Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Gameroom speakers and running wires under tile?
#30442 01/11/04 05:49 PM
BigWill Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Will the thinset mortar stuff damage speaker wires? What precautions might be necessary?

Also need speakers for 14x14x8 room, no sub planned, space for towers beside TV unit limited. I'm concerned about the M22s lack of bass w/out sub, but the M3s specs say they don't actually go any lower. Just a perceived increased bass response? Would prefer to stick with Axiom in case I ever go 7.1 downstairs. Any ideas?

Re: Gameroom speakers and running wires under tile
#30443 01/11/04 06:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I suggest you use the audio grade mortar.
Otherwise i have no other useful suggestions.
{snickering}

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30444 01/11/04 09:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i dont see how it could, but it sounds like something you dont really wanna do to me anyway. if you do decide to go that route you should get some of the in wall cable with the outer jacket. and possibly cut a groove through the floor your laying the tile. to that the wire is flush with the floor.

#30445 01/11/04 10:53 PM
BigWill Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Haoleb, the subfloor is a post-tensioned concrete slab, so cutting a groove in the floor probably isn't an option. I was thinking that flat wire might not present too much of an elevation problem under tile, but the runs are probably 25-30' (necessitating rather fat wire).
I am primarily concerned with any causitic or acidic properties in the thinset possibly damaging the wire insulation. Does in-wall wiring have better insulation?
It will be only a 4-5' run under the tile behind the couch, the rest under carpet and in/on the rear wall.

#30446 01/11/04 11:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
in wall wiring , at least some of it that ive seen has not only the jacket around the individual wires as in all cables, but a second outer jacket which encases both the wires, this would add more protection, but also add more thickness.

when you lay the tile ( i dunno if youve ever done it before ) theres not alot of room under the tiles for something like a wire, you could run it through the grout line but that would most likely get ruined if you ever pulled on the cable or something.

#30447 01/12/04 07:34 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey Mark,

Sounds like a fun project!

I tile just enough to be dangerous. I often hang out at The John Bridge forums, a great internet place, sponsored by a good man who literally "wrote the books" on ceramic tile installation.

I posted your query here and got a few responses already.

You're not going to love the answers, which do not gravitate towards the "yeah, go ahead and do that" variety.

I usually use the "close enough" standard in home improvement projects, but I don't think you're going to get there unless you can run around the perimeter of your tile installation or cut a groove. You've got a lot of time and expense at stake here, both with the tile and the electronics. I don't have the scientific background to substantiate it, but my gut tells me that speaker wire is not engineered for long-term exposure to portland cement. Some people also put lime into their wall mud, and most thinset is sufficiently sticky that I'd bet those formulations include it as well.

If it was me, I'd find another way, even if it was some version of surface-mounted racetrack/conduit, and/or much longer runs.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters