Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 126 of 183 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 182 183
Re: What video games are you playing tonight?
terzaghi #358735 11/15/11 11:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
See if the follower can train an ability. Buy it, then take
the gold back.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #358743 11/16/11 03:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good to know about how you lost your follower. I’ll think twice about inviting some random person to follow me.

And thanks for the tip about training, I’ll check to see if she can train anything but I don’t recall seeing that as an option for her.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #358748 11/16/11 05:48 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
It's a testament to how big and open the game is when I talk to people and they've had such different game experiences right out of the gate. A coworker has been playing it, and I've seen almost none of what he's mentioned.

CV #358749 11/16/11 05:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well I just ran into the first baddy I can’t take. While the first dragon I fought killed me a couple times before I figured out how to take it this magic user blasts the crap out of me with fireballs before I can either get close or even get a couple arrows off. Luckily I was just passing by his hideout on the way to find the Gray Beards so I just gave up and went around his place.

Also nearly got my butt handed to me by a Snow Bear. Only thing that save me was my follower kept it occupied while I jumped on a rock, healed myself and then commenced to make it a pincushion with arrows. Clearly some directions on the map are safer to travel in than others.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #358753 11/16/11 06:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Frost trolls and giants are difficult early on. Playing on expert, I had to run away from some enemies. Beautiful environments, large open world are the best things going with this game. Just a TON of content to get through. I'm not totally blown away as I thought I would be however. Overall I prefer what Mass Effect 2 offered vs Skyrim. Different games I know. I am also now running into slowdowns, occasional glitches and the game just froze on me.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #358757 11/16/11 12:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Question, as I can't buy it until I finish a big picture frame project that I'm ever so slowly doing or it will never get done....

Does the world difficulty scale equally with your level like Oblivion (meaning there are no high level areas on the map verses low level areas, it just scales everything everywhere to your level.)

and

How do the level and skill advancements work compared to Oblivion. Do you still have to carefully micro-manage your skill advancement and be very careful when you sleep or end up with a high level character with many skills not equal to your level. Given the way the world worked, this made it very easy to end up with a character that got a lot weaker vs. mobs instead of stronger as you level because the world scaled harder but your skills might not have advanced sufficiently.

I know the veterans didn't need the longer explanation but I tried to explain it for those new to Elder Scrolls games.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #358758 11/16/11 01:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Game players at young age creates more grey matter in the brain that supports addictions. Article

CatBrat #358760 11/16/11 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good thing I'm not young. Nothing to worry about. Now hand me that controller or I'll blow your brains out.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #358762 11/16/11 02:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Murph

How do the level and skill advancements work compared to Oblivion. Do you still have to carefully micro-manage your skill advancement and be very careful when you sleep or end up with a high level character with many skills not equal to your level. Given the way the world worked, this made it very easy to end up with a character that got a lot weaker vs. mobs instead of stronger as you level because the world scaled harder but your skills might not have advanced sufficiently.

That's the part I never liked about Oblivion. Well, mainly because I didn't level up correctly and found myself unable to complete certain quests. By the time I figured that out I had put too many hours into the game and just stopped playing. Didn't feel like starting over again.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #358764 11/16/11 04:03 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Murph,

Leveling is similar in skyrim to oblivion but there are some key differences. I'm focusing on destruction, conjuration, and one handed fighting. I've been working on alchemy to make money (which also levels you up) but doens't really contribute to your characters "power" . My heavy armor has been increasing as I take hits (generally wear heavy armor, sometime switch over to magic robe stuff).

Those are the main skills I am focusing on but there are other skills that get leveled regardless.
Speech gets leveled up as I sell items, and lockpicking increases as I pick locks. I will probably stop picking locks once I find a spell to open them, but then I will be adding points to alteration in order to pick higher locks.

There is no more acrobatics or athletics skills and longsword, mace, etc. has all been turned into "one handed" (can't remember if that was the case in oblivion but i know in daggerfall there were different skills for each 1 handed weapon type).

You get to assign perks to the various skills. For example, you can assign a perk to destruction that increases the damage from fire spells or you can assign persk that create more one handed damage, use less stamina on power attacks, etc. One perk point is earned for each level up but you can save them and use them on whatever you want.

An example of how the leveling works:
Suppose you leveled up from 9 to 10 through a majority one handed and heavy armor skill level increases. You get to assign one point to either magicka, health, or stamina at each level (no more strength, endurance, agility, speechcraft.)
You now will have 1 perk point that you can assign to whatever you want. Even though the level was acheived from and heavy armor skill increases you could put the perk into destruction if you wanted. an example perk would be the one previously mentioned or something like "apprentice destruction spells cost 25% less magicka". Certain perks are pre-requisites for others and certain perks require a higher level in that particular skill.

Some of the same problems exist if you level a millionn different things but the new system appears to be more balanced. By reducing the total number of skills (removing acrobatics, etc.) and adding the perk system I think the leveling system is greatly improved.

Hope that helps.

-David
Page 126 of 183 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 182 183

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082