Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
#30852 01/15/04 05:37 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, it's my turn to deal with the dreaded buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from hell. Give me a hand here.

I just got my new Odyssey Stratos amp tonight. Wow...I've never seen an amp like this. It's huge, heavy, SOLID, and beautiful.

I unplugged the interconnects from my main L and R pre-outs from my processor that went to my Rotel 5 channel amp, and replaced them with a pair of interconnects going into the Statos. Plugged my M60's into the amp. Plugged the power cord into the Statos and then directly into the outlet on my wall, and finally flipped the switch on the back of the amp to "on". The Odyssey logo blinked on a nifty blue light. So far, so good. Then as I heard the amp itself "click" on, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

@&^*%!

I tried putting the power cable through my RS surge protector, rather than to the wall directly, and this had no effect. I moved cords around to see if the buzz changed in loudness and/or tone - nothing. I unplugged my lamp that's in that same corner - nothing. I turned the volume on my processor all the way down, and the volume control on the processor has no effect on the level of the buzz. I tried playing a cd to see if the buzz would go away once it received a signal...nope. I can hear the buzz behind the music.

This is not subtle buzz. Using my handy dandy RS db meter, it measures approx. 54db!

Aaaarrrrggggg...

Re: Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
#30853 01/15/04 06:00 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Craig, about the only thing that caught my attention was that you appeared to say that you used a different pair of interconnects than the ones you used with your Rotel. If so, although I assume that these are also shielded coaxial cables, did you try the old ones? Other than that, unless Klaus says that the buzz takes a month of burn-in to leave, it would seem that the amp needs a return trip.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#30854 01/15/04 06:35 AM
old hand
old hand
Craig, this could very well be 60Hz "hum" possibly due to a poor ground on the Odyssey amp. If you have a volt-ohm meter, remove the interconnect cables and measure between the case on the amp with 1 probe and the case on the receiver with the other to see if there is any voltage potential betwee them. If there is (and it may be quite small) you'll need to double, no triple check the ground on the new amp. good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Bob

#30855 01/15/04 07:39 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The interconnects I switched to are essentially the same as the ones I used with the Rotel. In fact I've used them with the Rotel before without an issue. Just for giggles, I unhooked the Stratos, and hooked my Rotel back up. Dead silence - no buzz.

Thanks for the ideas. Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

#30856 01/15/04 01:19 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Craig, let us know what Klaus says about this.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#30857 01/15/04 03:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Is your sub connected to your processor? Try disconnecting and powering it down (temporarily) and then reconnect the Stratos and see if you still get a hum or buzz. I had that issue same loud buzz or hum. By chance I disconnected the sub and the hum went away. Reconnected and it came back. Moved the sub away from all my component and re-connected it and it was gone. My sub was right beside my Bryston power amp and the sub power cable and speaker cables were crossing over each other underneath the small space under the sub. My situation maybe totally different than yours though.

Saturn

ps: my sub is unshielded but I think your is. But I still didn't know why shielding would affect the components I had since not video.

Last edited by Saturn; 01/15/04 03:33 PM.
#30858 01/15/04 03:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The first thing coming to mind is as audiobob mentioned.
Is this a ground loop hum?
You can try using a cheater plug on the Odyssey assuming it has a ground plug on its power cord (oddly enough the Anthem amp i had last week did not).
The Halo amp did have the ground plug on the power cord but it ALSO had a feature for lifting the ground loop (a switch) on the back of the amp such that no cheater plug would be required.
When i first had the hum from the Halo, i tried out the ground switch but the sound was not quite like a ground loop hum so i figured that that was not the issue. If it is that audible with the Odyssey and it sounds like a constant 'tone' i would guess that is the problem.

Beyond that, send the unit back to Klaus or in the least, give him a call.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30859 01/15/04 04:17 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'll try the sub trick first.

As far as using a "cheater plug". Yes, the supplied power cord has the third ground plug. When I bought my Hsu, it came with a cheater plug, and buzzed like crazy if I didn't use the cheater. So it did come to mind that perhaps I should use a cheater plug with the amp's power cord. BUT - the owners manual states more than once, and in bold letters NOT to disable the ground plug. So I'm not doing it until/unless Klaus says to.

I'm going to call Klaus today. I'll let you know what he says. If I have to send it back I'm NOT going to be a happy camper. The thing weighs a freakin' ton. Shipping back is going to cost close to $50.

Did I mention the amp is beautiful?

#30860 01/15/04 04:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

When I bought my Hsu, it came with a cheater plug, and buzzed like crazy if I didn't use the cheater.

With that piece of info, i would say you probably have your answer.
I have had no issues with ground loops in my home and yet a friend of mine, who specifically built his basement with all sorts of 'proper' and 'extra' wiring issues in mind still has ground loops.
He has to use a cheater plug with his sub as well but the rest of his components are fine. If he moves the sub to another outlet, it works fine, except that his sub is no longer in a prime location.

I can understand the reasons for not wanting to remove the ground plug from the equation, however using the cheater plug briefly to eliminate the ground loop as the cause of the noise should not damage your equipment any more than it would have to your Hsu. That being said, call Klaus first and if he agrees, then give it a go. At least you have permission from the man who would do any repair if it actually came to that.
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i believe if you use a cheater plug but then plug into a surge protector you are essentially adding a ground protection right back in again.

Got any pics coming on that Odyssey?
I would love to see it. The pics on the website are limited.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30861 01/15/04 04:58 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I sure hope that's the problem.

This pic is pretty close to what I have. My unit is silver on top and on the sides as well. The glass Odyssey window lights up a dim blue when powered on. Not too bright, which would make it distracting. Just enough for a very nice effect. I'll take some actual pictures and post them later.

Oh...see the name plate on the back in this picture? I didn't realize it, but your amp comes with a personalized plate on the back. Mine of course reads, "Mr. Craig Rogers". How cool is that?

Did I mention that this amp is beautiful?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters