Ex Axiom dealer
#307138 05/18/10 11:10 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
I was at a local audio shop (The Audio Shop in Ottawa) today, I purchased most of my current gear there many years ago so I decided to drop in and see what was going on. The sales guy was still there.. and still just as much the salesman.. funny, I did not really like him 10 years ago, and I still don't.. anyways, I was chating and I remember seeing some Axiom speakers (M22 I think ) in his shop, and he said that yes they use to carry Axiom before they went Internet only.. then he says, when the first M3 Ti speaker series was in his shop, they weighted 46 pounds, then as time progressed, the weighed less and less, the last version before they went Internet only was only 21 pounds. So, he says, Axiom made their name selling the good stuff in stores, then started to cut corners and "cheapen" the product to make more money once their name was made and eventually went Internet only to make more money.. but still make the "cheaper" version of the product.. basically, come out with a killer product, well made with top parts.. get all the reviews and accolades and sell it well in local shops, then continue making the same products by using cheaper parts..

Now.. I take what this guys says with a HUGE grain of Rock salt.. just wondering if you guys ever heard of this before..

I'm SUPER happy with my QS8s and satisfied with my EP-500. I just thought that was interesting..

Also, he tried to sell me a pair of B&W 804s speakers..they were on " sale " ($4K vs the usual price of $5K ) because there is a new model replacing it coming out.. I listenned, I was not impressed. The mids were strained and vocals seemed to be very narrow / stuffed ? the opposite of open and airy..Did not like them one bit.. My cousin's M80s sound better by a long shot over those 804s. Now, I also listened to the bigger 803D and they sounded pretty darn good..MUCH better than the 804s..but the 803D list for $10K !! completely out of my budget

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Re: Ex Axiom dealer
Riker #307141 05/18/10 11:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Its always amusing to hear a salesman slam what they used to carry so that they can sell you what they now carry.

I try to stay away from $10,000 speakers. I already have enough things to spend my $ on.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Riker #307143 05/18/10 11:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I may be wrong, but I can't see an M3 weighing as much as an M60 tower, according to the salesman's statement. Anyhow, I recall Tabangi Electronics telling me they once sold Axiom speakers years ago...I think you'll find a number of former retailers of Axiom speakers from several years ago, before they went internet. Afaik, Axiom used to make speakers for Radio Shack in Canada(Merak?) as well as Michaura speakers.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
fredk #307144 05/18/10 11:25 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I was at a shop a few years ago chatting with the sales person. I mentioned I had Rotel equipment, he went on telling me how bad it was and how Adcom was so much better.

Last year I went back to the same shop with the same sales person. Now that they carry Rotel stuff it's the best thing since sliced bread.

They're all full of shit.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #307146 05/18/10 11:38 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I could not have said anything better myself Rick, you hit the nail on the head as usual. \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #307151 05/19/10 12:30 AM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Like I said, I never liked the guy.. I liked the gear he was selling, but he pressured me in buying the Veritas 2.3s using the old " it's my last pair and there is someone waiting at the door to buy them so you have to tell me right now" thing.. ya I know, everyone of you here would have walked away..but this was first time I was in a position to purchase speakers above a few hundred dollars and this was a pair of $2800 speakers for $2000.. so I bit down on his hook and that was the end of that. I knew from my very first audition that there was a bump in the mids and a lack of bass that I did not really like.. he assured me that they would sound different after a few hundred hours.. not to worry, that would go away after break in.. well let me tell you, he's full of shit.. that exact same bump in the low mids (120hz to be exact) and the lack of bass is still here after close to 10 years of listening..I'm sure I have more than 200 hours by now :-) .. So now I'm looking to sell them and take my sweet time auditionning multiple speakers as a replacement. This time, no one will pressure me in anything, I will make my decision based on what my ears tell me, not the sales pitch. The M80s are on my short list, as you have heard me say before, my cousin has the Epic 80 - 500 system and I set it up for him so I know first hand how they sound, and they sound good.. but first, I need to hear them in MY room . And any other speakers I audition in this town, I'm going to ask that I listen to them in my own basement before I give anyone a dime.

Cheers
Stephane

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Riker #307153 05/19/10 12:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Stephan. Most of us have probably been sucked in by that same preasure tactic at one time or another.

Auditioning in your room is a good idea.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #307155 05/19/10 01:05 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
As someone who has spent time putting together A/V systems in recent years, I have found dealing with many retailers akin to pulling out my fingernails with a pair of pliers!

When it comes to dealing with these people, I have one simple rule that everyone can use. If they start criticizing equipment they don't sell, IMMEDIATELY turn around and walk out the door!
It never occurs to this "pea-brained" salesperson that the customer he is trying to sell may own the equipment he is knocking so in essence, without knowing it, he is calling that customer an idiot for owning it!

This is the LAST type of individual who is going to provide the potential customer with knowledgeable advice.

casey01 #307156 05/19/10 01:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Years ago before I bought my M80s, I went to a local high end seller to listen to Paradigm Studio 100s (which he did not have, I think I listened to the 60's). I also listened to the Maggie 3.6s there (they were very nice) and I think a pair of Focals (which were okay). I told the salesman that I was considering Axiom. As I remember, he smiled and said they were good speakers but not as good as the what they had in his shop. I expect a salesman to try and push what he sells, and in a way I kind of appreciate that he did not slam the Axioms. I figured all it would cost me to try them out was return shipping (I already had the QS8s at that point, so I was familiar with the sound quality of Axiom).

Long story short, never looked back on my decision, and I've never been back to that shop.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
fredk #307157 05/19/10 01:42 AM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Stephan. Most of us have probably been sucked in by that same preasure tactic at one time or another.

Auditioning in your room is a good idea.

Thanks Fred, that does make me feel a bit better :-)

Just today, yet again, as he was telling me about the B&W 804s on sale , he said " these are absolutely the best speakers under $5000 dollars bar none, and they are my last pair for only $4000, you really can't go wrong" ..Wrong .. I listened to the speakers, I did not like what I heard, therefore, if I was to purchase them, I WOULD go wrong ..again.. but not this time buddy.. I have 10 years of experience and maturity since the last time he pulled this crap..he won't be seeing me in his store anytime soon.. if ever..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters