Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
what modes do you prefer for tv, music and movies?
#30431 01/11/04 05:39 PM
Willy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I have an HK525 running my 5.1 set up, which isn't my first surround sound reciever, but is my first with digital, so I'm wondering what modes people prefer?

Currently, if avaliable I've been listening to everything in DTS NEO 6 (I use the cinema setting for tv & movies and the music setting for music). The only time I've switched to Dolby was the other day when a tv show had way too much sound coming out of the surrounds. I switched to Logic 7 and things sounded much better.

So, am I missing great things by not using the other modes? Am I using the wrong mode entirely? I know this is a personal taste thing, just wondering if I'm missing anything.

Re: what modes do you prefer for tv, music and movies?
#30432 01/11/04 05:52 PM
buff
buff
Personally, I just listen to "plain" ole DTS or DolbyDigital according to whatever the movie makers intended.

Every so often it is "fun" to listen to CD's in the disco or rock concert sound fields but, I personally consider sound fields just a gadget. In fact, I'd love to see receivers made without the simulated fields if it would knock the price down a tad.

#30433 01/11/04 07:39 PM
devotee
devotee
It sounds to me like you are not using a digital cable. You are only using analog cables for sound.

All recievers I have used do not allow the user to change surround modes when recieveing a digital signal.

Make sure you have either an optical or coaxial digital cable hooked into your reciever and your reciever input is set to digital.

#30434 01/12/04 02:26 PM
Willy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
> It sounds to me like you are not using a digital
> cable. You are only using analog cables for sound.

I do use a digial cable for the DVD/CD player. I also tried again before replying and I can certainly change modes when recieving a digital signal. Not everything can play in all modes, but usually I can pick from at least 2 different modes regardless of the source.

It think this is proper fuctionality, but just in case here's a general run down of how it seems to work for me:

Cable TV, straight coax connetion from wall - Modes available: Logic 7, DTS Neo6 Music, DTS Neo6 Cinema

DVD, optical connection - Modes available: Depends on the DVD, but usually Logic 7, DTS Neo6 Music, DTS Neo6 Cinema, are available.

CD, optical connection - Modes available: Depends on the CD, but usually Logic 7, DTS Neo6 Music, DTS Neo6 Cinema, are available.

This is from memory, so I might be somewhat off, but generally this is how my system works.

#30435 01/12/04 05:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have "digital" cable, but the cable box I received from Adelphia has no digital outputs. Go figure. The best I can do is hook the cable coaxial from the wall through my VCR, then use the R and L outputs from my VCR to my Rotel. Sucks. I need to stop by the Adelphia offices and see if there's another box with digital outputs.

#30436 01/12/04 05:30 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
It seems weird that you're not seeing DD, DD EX, DTS or DTS ES when using DVDs. Most recent ones at least have DD 5.1 soundtracks. One thing to check is the audio setup of your DVD player. On some you must set the out to Bitstream so the digital signal gets sent. Otherwise I think only PCM is sent which your HK would see and give you only the simulation modes (DPL, Logic 7, DTS Neo).

Not sure if CDs are the same. Mine's old and only has analog.

#30437 01/12/04 07:05 PM
Willy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
In reply to:

I have "digital" cable, but the cable box I received from Adelphia has no digital outputs.

I'm with Comcast, but mine is the same way.

In reply to:

It seems weird that you're not seeing DD, DD EX, DTS or DTS ES when using DVDs

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear -- I do see those modes when the DVD has them. That's what I meant by "Depends on the DVD".

Ahh, sorry. I just noticed that my orignal post says "Currently, if avaliable I've been listening to everything in DTS NEO 6" which is probably what has been causing some of the confusion. What I meant to say was if only simulation modes are available I usually use DTS NEO 6. If better options are available on a DVD I do use those.

So, back to my original question -- out of all these different modes what do you like best, for different types of media?

Last edited by Willy; 01/12/04 07:13 PM.
#30438 01/12/04 08:06 PM
buff
buff
Willy and Spiffnme,

Check with your cable company to get a box with the digital outs. Prior to getting my setup, I checked our box and it had the spaces and markings for both the optical and coax dig outs and and S-video connection but they were not there. Went down to the local office and exchanged it for basically the same box but with all the connections there at no charge. Think the stripped down box is what they give out as a default box because it is cheaper and most subscribers don't need all the connections.

#30439 01/12/04 08:12 PM
veteran
veteran
I've posted this before in another thread, but you guys should check with your cable companies from time to time. I am with Time Warner, and I know all are different, but TW has a few different boxes depending on your setup. They even supply the HD box if your TV is HD ready. (and at no extra charge over a regular box) Also, they update to newer boxes with time. I had the newest box just a year ago, and I just got a newer one today because I was having audio probs on one of the HD channels. The box was the prob. My point though is they are always updating thier equipment. They even had a decent pair of component video cables to give me this time! Worth a look into anyway.

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
#30440 01/12/04 08:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
On my lunch break I stopped by my Adelphia office. They have a box with s-video output, but no digital audio outputs. They said they'd have some new HDTV boxes in in a few weeks. If they're the Motorola 5100 or 6200, that may work for my standard digital cable as well. It has both S-Video out and optical audio outs. I'll check back with them in a few weeks. Sucks that they don't have anything with digital audio now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup