Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Preferred A/V Receiver
#30483 01/13/04 07:03 PM
veteran
veteran
joxtrot, you were wondering why "For HT, with fronts set to large, sub out, it does send the low freq to the sub, so I wonder why not for 2 channel music"?

I think it's because for 2-channel music there is not dedicated LFE info. When you listen with mains set to large and sub set to out (or "SWFR," "sub-only"), then whether you're listening to 5.1 HT or stereo, 1) all bass info that is intended for the mains stays with the mains and 2) all bass info (or any info) intended for the LFE channel goes there. Since stereo recordings don't program any LFE (no effects, no special bass distinct from the mains, and nothing sent to rears or centers), nothing goes to the sub under this configuration. The sub will only come into play when mains are set to small, which engages the receiver's fixed crossover, OR of course when you are using a 5.1 setup, where anything under the crossover point goes from the mains, center, or surrounds to the sub PLUS anything programmed for the .1/LFE channel. I don't have a variable crossover receiver, but assume that the same applies (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And of course with any receiver or amp, stereo or AV, you can override this by routing your mains through your sub at the speaker connections -- a whole different animal.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#30484 01/13/04 08:23 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
I have a Denon 3803. If I set my m60's to small and set the crossover at its lowest setting of 40hz would the amount of bass that goes to the mains sound "full"

Would i still get that extra "oomph" in the sub as well as a full sound from the m60's?

I realize that this is a midrange spectrum, i was just wondering what the thoughts on that were

#30485 01/13/04 09:49 PM
R
RobR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
R
Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha HTR series of receivers. I just bought a Yamaha RX-v2400 at a local shop for $850 (they say the best they can do is 15% of the list to keep the mfgr happy..who knows).
I know someone who works at Best Buy, and can get a substantial discount..catch is they carry Yamaha but, but only the HTR series. Time is running out since the 2400 is home, but not out of the box yet.
Could someonne tell me what options would be lacking on the HTR series (htr 5590 or 5690 was one)? I am guessing YPAO would be out.

#30486 01/13/04 10:08 PM
veteran
veteran
I am not aware of all the technical details for this answer (if you do some Yamaha AND htr searches here and elsewhere you may find out) but the general consensus you'll get from experts on this and other hifi forums is stick to the Yamaha rxv2400 and don't look back. Apparently (trading in rumor here) the Yamaha HTR line, while perfectly fine for mass market standards, is not made to the same level of quality in terms of power handling, heat sinks, circuitry and features. I also believe the HTR series may lack the advanced bass management abilities that Yamaha put on the 2400 and 1400. You will want these, so it's worth the upgrade for them alone.

I would however try to get a better price on the 2400 - you're talking USD right, not CDN? New (ie, non-refurbished) 2400s can be purchased from etronics for about $690 + shipping:

There are still good reasons to buy it from a local dealer instead of online (better tech support, ability to return - which you might avail now, your own interest supporting local economy) ... also, personally I don't think it's fair to expect local dealers to give you the same exact price you can get online. But armed with the etronics price, you might go back and politely let the salesperson know you're going to return it unopened, but would purchase it with some kind of an attempt to match the going street price online. Then if they don't want to deal, return it and look into etronics or another e-tailer. You can find some good threads here about the best online sources, since you want to be sure to use an authorized dealer or someone who will back up the warranty.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#30487 01/13/04 11:21 PM
R
RobR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
R
I'm not sure whether I want to take a chance on line, my luck and all. You know Murphy's Law.
I think the stores are limited by how much they can drop a price and still keep the warranty, etc. Is anyone knowledgable on this?
I was told by the person at Best Buy the "HTR" are their own model numbers for The Yamaha series. I just was looking at the Yamaha site and Best But sites.
The Yamaha HTR-5590 from Best Buy has the same front, dimensions and weight as the YamahaRX-V1300 or V1400 (those are the only two that match out of nine RX-Vxxxx models on the Yamaha website). The power output of 100W x 6 is identical to the 1300. So 1300 is the closet match.
However the pics showing the backs are a little different.
Everything is the same except the RX-V1300 has an OUTPUT area which has outputs for:
Subwoofer, Mains Left and Right, Center, Rear Center, Rear(Surround) Left and Right.
You can't zoom in on the picture on the Best Buy site, but it looks like only one output as opposed to seven for the 1300. The only other noticeable difference is the RX-v1300 has a removable power cord..HTR doesn't.

Best Buy Yamaha Receiver
#30488 01/14/04 12:06 AM
R
RobR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
R
Back of Yamaha HTR-5590
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806249363&skuId=4783283&type=product
then click on pic

Back of the Yamaha RX-V1300
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/backpanels/RXV1300/bRXV1300.htm

Zoom in on RX-V1300 outputs
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/backpanels/RXV1300/bRXV1300-3.htm

Re: Best Buy Yamaha Receiver
#30489 01/14/04 12:10 AM
R
RobR Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
R
Can someone explain how to post a link, so that once you "pick it", you are taken to the site, picture, etc.
Does the "link" automatically show up in a different color.

I only know how to copy and paste the address.

#30490 01/14/04 12:28 AM
shareholder in the making
Rob, you've picked up the main difference between the HTR and RXV series; the RXV has pre-outs on the back which can send unamplified signals for all the channels to separate external amps. There's generally no particularly good reason to do so, however, so this should't be a determining factor in most cases. Your 2400 is an excellent very powerful receiver which also adds features such as YPAO(which in my view should be a determining factor)and variable crossover frequencies(previously fixed at 90Hz). The less expensive 1400 would probably serve you just about as well and fit your budget better.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#30491 01/14/04 12:28 AM
Have you read the FAQ?

#30492 01/14/04 03:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Robr, I found two threads on the HTR vs. RX-V question you might find interesting. Apparently they are quite similar, at least according to Yamaha, although frankly their corporate post on the topic is pretty vague and opaque:

Even if the HTR and RX-V series are close or identical beyond cosmetic features, I think you've seen one difference: The big-box retailers overcharge. The irony is you can negotiate a better deal going for the "higher end" Yamaha line by dealing one-on-one with an authorized dealer or doing the online thing, which many (many) of us have done with satisfaction.

Alan had good advice as well on those well-priced receivers. Having overpaid for the HTR receiver, you are (as someone else mentioned) in the enviable position of getting a windfall on the refund while purchasing a better receiver to boot.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082