believe you just ignore if I recall correctly). If any of you have the 4310 and have suggestions - you know I am all ears!! Thanks.
Laura

chapin99 #303479 04/27/10 04:32 PM
Oh, your luck is still better than Michael_Ds. If HE owned it, it would be on fire by now.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup