Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: denon 4310 - go for height or width in front or no
grunt #305104 05/06/10 01:24 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Great information! Dean - where should I place my M22s for width and should they be toed in? Should they be the same distance from the back wall as the M80s? Thanks - obviously I haven't opened the box to read the manual yet. Just trying to get it in my head. Now - how to explain to mom that I need to set up my receiver rather than visit on Mother's Day? Invite her to a movie when it is set up maybe. . . yeah - that might do it! Thanks again everyone!

chapin99 #305125 05/06/10 04:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: chapin99

Great information! Dean - where should I place my M22s for width and should they be toed in? Should they be the same distance from the back wall as the M80s?

According to Audyssey the best place for the wide speakers is 60 degrees to either side of the center of your screen. In my case that put them on the side walls which worked out perfectly. Some room/seating arrangements might allow for front wall placement at 60 degrees but that would have to be a fairly wide room. If you can’t set things up at the recommended angles (see the diagram in the link posted earlier) then the next best thing is to get close to those angles and experiment to see what sounds best to you.

There is no need for the wide speakers to be the same distance from the wall as the mains. More important is getting them placed far enough outside the mains that they provide an enveloping sound field. Like I mentioned in my case that actually put them on the side walls a good 5 feet closer to my seats than the M80s. I was worried this would cause the sound coming from the wides to be localizable to the speaker from the nearest seat but that hasn’t proven the case.

Yes the wide speakers should be toed in. I believe Audyssey recommends aiming them at the center of the listening position but I found that aiming spitting the difference (i.e. aiming each one about 1/3 of the way in from the outer edge of the seating worked best for me because it provided better coverage over all my seats and not just the center.

IMO all speaker positioning is a matter of trial an error since no two sets of setups/rooms/listening preferences are likely to be the same. I would use the diagram in the above link as a starting point and then make any adjustments you want to try from there.

Your going to read a Denon manual? Good luck with that. ;\)

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #305442 05/08/10 11:34 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Ha Ha! Yes I will "read" that Japonish and hope the pics are good! Maybe just skim it - I do recall Denon's language to be the most difficult I've ever encountered, so won't spend too much time on it. Thanks for the additional insight on setup. I look forward to experimenting!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup