Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cable questions
#30739 01/14/04 05:06 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi all,

Just wondering what brand cables you folks have tried with your Axioms, and what the results were? I just got the M80's as part of an Epic 80 system, and am considering some new speaker cables and interconnects. I usually like them to be from the same manufacturer. I'm also leaning towards getting the speaker cable bi-wired. I know that it's a debatable subject as to whether or not it improves performance, but the price difference is minimal in most cases. Also, I've rarely heard of bi-wire cable negatively effecting the sound quality. Some of the brands I'm considering are:
Tara Labs (Ref Gen 2 interconnect & RSC Prime 1000 Bi-Wire speaker cable) , Nordost (Blue Heaven interconnect and Blue Heaven bi-wire speaker cable), MIT (AVT-1 interconnect & speaker cable), Kimber (Silver Streak interconnect & 8TC non-bi-wire speaker cable), and Better Cables (Blue Truth interconnect & Blue Truth bi-wire speaker cable)

If anybody has any comments on these selections or other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Side note: Let me preface this by saying that I am one of those people who believes that cables do make a difference in a system's sound. Please note that I am not saying "expensive cables sound better". I am merely observing that different cables will sound different in a system, and that matching your system with the right sounding cables, can in many cases help the sound quality.

Thanks for your time.

Sully

Re: Cable questions
#30740 01/14/04 05:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hmm. ya'll better just apologize. Now.

the cables you mention are pretty pricey and while many will disagree with making any difference you'll have to leave that up to your own ears. I have Audioquest type 4 speaker cables, i bought them when i thought id hear a difference and i might have, i dont even remember! lol but i think it was money well spent because they are quality cables and will last. not to mention looking alot better then the cheap stuff.

if you want something that looks good, ok. but i wouldnt buy expensive cables expecting to hear a significant difference where the money would probbly be better spent on other things. but really its up to you. i tried bi-wiring and i didnt think it made any difference, i think that to buy a biwire cable would definetly be a waste of money but like i said. listen for yourself. but decent ones and get a quality cable, but dont go overboard. i guess thats all the advice i have to offer.

#30741 01/14/04 05:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
It's all copper.
Unless of course you buy silver.
In any event, electrons are still just electrons. The signal gets from path A to path B....either more expensively, or less expensively.

I think if you do a general search on the forums for "cable" or "wire" or anything similar, you will get plenty of answers that will not answer your question. Mostly because most of them say "it doesn't matter".
I concur.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30742 01/14/04 05:59 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sully, no speaker wire(singular)of adequate gauge will make a speaker sound different unless an expensive wire is so poorly designed that it makes the sound quality deteriorate slightly. No effective "matching" is possible. Follow Roger Russell's suggestions and save your money for things that count.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#30743 01/14/04 08:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't listen to any of emm...they are blowing hot air since they have not personally tested any those that you have mentioned. I run 4TC and tried 8TC and love em. I also like the Nordost line but they are jus too expensive. I personally have heard difference...but that doesnt mean it is better...pick the one you enjoy the most at the price you are willing to buy. Couple of weeks back I tried some JPS Superconductor which are relatively more expensive than my 4TC but I still personally like the sound the 4TC presents.
As with any advice trust your ears not someone elses diction.

Saturn

ps:cables matter...tubes sound great...more power sounds better...a flat frequency curve can be nice but who cares...certain DACs sounds better...in the end trust your own ears not an EE,scientist or my mom.

#30744 01/14/04 02:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
RSully,
let me be reasonable to both sides of the argument here. Maybe it would be a good idea to try and 'audition' some of these cables first before you go and lay out that kind of money (to me anyways, that's a pile of cash). I'm sure you wouldn't buy speakers without auditioning them first, or at least have the option to return them (like Axiom allows).

I personally don't believe that different cables do make a difference, but you should discover that for yourself. Hopefully there's some audio shops in your area that will allow you to audition some of these and you can decide for yourself (just make sure to double-blind).

"Chickens don't clap."
#30745 01/14/04 04:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

in the end trust your own ears not an EE,scientist or my mom

And as long as you listen while being blind tested, then yes, trust your ears.
That statement would become valid.

#30746 01/14/04 05:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

And as long as you listen while being blind tested, then yes, trust your ears.
That statement would become valid.

My statement above may have been too brash. I do not personaly attack scientists or EEs or people on here specifically. I meant it in a general sense as people in general. As I am a cable advocate and do believe a "few" cables do sound better too "my" ears either be it percieved or real. That being, I always say if you like what you hear...and you have researched enough on the product ... thats good enough reason to buy it if you had the notion to do so.

Lots of people say blanket statements and push it as facts.

#30747 01/14/04 05:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah Saturn you're a good man.
Some day maybe i will have the chance to hear your cables, uh, i mean speakers.

#30748 01/14/04 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
lol....and I know you will want me to blind test em. I'll make sure you are full of malt and hops and would really notice a difference.

Maybe you can bring the man of mystery and if I can convince you guys I can convince the world.

Last edited by Saturn; 01/14/04 05:54 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters