Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
How would I build an axiom home theatre for 1kish?
#308226 05/27/10 04:36 AM
B
Bakajon Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
B

Hi, I'm new around here. I have always liked accurate, good audio and somehow I think Id like to try Axiom speakers. People seem friendly and the community is nice. I am going to call them up on the phone tomorrow and chat some if I get time.

So for around 1000 dollars what could I build? I was thinking at first maybe a pair of m60's and a center channel vp 100 would be good? Yeah I know that's more like 1200 dollars but what can you do?

I really like the way the vp150 looks tho. I mean a set of m22's with a vp150 and the lower end subwoofer would be swell too right? I do not want to make so much noise to wake up the house hold. I'm more after accurate, nice sound that is really clear and good sounding.

I am a japanese animation fan more than a music fan, so I do not know if that would change the type of speaker you would reccomend. Often me and a buddy are up late watching anime together and I would not like something that carries so well it would wake the whole house up ya know?

Anyway I would appreciate your imputs. thank you in advance.

PS I will be going to an anime convention this weekend and will try to get back and read this often but I will be in con mode, at the con 16 hours a day, sleep 6 hours, shower.. what's a shower? Kidding, but you get the drift.

Re: How would I build an axiom home theatre for 1kish?
Bakajon #308230 05/27/10 05:05 AM
shareholder in the making
Jon, welcome. In my view the priority order for an HT setup should be: mains, surrounds, sub, center. The mains can form a "phantom" center which can ease the problem of a tight budget. Note that by using the Axiom Outlet(new speakers with very minor cosmetic blemishes)you save 10%. I'd suggest that you get M22 mains and QS4 surrounds from the outlet for about $800. Then, the remaining $200 or so really can't get a suitable Axiom sub, so you might consider something such as the Acoustech PL-200(available around $280)which one of our members, Dana Duval, got recently and with which he's very pleased.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Bakajon #308231 05/27/10 05:08 AM
veteran
veteran
Hi, welcome to the forums! Your room size would play a factor in which of those options would be best. I have M60's and a VP100 up front and the soundstage is quite seemless. You would be able to get away without a sub for now if you went that route, but I would recommend one as well as some QS8's down the road to complete the package. These speakers are awesome, accurate, and very detailed, so regardless of what you watch or listen too, they perform very well.

Bakajon #308232 05/27/10 05:12 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
JohnK is giving good advice. I'm wondering if you can give more details about your listening environment. Dimensions? How wide is the seating area? How far away is the seating?

I would also recommend going without a center for now, especially if it's mainly going to just be you and one friend enjoying the system at a time.

CV #308234 05/27/10 06:01 AM
J
J
M22s and a VP100 are a great combination, I ran this set up with QS8s for a few years till upgrading to M80s. I would add a sub to this and get the surrounds as you can afford them. I find the addition of a center channel allows for better dialogue intelligibility due to the fact you can bump this channel up a little higher in the avr over the rest of the audio channels which is much better for those late night movies without waking up the household.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #308235 05/27/10 06:24 AM
B
Bakajon Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
B
Nice. I am impressed by the swift responses guys.

my listening area is smaller than I would like. I'm in a 12 by 22 room but half of that 22 is occupied by a train layout so consider it a 12 by 11.

I have poor vision so I am usually about 3-4 foot away from my screen. Also we have two computers on one side of our room occupying it. eh I will try to draw a little map. :P

[T................TX........X.......(isit)(//}
[T................TX........X.............(//)
[T................TX........X(fsits)......(//)
[T................TX........X.............(//)
[T................TXXXXXXXXXX.............(//)
[T................T................(dsits)(//)
[T................T.......................(//)
[T................T..........................)
[T................T........X(cabinents)XX....)
[T................T.(door).X............X(closet)
______________________________________________]

So part of the problem stems from how I must share this space with my dad. :P He has this massive train layout which is somewhat cool, but not that space hogging cool.

In the middle we have a treadmill and exercise bike, and then there are cabinents on the back wall. I honestly think we need to move stuff out to make room for better toys. But it is hard.

Anyways so i guess my listening area is about a 10 by 12. I do not think I have room for all the surround hardware atm but maybe.

By the way do you reccomend the vp100 over the vp150 for a small area? I dunno why but the dual tweeters and three speakers on it look sweet. they are likely overkill though.

Last edited by Bakajon; 05/27/10 06:39 AM.
Bakajon #308238 05/27/10 06:37 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'm sure more responses will follow in the morning. On a side note, what are some of your favorite anime series?

CV #308239 05/27/10 06:55 AM
B
Bakajon Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
B
Hah that map was really rough. sorry. Uh the right side of my room on that map is covered by a huge wooden desk that me and my dad built. It has two large computers and a professional print station on it. it's pretty well utilized on that side.

My favorite anime shows. Wow let's see.

I have always enjoyed full metal panic. that show is good at making me laugh, espcially fumofu however I like how the show does a lot of different things and does them pretty well.

For more modern anime I just watched this one called Nodame Contable. It was soo good. unfortunately it's not for sale in the US. it was made back in 06 and likely won't be ported over.. Sad thing.

Anyways Nodame Contable is a romantic comedy about two college students who are going to school to be in an orchestra. It doesn't sound it but it is very funny and has a lot of good heartfelt moments. I feel it likely won't be ported due to the fact that it is a really mature anime. It was unusual in that way and targeted towards older women.

Macross Frontier is another one of my favorite animes, also not currently available in america. It's a story about a fighter pilot and an aspiring idol, as well as a falling idol, and the love triangle they have while they try to defend humanity battlestar galactica style. It's a little echhi and a little imature at times but really lovely to listen to. I gotta say a romance about two idols and a fighter pilot though is not likely to be mature in the first place, but who knows.

Classic Slayers is a good one, although hard to reccomend to a new fan. It's got action, big swords, huge spells, and cheesy humor. Of course the slayers revolution and evolution R were excellent extensions to those. I got them on dvd.

Some people might roll their eyes but the latest of Naruto Shippuden is actually really good. I've got a crunchyroll subscription and really like watching some random stuff there..

Also Inuyasha final act off hulu is a trip, quickly wrapping up the series in 26 episodes. They did a really good job of that one.

There were several good anime movies that I have seen too. I could go on for a while because I have a pretty extensive library. :P

Also if you like fighting games, anime, and have an xbox-360 check out Soul Calibur 4 and Tales of Vesperia. Two of my favorite xbox 360 games.

I admit vesperia was a little shallow on the story but the characters were more than entertaining enough, and if you are a gem hunter, want to find all the weapons and outfits, extra bosses in the games you play it won't disappoint.

Ah I could keep rambling but I need to be well rested for my con this weekend.

Bakajon #308240 05/27/10 07:03 AM
B
Bakajon Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
B

Say JohnK on topic that sounds very nice. I could save some dollars that way. I'll consider it.

So get some nice m22's and you reccomend the surround sound over a sub? Good to note.

Now unfortunately it seems I will need an audio amplifier. my current set up are self amped ones. I am using a bluesky mediadesk 2.1 which is a very pretty setup but I think my amplifier is about to go bad on me.

Well, maybe, you see if the rca in's on my woofer are bumped even the slightest then my speakers start humming really loud. Actually even if the speakers are just sitting there for about eight hours or so they will randomly start up, assuming I didn't turn them off.

I think there is an issue with the way they are being grounded. My mediadesk 2.1's had some fuses blow after I had got them, after several fuses I had called the manufacturer who sent me a plug that helped to prevent that from happening, but it seems like my amplifier is having some electrical issues again.

Anyways I tried new cables. I got some dayton banana plugs for my satalights and audioquest copperhead cables to try to reduce that rca noise. It didn't work so again I think I have a grounding issue.

So I was thinkin I could upgrade my setup and then take my bluesky's and put them by our second tv, maybe they would have more luck upstairs.

Bakajon #308241 05/27/10 07:13 AM
C
CV Offline
C
\:D Thanks for sharing some titles. Nodame Cantabile sounds interesting. I'll have to find a way to watch it.

I did enjoy Soul Calibur IV, though I didn't play it too much. I should have a friend over and put it in again. I actually own Tales of Vesperia, too, but I have to admit I haven't even played it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

My sister likes the manga of Naruto, but she didn't like the anime for some reason. A couple of people have mentioned Crunchyroll to me, but I always forget to go try it out. You'd think I would remember something that sounds so delicious.

I'm behind on watching InuYasha. I own a couple of seasons that I haven't yet watched. Nice to hear that The Final Act is satisfying.

I watched the first several episodes of Slayers a long time ago with my friend, but it didn't grab me at the time. I should give it another shot.

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack the thread. I'll let the more helpful people get it going in the right direction again.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters