Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kerpow!! Gotta love a shootout
grunt #308482 05/28/10 06:55 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I agree about liking the look of the dust caps but by getting rid of them it eliminates one source (however small) of problems, loose dust caps.
Not to mention what little hands and lots of curiosty does to them.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #308484 05/28/10 06:59 PM
But isn't there something of a boobie-look that is appealing?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
jakewash #308485 05/28/10 07:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One other point to consider is that it's possible that Axiom will keep the dust caps, but 'aluminize' them along with the transducer, much like these mid-woofers from Peerless/Tymphany.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BlueJays1 #308498 05/28/10 09:25 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I have always liked the black dust caps on the white drivers - the traditional look that immediately separates them from the majority of speakers/competition. There is a lot of brand recognition in the classic look of the drivers.

Although I've never given much thought to the dust caps, I'd still have to agree here; they are very distinctive looking. I found that the Axiom driver really stood out (to me anyways) in their banner ads. They caught my eye both before and after I became an Axiom follower. Not sure a silver capless driver would've had the same effect. Driver appearance would never be a deciding factor for me in terms of speaker purchases, but it can get one's attention if it is distinctive enough.

#308499 05/28/10 09:27 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
I wonder if the silver capless drivers will sound any better or different? Perhaps this is purely a cosmetic change?

#308520 05/28/10 11:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't believe they (dust cap) have a noticeable, if any effect at all on the sound.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
grunt #308532 05/29/10 01:33 AM
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Interesting article. I'm a big fan of blind tests for anything that is influenced by unrelated perceptions.

My biggest quibble with this test has to do with using music unfamiliar to the users to evaluate the speakers. I'd suggest something along the lines of creating a compilation CD of all the tracks you're using for evaluation, sending it to participants and having them listen to all the tracks multiple times on their own sound system. That way they'd be familiar with the music and how it sounds on their reference system, which would free them to pay attention to how the speakers reproduce the music.

fredk #308548 05/29/10 04:12 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Unclebob. If you want the definitive answer its, as always, 42 (which makes no sense if you are not a scifi fan).

Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy of course, 42 works for me, i understand completely, and i know exactly which speaker is best now...

M60's, VP100, velodyne vx10, and qs8's, powered by pioneer vsx-03TXH, stereo system with m22's
vadergeta #308558 05/29/10 06:02 AM
J
J
Or at least which forum \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
fredk #308563 05/29/10 10:34 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur

Fredk,

The science behind the double blind listening test is a very interesting one. I was at the NRC in the early days when we spent much time developing the double blind listen test and analyzing the results. It was at this time that the consistency of the results started to become apparent. We were getting very similar rankings of products, even across a broad spectrum of listeners with very different musical tastes and levels of exposure to high fidelity. It was this consistency of result that allowed us to begin developing a set of laboratory measurements that could be directly correlated to the listening test results. It was also shown that this correlation would be lost if the tests were done sighted; especially amongst those with high levels of exposure to high fidelity who knew what was under test and had a predetermined favorite. As time went by the double blind listening test became more refined along with our knowledge of what we could do in the laboratory to positively affect the result. In the beginning we were essentially “knocking off the big measurements” which meant the performance differences were large and the listening test results incredibly consistent; but as time went by, and we wanted to work on more subtle differences, both the double blind listening test and the laboratory measurements became more refined. We can now get very consistent listening test results on some very minor adjustments to the performance. If I had to boil it down to a few key components needed for a proper test, and this is leaving out a lot of important detail, I think I would go with 1) the dB levels of all the speakers under test must be the same, 2) the screen must be acoustically transparent, and 3) the listener must own the switch and the music. All of our listen testing is done one participant at a time and they have full control over the music they wish to play and when they wish to push the instantaneous switcher.

Obviously doing it this way is one laborious process. It can take all day, or longer, for just one listen test session. I am sure Steven Roode is painfully aware of this. When we were developing the VP180 he would check in on the progress from time to time and no doubt it must have appeared to be taking us forever to get through the listen testing of the various options we were working on. If we wanted to try just one more thing then another week would go by.

The advantage however is we do get consistent results from our listen testing to very minor adjustments made in the laboratory. We can also get consistent results between both experienced listeners and relative newbies. The experienced listeners tend to be able to get to their decisions much quicker than the newbies but the results are quite consistent. We never put any sort of time limit on how long you spend in the test session.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082