Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: AVR's are confusing. :P Help me pick one, again.
Bakajon #309155 06/03/10 01:40 AM
shareholder in the making
Jon, yes AVRs are confusing and Denons are probably the worst in that regard. You have to study your manual carefully for each connection that you want to make.

You're right that the 589 doesn't process the audio content out of the HDMI connection, but you're certainly wrong that you're "left with a box I can't do much with". You're not obligated to use HDMI connections, and for those sources that you do, the audio should be input by the digital coaxial and/or optical inputs or the analog audio inputs.

Keep in mind that the unit cost only $144 and most(all?)similar level AVRs didn't process HDMI audio and required the use of separate audio connections.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #309159 06/03/10 01:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
An HDMI unit that does not do the audio from HDMI is very silly. Bakajon, whoever recommend that piece of ^*** should be ashamed.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #309162 06/03/10 02:12 AM
No, Eric; if that generally excellent unit(or other similar ones)continues to be available at a bargain price, it should continue to be a prime suggestion.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Bakajon #309171 06/03/10 04:29 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Bakajon

Yes I am doing it from my pc. I wouldn't have any degradation to use optical instead of hdmi? How hard is it to switch between audio / video modes on the avr? This is my biggest concern.

Say I watched a video on my computer then wanted to play a game on my 360. I switch the audio and the video signal separately yes? Sorry I am likely just nit picking. :P Just curious about the process because I have never done it and know no one who knows about it.

Another option is to stream audio/video to your Xbox 360 from your computer. Wireless is okay, but if possible, hardwiring is best.

That way, your PC may not even need to be connected to your AVR, just a suggestion.

1sweetspot #309177 06/03/10 05:39 AM
B
Bakajon Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
B

-nods- It is well priced though dakmart can not process credit cards right now. also they add like 30 dollars onto the price for handling even though they claim free shipping.

I guess all in all I think a receiver that has more headroom for expansion is good. I do enjoy movies so I will likely be buying some anime blue rays in the future, so it's good to have the best possible and easiest connections.

Yes it is expensive and I have officially blown my entire budget and broke my bank account but have any of you tried the
yamaha 765? I am just rolling with it now, sucking it up and going to save cash later.

snazzed #309187 06/03/10 10:53 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
I have yet to see Laptop with HDMI out. In fact, if you have a Mac Laptop, you need an adapter to go from "mini display port" --> DVI and another for DVI --> HDMI.

I've recently gotten curious about a new laptop, and nearly all newer laptops (that I've checked out) have HDMI out. Office Depot has one on sale from MSI for $549, for example.

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #309196 06/03/10 02:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Yes, my new Asus laptop has HDMI out and SATA as well.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #309200 06/03/10 03:17 PM
S
local
local
S
Interesting. I guess I've been looking at the wrong machines. Apple, in particular, is lagging here.

Thanks
snazzed

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"
snazzed #309203 06/03/10 04:03 PM
Apple's never going to put HDMI on their laptops, I guarantee that. Mini-DP is where they're at. Displayport is fairly easily converted to HDMI in any case.

Frankly, I'm surprised that most other companies aren't going to DP in the laptop space. Certainly if you look at video cards, DP is where the new cards are going.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #309216 06/03/10 05:22 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: snazzed
Hey Jay.

AVRs don't "strictly use HDMI". There are a number of AVR manufactueres out there that *do* have DVI inputs on their AVRs. To me its a Denon "irk".
OK poor choice of words, not strictly but most have adopted HDMI and dropped DVI. I thnk most common avrs(Yamaha, Denon, H/K etc) have dropped DVI, at least as far as I have seen.

Quote:
Also, there are still a large number of computers out there that *don't* sport HDMI outs. I'm going to go out on a limb and say *any* computer where you are using the on-board video... and laptops. In fact I have yet to see a PC that *comes with* and HDMI port.

You must not be looking in the right places, I see them quite often now, granted on the more upscale PC's by HP etc. with what seems to be seperate video cards but most if not all MB's for your own build ups have HDMI on board.

Quote:
I have yet to see Laptop with HDMI out. In fact, if you have a Mac Laptop, you need an adapter to go from "mini display port" --> DVI and another for DVI --> HDMI.
Others have already commented and now you know.

Quote:
Is it so wrong that I want to hook my PC up to my good screen and good sound?
Absolutely not but to convert DVI to HDMI is as simple as an adapter.

I just had to look up the specs for Display Port as I have been wondering for awhile now about where this came from as HDMI seems to do the same thing. DP is free, for now anyway, no royalty fees to pay which is why, I will guess, Apple is a big proponent for it. There are some subtle differences and HDMI has been around for awhile longer, Wiki stated DP only since 2006 and HDMI also has a few more features Dp does not:

from Wiki:
"The DisplayPort website states that DisplayPort is expected to complement HDMI, a popular compact audio/video interface.[8] Most of the DisplayPort supporters are computer companies such as Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu, Toshiba and Acer, some of which have released several computer monitors that support DisplayPort and some also with HDMI.[9][10] Computer support for DisplayPort audio was introduced by AMD in the Catalyst 9.12 hotfix.[11]

DisplayPort is currently royalty free, while the HDMI royalty is 4 cents per device and has an annual fee of $10,000 for high volume manufacturers.[12] But, HDMI Licensing LLC claims that, like HDMI, the DisplayPort specification allows for compensation from implementers to unspecified rights holders.[13]

However, HDMI has certain features that DisplayPort lacks such as support for the xvYCC color space, Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) signals, and electrical compatibility with DVI.[14][15]

In the interest of interoperability, the DisplayPort connection is capable of supporting HDMI/DVI signals.[8] DisplayPort has issued guidelines on the construction of active DisplayPort-to-VGA, DisplayPort-to-SVIDEO/Composite/Other, DisplayPort-to-Dual-Link-DVI/HDMI, and Dual-Link-DVI/HDMI-to-DisplayPort Converters.[citation needed] In addition to active converters, the same guideline document also describes a way for devices supporting both DisplayPort and DVI 1.0 or HDMI to use a single DisplayPort connector for both, using a relatively simple adapter that adjusts for the lower voltages required by the DisplayPort connector. A notable limitation is that this is limited to Single Link DVI/HDMI, and that an active Converter is needed for Dual-Link communication."

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup