Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: The 3D Gamble....
ClubNeon #307049 05/18/10 03:35 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Chris, you know entirely too much about all this stuff! And I'm only saying that because I'm insanely jealous of your knowledge depth.

Alan, so with the two TV's right next to eachother you couldn't really see a difference in the vibrance? I've always been curious how they make yellow out of Red, Green & Blue? I've seen but one 3D movie at the theater in the last decade, and that was 'Beowolf'. But I have to be honest, it was a 3D iMAX and I thought it was cool as hell. WAY better than the 3D movies of the 80's.

Therefore I'm almost scared to put the glasses on and watch a 3D TV for fear that I'm going to want it as much as I wanted a High Definition television when they first came out in the late 90's. God I can still remember walking into Sears that 1st time and seeing the 1st 1080i display, what with the mountian scenes and the wildlife all captured and seemingly sitting right there in that little box... I was so mesmerized I could barely move! I'd heard people tout the new sets, but until I finally saw one for myself I had no idea how much better it could look. It did look as good as everyone said it did.

So I can imagine that once I've put the glasses on it very well could have the same impact on me? I don't know, I haven't put em on yet. I do appreciate how letting companies develop their own technology creates competition and brings us a better product in the end. Its just that it also makes it so hard to know when to pull the trigger because the next generation could be a million times better.

Personally speaking the rate at which technology is changing leaves me in a quandry... I have a hard time buying anything at all because I'm afraid of choosing the wrong thing and regretting it later. That's why I haven't had a video camera for the last 10 years, and that's why I'm still without a BD player. I tried the Samsung BDP 3600 for a while and LOVED the picture, but was underwhelmed by the build quality and the streaming feature had issue's. So I've been talking myself into the Oppo player because everyone raves about it, but I'm just so sure as soon as I pull the trigger... BAM, someone else is going to release something that's going to make the 83 obsolete!

If the new Denon has a halfway decent scaler, it might do just that. I dunno, perhaps I'm over thinking the situation, but I've been burned before, and it left a really sour taste in my mouth. \:\(

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
michael_d #307054 05/18/10 03:52 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
I didn't read all your rant Mica, but I get the jist and concur....

What's this 'fourth' color addition all about? Yellow is already there in a color gamut as a secondary color.

I have to admit that I did enjoy Avatar in the theater in 3-D, but the glasses killed it for me. Every ten minutes or so I had to pull them off and rub my eyes.

I would concur with the question on the addition of this "yellow" color business. As has already been stated, yellow is already a "secondary" color in the spectrum that really doesn't have a significant effect in the overall picture so I don't know what the big deal is. Once again another marketing "gimmick" to fool the public in to thinking they are getting something new that is really already there. If one wants to really carry it a giant step further then buy one of the new "Video EQ"s or Video EQ Pro's from Spectracal(AV Foundry)and it will let you play with and totally calibrate all SIX primary and secondary colors on your existing monitor. You won't need a new television.

As far as 3D movies are concerned, Ebert is right. How many of them can really take advantage of this "not so new" technology.
At $279 a pop on top of the price of the monitor, Samsung's 3D glasses, for the average consumer, could be a deal breaker.

Micah #307055 05/18/10 03:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I wonder how they are going to allow shoppers to sample the TV's that require special glasses in the stores? I surely don't want to put on a pair of glasses that who knows how many people before me has already had them on their face.

CatBrat #307057 05/18/10 03:58 PM
shareholder in the making
I agree with just about everything you said, Micah. That's part of the reason that I haven't bought a new TV yet (not most of it, but part of it). I'm horrible about wanting to buy the best I can afford, even if it's not quite out, so I'll just wait a little longer, ooh, just got more expensive, I can't see paying that much... etc etc etc.

The idea that TVs--a product that costs >$1000 for the size of sets that people seem to be getting these days--are disposable is ludicrous. I'm seriously in the minority, I know, but I still have the 27" CRT I bought when I was in college. Sigh. C'mon, kids, break the TV already...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
casey01 #307062 05/18/10 04:06 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: casey01
3D glasses, for the average consumer, could be a deal breaker.

Just the thought of always having to put on glasses for TV use in my home is a deal breaker for me let alone the cost.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #307064 05/18/10 04:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
 Originally Posted By: casey01
3D glasses, for the average consumer, could be a deal breaker.

Just the thought of always having to put on glasses for TV use in my home is a deal breaker for me let alone the cost.

You'd think the manufacturers would realize this. However, I suspect that Chris is right about it being about piracy. If only the studios would realize that much of that is from insiders and academy members...

Ken.C #307065 05/18/10 04:11 PM
J
J
Much easier to blame the unknown general public than look in your own backyard.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #307066 05/18/10 04:12 PM
Or to realize that perhaps ticket prices are too high, so people don't want to waste money on them.

jakewash #307069 05/18/10 04:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

Jeesh, I've already been having to do that since I turned 40....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #307070 05/18/10 04:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I'd never thought of 3D as being an anti-piracy gambit. Makes sense.

Micah: the sets I viewed were not side-by-side, but I've been judging video displays long enough that I'm confident in my statements. Manufacturers at CES tend to use the same demo source materials so it's not that difficult to view different manufacturers' displays with similar presentations.

I saw no visible advantage of the Sharp displays over those of Panasonic, etc.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616