Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Over Research Mode
#306890 05/17/10 04:57 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My wife and I are going to buy kayaks for our birthdays. I am open to:

* Comments on Kayaks (we are going for the recreational type)
* Comments on PFDs (life vests for the uninitiated)
* Ridicule.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Re: Over Research Mode
Argon #306899 05/17/10 05:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Can't help on the first two, but I hope that your birthdays fall very close together, or one of you will be watching, wistfully, from shore (my favorite place to experience all bodies of water).

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #306901 05/17/10 05:30 PM
D
buff
buff
D
What you want depends on how you will be using them.

Where will you be using the kayaks?
(Ocean, calm lakes, rivers, streams, ...)

How will you be using them?
(Just paddling around for a hour before sunset, half day trips checking out the wildlife along the shoreline, a day of fishing, multiday trips with 100 lbs of gear, ...)

Do you mind getting wet (sit on top), or do you insist on staying dry (sit inside)?

How important is kayak weight? Light materials cost more and need more care to avoid damage. Heavier materials allow you to beach the kayak just about anywhere, and store it anywhere, without worrying too much about the abuse you give it.

Will other people be using (or borrowing) them?

We got a couple of Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120's several years ago and they work great for the way my wife and I use them. We keep them up at the lake for general use during the summer but use them around the SF Bay area during the winter months.

-Dave

davew #306911 05/17/10 06:28 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think we have settled on calm lakes, calm rivers, salt marsh. Most likely day trips - definately checking out wildlife for me. The local outfitter does demo's every other week - we are pretty much sold on sit ins rather than ons. We have asked the outfitter to bring the following to the next demo:
Wilderness System Pungo 120
Native Watercraft Marvel 12
Perception - I think Carolina 12.
and one other that escapes me right now - might have been the Pamlico 120 - although the sales guy said it was the "lumberer" of the group

We actually demoed the Marvel on the 8th - it has an awesome seat.

We spent some time trying out the PFD's in the store but were interested in other's viewpoints.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
davew #306912 05/17/10 06:29 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Weight is a consideration - probably not letting others borrow.

Argon #306923 05/17/10 07:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Argon,

I bought a recreational single-place kayak last summer up in Ontario at a wilderness outlet not far from Axiom. It's an Old Town Vapor (made in Maine) and is quite maneuverable. It's the sit-in type and is a manageable weight--about 45 pounds--to carry alone or put on top of the car.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/

I taught canoeing in my youth and I found the transfer of paddling technique quite easy. It's much easier to paddle than being in a canoe alone, especially in a wind because it presents a much lower profile than a canoe. I was able to demo several different models in a nearby lake. One other brand was hard to control so I went for the Old Town, which tracks quite well. I use it on Georgian Bay among the islands (East side of Lake Huron) and it's fine in the mildly choppy water you encounter there.

I bought a lightweight Canadian brand lifevest meant for kayaking that gives you good freedom of movement. It seemed fairly pricey--$100--but it was so comfortable I went for it. I can't remember the brand--it's stored on my sailboat.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #306925 05/17/10 08:06 PM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi Argon,

I bought a recreational single-place kayak last summer up in Ontario at a wilderness outlet not far from Axiom. It's an Old Town Vapor (made in Maine) and is quite maneuverable. It's the sit-in type and is a manageable weight--about 45 pounds--to carry alone or put on top of the car.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/

I taught canoeing in my youth and I found the transfer of paddling technique quite easy. It's much easier to paddle than being in a canoe alone, especially in a wind because it presents a much lower profile than a canoe. I was able to demo several different models in a nearby lake. One other brand was hard to control so I went for the Old Town, which tracks quite well. I use it on Georgian Bay among the islands (East side of Lake Huron) and it's fine in the mildly choppy water you encounter there.

I bought a lightweight Canadian brand lifevest meant for kayaking that gives you good freedom of movement. It seemed fairly pricey--$100--but it was so comfortable I went for it. I can't remember the brand--it's stored on my sailboat.

Alan

I had figured at least $100 - the comfort part is more important to me than the price. THere is a place that will Demo Old Towns but it is 2 1/2 hours away compared to the local shop (which is a much larger volume dealer anyway).

Argon #306928 05/17/10 08:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mustang Survival Lifejacket, Alan? maybe Buoy O Boy. I had both when I had my sportfishing boat.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Argon #306929 05/17/10 08:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I agree. The comfort factor was most important to me for the lifevest.

When I got the kayak, the shop had about two or three other brands. I demo'd a total of three. I'm sure you'll be able to find a good kayak when you have a choice and are able to try out a couple of different models.

One other brand had a wonderfully comfortable seat but it was the one that didn't track straight in the water, which was really frustrating. The Old Town had a decent seat so I went for it because it performed better in the water.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Adrian #306930 05/17/10 08:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm familiar with both those brands. I have a Mustang survival coat, but the kayak lifevest was a brand I'd never heard of. I found the receipt and it looks like "Naya" or "Nava". It's a handwritten receipt so the printing is blurry.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup