Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 114 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 113 114
Re: Got Wood?
bridgman #303397 04/27/10 12:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
I had no idea such a thing as a taper jig existed, let alone was available from LV.

This is going to be harder than I thought. Your homework for the next week is to spend two hours per night on the lv sight randomly clicking links. How the heck are you going to covet that which you do not know exists??

Originally Posted By: bridgman
re: the taper jig, if you extend the saw cut to the other end of the wood it seems to touch the little bracket thing that pushes the wood along with the jig. Are those brackets supposed to be sacrificial, or is there a good reason the photographer stopped in mid-cut ?

I don't think its meant to be replaceable, otherwise they would list the cost of replacements. Unfortunately I havn't gotten past the coveting stage on this little jem because there is no [practical] place in my apartment to set up my table saw.

I keep thinking that the housing stupidity in this country will come to an end so I can remidy that situation, but it seems I vastly underestimate its 'strength'.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
pmbuko #303407 04/27/10 03:37 AM
shareholder in the making
Since Sean bugged me about it, I just uploaded some pics of the bathroom project. The sink isn't installed yet, but I set it in place for the photos. The hole you can see in the floor behind the pedestal in the first two pics is now covered with a white register. The last pic shows the pink tile, though it looks more like tan in the pic.

You can't really see it in the pics, but the floor has a sandy texture to it and looks kind of like this:

Besides the sink, I still need to pick out towel rods and a tp holder, find a white cabinet to mount over the toilet, and mount a white shelf over the sink.

pmbuko #303420 04/27/10 09:16 AM
J
J
My latest creation, a simple laminate center that resembles a granite inlay with a Maple surround thaat is stained choclate in color. I was very surprised at how well it matched the color of the chairs:

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #303421 04/27/10 09:20 AM
OP Offline
Nice job to both of you!

Peter, your tile looks less pink than mine, unless that's just the photo.

Jay, very nice! The color combo works well!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #303434 04/27/10 12:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice work you guys!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #303453 04/27/10 03:12 PM
OP Offline
I guess if you list your email address on your profile on some woodworking forums, you might occasionally get an email like I did:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Manager

How are you!

I am frack wang,sales manager of Xuzhou Baoqi Wood Product Co.,LTD from china.We are specializing in manufacturing and
exporting plywood products. I am glad to know that you are dealing in plywood products,so I send this email with the hope
of doing business with you.

Here are our product catalogue as below:

construction plywood: filmfaced plywood black film and brown film 1220*2440/1250*2500

commerical plywood: Okoume plywood,Bingangor plywood,pencil cendar etc

fancy plywood: Teak,walnut,Red oak, Maple,Cherry etc

Other species: MDF,Hardboard, blockboard etc

The specification could be upon your request.

I hope you could be interested in the above.It will be appreciated if you could give me a
chance to service for you.Thanks.

Best Regards
http://www.baoqiplywood.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MarkSJohnson #303455 04/27/10 03:14 PM
OP Offline
I think I'll reply to let him know that spiritual messenger cats don't have rectums. That should get him scratching his head for awhile.....

BobKay #303472 04/27/10 04:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: BobKay

Repeat after me: I want a table saw, I need a table saw. It's for my own safety and I'll work more precisley and efficiently.
Do it! Do it! Do it!

In my opinion, there are very few 'rough' projects that you can't do with a decent tablesaw, a drill, and a few basic hand tools (chisels included).

If you Google "how to table saw" and "Table Saw Jigs" you will find a ton of articles on how to do many things you thought you needed other tools for, but don't. Mitres, dadoes (without a $100 dollar dadoe set,) grooves, rabbets, squaring wood, box joints, tenons, basic jointing can even be done if you build a jig... and many other surprising things.

A lot of times, all you need is the appropriate jig that is often built from scrap wood and when you see it, you go "Doh! That's so simple. Why didn't I think of that?"

Eventually, you will want a miter saw for quicker cuts but a table saw will do. Then you start to want to do more 'finished' pieces and you will wish for a planer for perfect sized and smooth wood. Then a router to add some curves and even to add new ways to do things that you used to do on the table saw, like dadoes. A band saw makes curves and shapes fun, and a drill press eventually simplifies many things, but I got along without one pretty well until very recently.

It is a slippery slope of never ending upgrades for sure, but I agree with Bob. A good table saw is like your first good set of speakers. Start there and build up the rest as you can.

Note:
I feel safe is saying this, not because I have so many years of expertise, but because I recently have gone through the same build up process over the years to the point I'm finally satisfied that I have all the basic tools I need. In fact, I've come full circle because I now want a better table saw. LOL!!!

P.S.
Although I don't neeeeed to, I'm buying a much nicer sliding, compound miter saw from a buddy of mine. Actually it's more of a trade as his price was a bottle of scotch.

Last edited by Murph; 04/27/10 04:12 PM. Reason: PS

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #303473 04/27/10 04:08 PM
I want a garage. All y'all can shut up.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #303491 04/27/10 05:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Last year, a single outdoor parking space here went for 300k.
It's in an dark alley, but the pattern on the brick pavers is very, very nice.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Page 46 of 114 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 113 114

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters