Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BIC DV62 CLR-S or VP100/150 as center
#30517 01/12/04 06:33 AM
OP Offline
This is my first post in this forum. I am in a process of putting together a system that includes:
M60
Hsu VTF-3
BIC DV62 CLR-S as center

The Axiom, Hsu, and BIC are all top-rated in their own categories at audioreview.com.

I know you are partial to Axiom products (rightly so), but I also know you are open-minded, because of your obvious preference of the Hsu sub over Axiom sub. I am curious to find out if any one of you have any experience with the BIC ($99) as center. Yes its price is so low, it is so ridiculous and equally enticing. But, like I said, it is top-rated.

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: BIC DV62 CLR-S or VP100/150 as center
#30518 01/12/04 07:04 PM
veteran
veteran
I'm curious to know about BIC DV62 CLR-S as well - although regardless of its reviews, anecdotal or otherwise, most here will of course recommend that you go with a center that is the same brand as your mains for timbre-matching.

I read a pretty interesting account of the BIC center from a guy at the slottweak who described his love of the speaker (as a main and center) and his efforts to tweak them. He claims great things for the center as a main, for what it's worth ... but mind he was not comparing it to any hifi speakers of note, at least not as I recall (have to re-read his account). Still, like you I've been curious to know why some people who seem to have good taste have so many good things to say about a few of the very reasonably priced BIC speakers. The DV 62 and this center are actually the only two they seem to like, but BIC also makes an outdoor speaker that's inexpensive and perhaps worth a look.

Info and opinions on BIC are hard to come by in the hifi world, perhaps due to past perceptions. Awhile back I put up a forum post on Audioholics on this same general (BIC) topic AND NO ONE responded, despite 75+ views. So if anyone has a comment, please add it here or there.

Some of BIC's larger designs are dubious, with multiple passive woofers. And they do not publish feequency specs with a +/- 3Db disclaimer, making it impossible to compare them on that basis. Like many people, I also cannot audition them without ordering them, since there are no dealers in my immediate region. Yet these two very economical speakers (the 62si and DV62 CLR) do inspire some devoted listerns, and they don't seem to be the Better-Sound-Through-Research company's Koolaid-drinker variety.

Anyone have reality-based opinions on these?

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#30519 01/12/04 07:20 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I know that Hsu's new Ventriloquist system was a joint venture with BIC. BIC designed the center and satellites, I believe. When I heard the prototype last year, they were some of the best sounding "mini-speakers" I'd ever heard. 'Course, it helped to have a Hsu sub filling in the low end.

#30520 01/12/04 08:41 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the tip. It led me to this press release/interview on the Hsu/B.I.C. collaboration from last year's Computer Electronics Show:

This doesn't tell us much about the B.I.C. bookshelves, but it's interesting. Doesn't seem Hsu would partner with a chump.

Anecdotally (i.e., with no evidence whatsoever), the Ventriloquist system does not appear to have been a smashing success. It probably sounded too good for the HTIB set.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#30521 01/12/04 11:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Mozoneman,

Years ago, the horn-loaded BICs we tested at Sound&Vision magazine in Canada (I was the editor of that mag for many years) were pretty awful--very colored with peaky uneven frequency response--but no worse than many other horn-loaded speakers of that era from Klipsch and others.

That doesn't mean that the newer BICs are bad, although if they still use horn-loading, it usually means the speaker will not be accurate and smooth. They will play very loud of course, with very low distortion. Those are the two advantages of using horn-loaded drivers but you give up accuracy and smoothness.

(This is not a universal condemnation of horn designs. If careful parametric EQ is used in a bi-amped or tri-amped system, horn speakers can sound quite good. You are hearing huge horn speakers, equalized to correct their inherent flaws, every time you go to any big Dolby Digital/dts/Sony SDDS/THX commercial movie theater.)

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#30522 01/12/04 11:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Mozoneman,

Years ago, the horn-loaded BICs we tested at Sound&Vision magazine in Canada (I was the editor of that mag for many years) were pretty awful--very colored with peaky uneven frequency response--but no worse than many other horn-loaded speakers of that era from Klipsch and others.

That doesn't mean that the newer BICs are bad, although if they still use horn-loading, it usually means the speaker will not be accurate and smooth. They will play very loud of course, with very low distortion. Those are the two advantages of using horn-loaded drivers but you give up accuracy and smoothness.

(This is not a universal condemnation of horn designs. If careful parametric EQ is used in a bi-amped or tri-amped system, horn speakers can sound quite good. You are hearing huge horn speakers, equalized to correct their inherent flaws, every time you go to any big Dolby Digital/dts/Sony SDDS/THX commercial movie theater.)

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#30523 01/13/04 03:50 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't think they're horn-loaded anymore, based on the spartan info on their Website. But the paucity of detail on the BIC Web hardly inspires confidence.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
#30524 01/13/04 05:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting question. I had one of those BICs, Consumer Reports tested them and liked them, so I bought one from ubid.com. I also bought a Merak MC6H (made by Axiom) center channel - 2x6.5" drivers and a big center horn tweeter. The Merak blew me away - absolutely embarrassed the expensive Infinity CC3 I was using as my main center at the time. The Merak also blew away the BIC. I never heard the Axiom centers, I use a Merak MC6H in my office system (with 4 M22 like Michaura M55s) and a giant Klipsch KLF C7 in my main HT system (pair of M60 like Michaura M665s up front, QS8's on the side and M2s in the back. Love the horn center channel speakers. Someday, I'll probably try a VP150.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#30525 01/13/04 10:21 AM
OP Offline
Alan, Birdman, and SPDS,

Thanks for your opinion...
I went back and checked audioreview.com again. At the "Main Speaker" category, the Axiom M80 was top-rated (4.97/5.0) from 31 reviews, whereas at the "Center Speaker" category, the BIC DV62 was top-rated (4.87/5.0) by 70, yes it is 70, reviews. Yet the biggest surprise to me is the apparent lack of familiarity of the BIC DV62 from this forum.

What gives? audioreview.com was innundated by the BIC "cult" who overwhelmed the "Center Speaker" category, or was it because it was so cheap that most of the market avoided it?

I am very new in this field, and just want to know. Maybe i just order both the VP150 and the BIC. If the BIC loses, then I just sell it back on ebay and take a small loss. Still hard to believe how those 70 reviewers could be wrong?

#30526 01/13/04 01:10 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
You must take those reviews with a grain of salt. If you look at the reviews for Cerwin-Vega, they seem to have a cult following with many, many good reviews. But if you read between the lines you can tell that many of them are written by teens and/or folks who just aren't aware of whats available beyond Best Butt and Circuit Pity.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters