Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Axiom Specifications
#31226 01/18/04 09:31 AM
sandeep Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I am looking for more specs on Axioms before I go ahead and make-up my mind to buy them.
Here are some concerns, I would love to hear your comments on them:
1. One of the spec details that's left out from Product spec is the power handling of the speaker. It just mentions about compatible reciever power but not speakers power handling. Am I missing something....? Is there a detailed spec somewhere ?
If one checks with PSBs it gives more info in their spec.

2. Some of the guys on the other forums call Axioms as "bright" (which is not meant as compliment)....... so wondering if Axioms are clear or "clear" to the point they can be called bright sometimes...

3. PSB are known to have good bass......I have read some posting on this forum that Axioms have good bass too....how would they compare to PSBs bass wise.....( Thanks to guys who have answered another one of my postings asking to compare PSB 6Ts and M80s.....)

3. Also, any ideas how Rocket speakers compare to Axioms ?

Thanks,
Sandeep

Re: Axiom Specifications
#31227 01/18/04 09:40 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
1. I'm not sure what you mean by missing. For every speaker there's a Max Amp power listed and a Min Amp power listed. What more is there? Also, it's an almost totally irrelevant spec. See my other rants.

2. They are very clear and accurate, and can expose recordings that were mastered badly (ie, where the treble was over emphasized). This can lead to a perception of brightness. I've never had this perception about the Axioms.

3. Dunno. {Edit} I heard some PSBs several years ago and was not particularly impressed (not that they were bad, they just didn't blow me away). I haven't a clue which model they were. I heard some M22s not so long ago without a sub and was very impressed. Although they didn't have the all the low stuff, it was very, very clean. They weren't trying and failing to reproduce the low bass, it just rolled off very cleanly. I can only imagine how good the bass is on the larger speakers from Axiom.

4. Rockets are extremely laid back. Axioms are extremely accurate (let's call it "clear" just to avoid the b word.)

Last edited by kcarlile; 01/18/04 09:51 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#31228 01/18/04 09:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
yep...what he said.

#31229 01/18/04 03:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Unless you want to drive the Axioms with 1,000 wpc amps outdoors fully cranked, don't worry about power handling, especially on the M60s and M80s. More likely, you will damage your speakers by pushing a smaller amp until it goes into clipping, sending massive distortion to the speakers.

My Axioms are the best speaker I have owned in about 20 years of the hobby. I love them compared to the Rocket 750s. They are also better than Klipsch Forte IIs (which used to be my favorites), my EPIs (very good speakers), My Advents, Pinnacles, Bostons, and my buddy's Infinity speakers.

That being said, I still opted for an SVS sub to go with my Epic 80 system.

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
#31230 01/18/04 08:13 PM
sandeep Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
As for the speaker output, I had something like the following in mind.
(Posting from Image 6T specs)
"INPUT POWER (RMS, Clipping <10% Time)
Recommended 10-200 Watts
Program 150 Watts
Dynamic Peak 300 Watts"

I have checked with someother speaker specs but not all of them list this kinda info......may be this is non-standard info. May be I should get my speaker basics straight

Thanks much all for your responses.

#31231 01/19/04 09:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Sandeep,

First, the M80ti's are tested to levels of 1,200 watts per channel, beyond which point damage may occur. Routinely, they'll handle 700 watts per channel. This means 700 clean watts--no clipping, unlike PSB's specification (clipping 10% of the time).

The preceding comments by kcarlile, spiffnme, willscary, etc. are all accurate. Don't worry about power handling with either the M80ti's of M60s. Each will handle large amounts of input power. The "maximum amp power" figures on our site for those particular models are very conservative.

Go to www.axiomaudio.com/archives/ if you'd like more info on amplifier power and speaker power handling vs acoustic output (click on the August and September 2003 issues of the AudioFile newsletter).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#31232 01/19/04 11:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alan, do you have any SPL measurements of the M80's when your testing them at these levels? how loud do these things actually go before they are fried? id think when you get to that high of wattage the small speaker wire in the cabinets and on the xover would get quite hot. not as much the wire coming from the xover to the drivers, but the two small ones that connect the upper and lower boards.

#31233 01/19/04 11:38 PM
veteran
veteran
If I had to lay down money I would bet they were tested open-air (outside) where the sound continues to travel and they can measure from a safe distance/listening level. (I may be WAYYY off base though)

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
#31234 01/20/04 05:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

You are right. There is a cantilevered arm that swings away from the side of the factory to make quasi-anechoic measurements of speakers mounted to the arm. I'll check with Peter, our lab guy, as to SPL numbers he measured.

I do know we got complaints from a trailer park camping area on the other side of the woods from the factory!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#31235 01/20/04 09:12 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Sandeep,

Regarding the brightness: I owned my Paradigm Mini Monitors (v. 1) before my M22's, and always had a slight issue with brightness. On some CDs I wouldn't notice, then on others a certain part of the music seemed to really shout at me, like cymbal clashes.

I was worried about the M22's alleged brightness, but I have to say that I find them very neutral; I would not describe them as bright, especially compared to my Paradigms. I believe that many people experience speaker break-in during their first 30 hours or so with the Axioms, real or perceived, but after that period they really mellow out and sound neutral. That is definitely what I heard.

-Cooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020