Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where to buy Attache Case
#303378 04/26/10 09:55 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Anyone know a good place to buy an attache/briefcase? it'll be used mostly just for business papers and such, prefer something with quality and budget combined. Don't mind the denier material type but would prefer leather if it's not too expensive.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Re: Where to buy Attache Case
Adrian #303379 04/26/10 10:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Start w/ ebags.com. Good prices/selection to get you started.

Depends on the 'look' you're going for. If you want eco/hipster vibe, lots of messenger bags to choose from: Timbuktu, Crumpler, Chrome, Rickshaw, Manhattan Portage, etc. I've used a Coach leather (ages well, looks great, but heavy), Chrome messenger, and Timbuktu computer bag (now). My migration was due mainly to the fact that I ride my bike to work sometimes and I need something durable, protective, and loud for my ride.

You don't have to spend a lot for leather either. I always dig the aged leather ones.

Here's a list:
http://www.messengers.org/resources/bags.html

oldskoolboarder #303388 04/26/10 11:51 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks, osb! I almost forgot about Bentleys, they usually have a reasonable selection of briefcases, luggage ect.

Adrian #303405 04/27/10 03:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't remember the model name, but I have one of the fancy narrow metal Samsonite attache cases free to good home. I picked it up ~30 years ago before good laptop cases were easy to find because it was the only case on the market with a sufficiently large "open" section for laptop + power supply etc..

It has one corner dent but otherwise in good condition.

"Eww, are you kidding ?" is a perfectly acceptable response ;\)

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #303418 04/27/10 06:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Also try Duluth Trading. I have their leather AWOL bags for weekends and the leather wears great. A bit old school but I love it.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/sear...ocessor=content

bridgman #303422 04/27/10 09:21 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
free to good home.

John, I'll take it!

No, not really.

I just wanted to get it before Adrian did, but I don't really have any use for it....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #303435 04/27/10 01:17 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Haha! sent it to him anyway John, and charge him shipping.

...put a couple of bricks in it first!! \:D

Adrian #303446 04/27/10 02:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Adrian,

I don't personally know any retired Attaches who might have a leftover used attache case lying around from their career as a diplomat. One with the chain to the wrist might be a good conversation starter.

Kidding. . ..

Cheers,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #303482 04/27/10 04:52 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Lol, Alan. I just picked up a ring binder from Staples which'll suit my purpose but I saw one of those metallic looking briefcases with the dual combo locks on it and I was wondering if they sold a matching chain or 'cuffs to go with it!

Adrian #401120 02/16/14 10:23 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, the Librarian in me requires that I revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Plus, it was such a delight to see the adventures of my friend Adrian that I hoped to get an update from him.

I need a new briefcase in which to carry my 15" laptop both back and forth to work and also for occasional air travel (3-4 times a year).

Now, I'll freely admit that a large portion of my criteria are subjectively based. "How it looks" is important. I'm not really into the pure "messenger" look; while my job isn't high profile, and I do deeply value high-level functionality, I'm not going to be riding my bike anywhere, and I prefer to have some easier access to outside pockets without opening up the whole bag.

Budget is always an issue, and I always feel better when I consult you guys before spending any money. I'm trying to stay near $200.

If you have any first hand experience with something like this, I'd be very grateful for your feedback.

Wants:
- Quality. Something that you rely on regularly should bring you joy. No, I won't define it further.
- North American manufacture
- A little bit bigger than JUST a laptop. Want ~5+ inches of depth to accommodate other crap.
- Outside pockets accessible without too much fuss
- Shoulder Strap
- Not hideous looking

Thanks to oldschoolboarder, I looked into Crumpler, Tumbuk2 and Chrome. For various reasons (mostly aesthetic and/or financial) I just wasn't really moved.

Saddleback has some really beautiful products made in the USA that do not seem to be in my price range, even used on Ebay.

This left me with three overall styles (which feel like AKC groups) - Sporting (canvas/leather - good combination, but pretty informal), Tactical (Nylon, light, very smart, ugly, inexpensive), and Leather (heavy, stupid, gorgeous, expensive).

Sporting

I looked at Orvis $99-450 - The inexpensive ones are imported and the leather ones are too expensive. Not much information available on the lower models.

LL Bean Sportsman's Deluxe Briefcase $99 - hard to find independent reviews (except on their site). Imported. I feel like I need to touch it to determine my quality measure. The plastic buckles are ugly. The configuration looks good, and I can live with the appearance.

Eddie Bauer Adventurer Field Bag $99 - See LL Bean above, but I'm less enthusiastic about the appearance. They also make a full-grain leather bag I can't afford.

Duluth Pack Executive Portfolio $265 - the Made in USA, guaranteed for life version of the above style. Expensive.

Filson Original Briefcase $248 - might be too small. Expensive. So, I probably would want the even more expensive Briefcase Computer Bag $300. Has anybody ever been sorry they bought Filson?

Tactical

Korchmar Lincoln $180 - might be too small. Could use a little more information. They have other, more expensive leather bags that are lovely.

Tom Bihn Empire Builder $220 - Great shoulder strap. Really smart. Really ugly.

Red Oxx CPA $155 - Excellent shoulder strap. Really smart. Still pretty ugly.

Skooba Satchel V.3 $99 - Very good shoulder strap. Really Smart. Imported. Still fairly ugly.

Leather (that I might be able to afford)

Various models from Amerileather, McKlein, Ebags and Kenneth Cole at Ebags $80-150 - Most likely imported. I'm just really suspicious of the build quality of these bags. Does anybody have experience with this iteration of "Columbian" Leather? I know I'm not risking "much" to order some of these, but the prices seem too good to be true, and I just can't believe "full grain leather" for those prices.

Rustic Leather Briefcase $329 - A little too much money, not very high tech, and kind of heavy. But top grain leather handcrafted in the USA. Look at it!

Copper River Bag Buckhorn Sierra $175 - See Rustic Leather, but more affordable. I could use a little more information on this model. Not sure if it's big enough. They have other models with snap closures, which seems just bizarre.

I'm eager for your opinions and experiences.

Hoping this compilation might help other folks in their journeys.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020